Patched Rom help

Hello everyone.

I'm new to this color option and new to pindmd. I have so far been able to have original roms work and pull from the pal files for 4 color but I can't successfully use the patched roms. I've been able to apply the patch properly, so I think, but can't get anything to work using the patched roms. I've attempted using Metallica and shrek and get the rom termination error everytime. I've changed the rom name in the script and have the pin2dmd.pal in the rom name directory in the altcolor folder in my vpinmame folder.

My clean dots pin2dmd standard color loads perfectly but just can't seem to figure what I'm doing wrong with patched rom files...

I did notice a .dat file in the download for shrek but haven't a clue what to do with it.

Even tried Spider-Man. All the versions of Spider-Man look for rom named sman_261, I can't load using the VE rom let alone a color version.

If anyone is willing to talk to me like a 5 year old and provide a few pointers I'd be grateful.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Content Provider

If you start setup.exe in the pinMame directory and press on test you can find the name of the zip file you have to use
by pressing on check ROMS. 

zip file name = ROM set name

Also check the name of the ROM binary which is in the zip file.

For SMVE it is smanve_101c.zip with smanve_101c.bin in it.

You also have to edit your table script to use that ROM by changing the GameName to "smanve_101c"

Thanks for the response. I could swear I have everything in the right places. I'm going to mess with it again this evening. I'll update this post with how it goes. Maybe I'll just try the test in pinmame instead of loading the full tables.

So I got home today and tried Spider-Man VE..worked like a charm. Somewhere I must have something named wrong on my other attempts. Thanks again for reaching out.

So far Spider-Man VE is the only one I can get working. Tried both Metallica 168 and 170 and shrek. What's the dat file in shrek for and how to use it?
Since 1 works I'll keep messing with it...but I haven't a clue why these aren't

What file does those other zip files contain that the shrek is missing ? pin2dmd.pal ? ;-)

... rename the *.dat

If you look in setup.exe - there is no entry for shr_141c. I seem to remember something about that this rom isn't working for vpm.

Never tried to get it working myself.

And every Metallica version gives a gamename error, rom is renamed in the script. I'm certain everything is in the right spot. Spider man VE still works and looks great in beautiful color.

mtl_170c.zip that contains mtl_170c.bin - mine is 100,663,280 bytes.

Well that helps narrow it down some. From the file name I'll mess with the MikeD patch as it has me name it like yours. There's another 170 patch by JM and a 164...too many. Do you know which table you are using?

Ok finally got Metallica to load into the table but it's crashing vp. Might be a SAM beta version issue. Changing at91jit keeps it from crashing but the dmd stays blank.

Now even when I switch the rom name back and disable color option vpx crashes every other time. Smh....
. Thanks for the suggestions so far guys, really appreciate it. There's so many files and roms and at least 3 patches I might just move to a different table for now. I didn't even have to try for Spider-Man VE and selecting the colorized rom name was right there in the script. I'm determined to get some other color tables so I will keep going, any others anyone can recommend trying next?

You know that you have to completely exit vp if you change the registry ? Also, I had something like what you describe happening to me as well with ACDC - only a reboot solved it. I played version 1.0 of the table with color rom. Downloaded 1.1 - changed to the colored rom in the script but could not for the life of me get it to work. Also, in another thread - someone described that they loaded attack from mars in between tables to make them run correctly. I don't think its a beta thing, I run both vpx and sam beta code. Don't experience your problems.

You know that you have to completely exit vp if you change the registry ? Also, I had something like what you describe happening to me as well with ACDC - only a reboot solved it. I played version 1.0 of the table with color rom. Downloaded 1.1 - changed to the colored rom in the script but could not for the life of me get it to work. Also, in another thread - someone described that they loaded attack from mars in between tables to make them run correctly. I don't think its a beta thing, I run both vpx and sam beta code. Don't experience your problems.

So I went ahead and deleted the registry key for mtl_170c and the nvram. This time I used the color patch from JM but used the naming from MikeD's color patch as I kept getting a name error using the premium monsters table. I downloaded a new rom from sterns site and success! Metallica is running in full color in all its glory!!!

Thalamus I truly appreciate you and your willingness to help! You sharing your file names help me narrow this down as there are so many different roms and at least 3 patches for this table.
One last question, the table support files section on this site...is that all the shared color patches or is there somewhere a patch also for attack from mars?
Probably download the tools and try my hand at coloring one on my own one day.

Shrek still giving rom termination error on startup. I noticed in the table support topic lucky1 speaks to uploading the pal with a /b option. Anyone explain that part?

Shrek and PotC are using inframe coding and are only supported with pin2dmd hardware.

With shrek being based off of family guy is that table requiring the hardware as well?

What did you end up naming 1.1 for AC/DC...also having a time getting this to go...and it's the last one

Archived