Pin2Dmd Colorprism V2.0 Firmware

lucky1

Now I'm stuck...please some help...

Was on V2.50,  everything fine.    Changed USBport to programming port, copied the firmware files to it , display resets and the firmware is 2.55 on the display, so far..so good.

Plugging the USBcable to the other, playing port Windows comes up and says, no driver found.

I have had that before so what I do then, I go into the computer and I delete the unknown device. (see picture)

After that I start Zadig. 

But now the problem I can not resolve anymore:  When in Zadig I click on Show Device it says : Unknown device and I can not install any driver.

Normally here should be displayed something like 'pin2dmd' and then I'm able to install the Windows driver but now, whatever I do, it says no device.

Did reset the display by unplugging it and plugging it again, did a total boot seq of the PC....nothing.

What can I do more?

Thanks!

pin2dd update.JPG

• Replies 454
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After a couple of hours I think I've found it....

looks like a bad usb connection, either the motherboard or at the processorboard causes trouble.

Changed cable and made a very careful connection and it seems to work, now I can work backwards to see what is wrong....
Glad it works now...let's play GB! :-) 

zadig.JPG

OK, 1 problem solved, an other one comes in.....:)  (never a dull moment with VP)

Frimware pin2dmd : 2.55

Used dmddevice etc from 'integration' also 2.55

Ghostbustbusters won't start.  As I run it I do see a short dmd initialisation (change of color?), backglass comes up but playfield won't and VPX terminates.

Now....getting dmddevice etc (3 files) from the 2.50 version then everything is fine, GB starts, having display etc. (firmware still on 2.55)

I do remember that when I was on 2.50 and Lucky released just a new dll for colorisation of GB I had the same problem.

But for now I'll play with 2.55 firmware and 2.50 dmddevice probably without the right colorisation well...perhaps later.

PS: other machines then GB run fine on the total 2.55 combination, it's just GB.

So... not working dmddevice is 94kB (2.55), working one is 93,5kB (2.50) but you only see this when overwriting one with the other, in explorer both look like 94kB.

Checked that but it was never enebled and still is on 0 for that spagb_100 entry.

For me: now I run firmware 2.55 and dmddevice and the other files in integration from 2.50 and I do a handcolorization by the F1 menu and that works.

Tested it with both GB 1.1 and 1.2 but does not work here.

VPX 10.5.0 rev 3359, can upgrade to 3385 to see if that makes any difference... 

Edit: updated to latest VPX Beta build and latest pinmame (mrch 2018) but no difference

thanks!

• Content Provider

I´m running 2.55 as firmware with the latest dmddevice.dll I updated on github 2 days ago on my vpin cab without any problem.
Also GB 1.2 is working fine. There must be another problem on your machine.

What about the test of vpinspa ?

Thank you for testing Lucky.

I did test what you said and it is the same behaviour as starting the GB table with VPX:

with the 2.50 dll I can start the display-test but when I use the 3 files from 'integration' V2.55  and I press start then the program is 'thinking' for a few seconds and then terminates without any warning, just like starting GB within VPX.

In case it helps and you want to have a look: here are my files on the vpinspa which do not work : https://we.tl/DBOMtaH8Xn

Thanks!

• Content Provider

The problem seems to be with libusbk.dll. Removing it from the folder and using winusb as USB driver (Zadig) should fix it.
I will debug the problem when I have some time. libusbk is only needed for backwards compatibility to old libusbwin32 drivers.

Good thinking! 

But....no :)

I am already using the Winusb as driver. 

Nevertheless..... I deleted the libusbk file, ran Zadig again and installed the same driver again (see attachment) and gave it a try, no luck.

What I see is this: 1st: on power up : pin2dmd has the normal standard color-blocks as it shows when it's reset (this is ok, no software has run).

When I enter the spa-pinmame and run the GB test - start: I do see a colorchange in the square blocks on the display but spa-mame crashes without warning.

Display color stays changed, now, running the test again does not change anything, only the crash. 

I did make a USBcap of these 2 tests, may-be it helps? (see file attachment underneath driver-picture)

Thanks for your support!

Driver install.JPG

pin2dmd_no_gb

Now...that's interesting...

Using firmware 2.55 and .dll 2.55 and UNchecking the colour option : GBruns great...even with the same green colors I see when I do check that option.

Pressing F1, enable/check color option, restart table and the problem  is back...with install spa utility uncheck the color and it will work again...?

You have any clue?

Found it!

1st: used your pal : same error.

The my eye catched this...

The name of the 'ROM' in the VpinSPA folder is spagb100

Now..in this same folder there is also the altcolor folder.

In this folder there was a subfolder, and that was the fault,: spagb_100  (notice the underscore)

So..changing the spagb_100 to spagb100 did it and now it works.

Strange though that when the VpinSPA program can not detect a .pal file it crashes....

And strange that the 2.50 dll does not have this behaviour and the 2.55 does.

But found it, thanks for your help!

Update:

although 2.55 works now I did not see any color change when I switched to an other pin2dmd.pal file from an other table where I knew the colors where different.

So...I removed my VPinspa folder and replaced it with a setup -found-  'somewhere' and now everything is fine, even no problem with the spgb_100 folder and, putting in an other .pal file gives a different colored display so...all good.

Thanks for your support! 

I've got a related question to this.

After installing the GB  1.1 vpx table I'm looking to add the colorization. In VPinspa I can test the ROM to work with the altcolor directory and pin2dmd.pal file and it looks awesome.  But then when I load the table in VPX it goes back to orange and colorizes around that, no so awesome.

I thought maybe it could be the firmware of my Pin2DMD. So I disconnected the micro USB cable and plugged in the mini USB on the other side. I loaded the ST Link software and no matter what I do I receive No ST Link found. I'm currently on Firmware 1.46 which I updated to a few months back (November or October last year?) and it worked fine then.

Any ideas on what may be causing this? 

When I plug in the mini USB the DMD boots fine and comes up with the normal Colorprism image, etc.

And assuming it's a zdiag USB driver issue, should I use the version in the master zip file or upgrade to v 2.3?

• Content Provider
1 hour ago, benird said:

I've got a related question to this.

After installing the GB  1.1 vpx table I'm looking to add the colorization. In VPinspa I can test the ROM to work with the altcolor directory and pin2dmd.pal file and it looks awesome.  But then when I load the table in VPX it goes back to orange and colorizes around that, no so awesome.

I thought maybe it could be the firmware of my Pin2DMD. So I disconnected the micro USB cable and plugged in the mini USB on the other side. I loaded the ST Link software and no matter what I do I receive No ST Link found. I'm currently on Firmware 1.46 which I updated to a few months back (November or October last year?) and it worked fine then.

Any ideas on what may be causing this? 

When I plug in the mini USB the DMD boots fine and comes up with the normal Colorprism image, etc.

And assuming it's a zdiag USB driver issue, should I use the version in the master zip file or upgrade to v 2.3?

Uodate your firmware and your dmddevice.dll and GB should work fine.

If your DMD only starts when Mini USB (ST-Link) port is connected you also need to upgrade your ST-Link firmware.

Everything described on pin2dmd.com

Zadig has nothing to do with ST-Link. If you installed libusb drivers for your ST-Link you need to fix this and install the ST-Linke drivers provided by STM.

2 hours ago, lucky1 said:

Uodate your firmware and your dmddevice.dll and GB should work fine.

If your DMD only starts when Mini USB (ST-Link) port is connected you also need to upgrade your ST-Link firmware.

Everything described on pin2dmd.com

Zadig has nothing to do with ST-Link. If you installed libusb drivers for your ST-Link you need to fix this and install the ST-Linke drivers provided by STM.

Sorry for my ignorance but how do I fix the drivers and install those provided by STM? 

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/04/2018 at 2:26 PM, benird said:

Thanks for that. I'll hopefully get onto fixing it tonight.

Did you have any success with this in the end @benird?  I'm trying to update my PIN2DMD firmware (same device as you, bought from OzStick) and for the life of me I simply cannot make the ST-Link software see the Discovery card :angry:

• Content Provider
3 hours ago, smellar said:

Did you have any success with this in the end @benird?  I'm trying to update my PIN2DMD firmware (same device as you, bought from OzStick) and for the life of me I simply cannot make the ST-Link software see the Discovery card :angry:

Are you using the Mini USB or the micro USB ? For ST-Link Mini is correct. For vpin you have to use the micro usb.

3 hours ago, lucky1 said:

Are you using the Mini USB or the micro USB ? For ST-Link Mini is correct. For vpin you have to use the micro usb.

Hi lucky1 :)  I'm following the instructions on pin2dmd.com, so yes ... I unplugged the micro USB and plugged in the mini USB on the opposite side instead.

When I installed the ST-Link software it also installed an old version of their USB drivers.  When ST-Link couldn't detect the card I downloaded a newer version of the drivers (the "STSW-LINK009" download from http://www.st.com/content/st_com/en/products/development-tools/software-development-tools/stm32-software-development-tools/stm32-utilities/stsw-link009.html) and installed those but with the same result.  i also tried uninstalling both versions and installing only the newer ones, but the card is never detected.

You suggested to benird that he must uninstall the device in Device Manager and it should then look for drivers next time it's detected.  However I don't see any ST device in Device Manager to remove :huh:  I'm starting to think my card has failed :(

15 minutes ago, smellar said:

Hi lucky1 :)  I'm following the instructions on pin2dmd.com, so yes ... I unplugged the micro USB and plugged in the mini USB on the opposite side instead.

When I installed the ST-Link software it also installed an old version of their USB drivers.  When ST-Link couldn't detect the card I downloaded a newer version of the drivers (the "STSW-LINK009" download from http://www.st.com/content/st_com/en/products/development-tools/software-development-tools/stm32-software-development-tools/stm32-utilities/stsw-link009.html) and installed those but with the same result.  i also tried uninstalling both versions and installing only the newer ones, but the card is never detected.

You suggested to benird that he must uninstall the device in Device Manager and it should then looks for drivers next time it's detected.  However I don't see any ST device in Device Manager to remove :huh:  I'm starting to think my card has failed :(

Yes this did work for me, but I stupidly corrupted my SATA drivers while doing it, so I had to reinstall Windows and after that it worked fine and the upgrade worked perfectly.  In hindsight I should have done as Lucky1 suggested and it would have had the same effect. However I was tired at the time and wasn't thinking. But yes as Lucky1 said you've got to make sure you've unplugged the USB cable that you use to play the tables with and you pug a cable into the opposite side (it is a different UBS connector) in order for ST-Link to work.

Archived