Vegapin - My Noob-Project

Sascha

Hej Dear Pinheadz

I use to play a lot of Pinball when I was young, but with Age this Passion went a bit to sleep. But just Yesterday i got caught by the Fascination of Virtual Pinballs. I watched all the Tutorials of that Dude scorpius (www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnKXIRK4-J4&list=PLZU98v6HPzNYCxOazPkDtTbBKPIAzi14V) and i was completely blown away. I didnt know something like this even existed and now here i am. One night later, barely slept an hour and already planned my own pinball cabinet: 43"/24" Screens, zebsboards all in one VP-Kit, visual pinball with a Hyperpin frontend.

pst_skizze_vegapin_1_s.png

pst_design_vegapin_1_s.png

Tipping Analysis looks pretty good
vegapin_COM_v1800.png

Place might be an issue here. But if things get packed i can still enlarge the lower belly on the front to get some more space.

Since Im a complete Noob to VPs a lot of - maybe useless - questions pop up. The Most recent one is this:
Focussing on the angle and placement of the playfield-screen and the playfielt glass is saw, that a lot of cabinet designs carry the screen parallel to the floor and only the glass is angled at 6 degrees up.
Is there any practical reason for that? Cause logically it makes no sense to me: The virtual tables are already styled in a kind of 3D-Style where a virtual pinball-backwall is already included. So the playfield itself should be angles at 6 degrees as well; or do i miss on somenting. And a angled playfield would improve the viewing angle on the screen and thus improve the perceptual color quality of the screen innit?

And another Question for you VP-Grandmasters out there ...
i decided to split my built into several phases:

0.    PLANNING IT OUT
- Gather Knowledge
- Lock Design
- Draw Plans
- Structural Analysis
- Final Plans for WoodCut und Assembly
- Shopping List

1.    IT
- Buy Screens
- Buy Computer Parts
- Computer Up And Runnin
- install VP/PinballX/Roms/etc.
- Test the System

2.     ELECTRONICS/MECHANICS
- Buy Controller Boards an Lights/FF-Accessories
- Wire/Solder Components
- Hook up to Computer
- Test Setup

3.     CAB
- Buy Wood and Saw according to Plans
- Screw Cab together
- Apply Decals/Design
- Fit Plexi-Glasses

4.     PUT IT TOGETHER
- Place Components into Cab
- Test if everything is working
- final tunes and fixes
- Assemble & Screw Everything together
- Final Tests
- Prosecco Run

Does that look like a good Plan or am I missing something or
would you put things in another Sequence?

Thanx 4 ya help

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'll be following your build. Prepare for a timesucking, hairpulling, muffled-shouting experience that will be very rewarding in the end.

Do you plan on a full deck-out, including contactors, plunger, knocker, shaker  etc?

The space that you have below your playfield screen seems very very tight. Good luck!!

HejHej Djurre ... yeah ... ive read a lot already on the bumpy ride towards a own VP-Cab ... looking forward to it ;-)

I had planned a full Deck-Out with Zebsboards all in one Solution Solenoids, Shaker, Gears etc. But then I fell in Love

with pfx2 tables. Maybe because of my age Im right in the Middle between traditional FunHouse-Machines, Arcade-Shmups

and the Modern Era of Videogames. I think pfx2 combines the best of all worlds. After All I am a Pinhead 4 sure ;-)

It might not be as real as VP and Co. but has a lot more "unreal" but cool Play-Gagdets and Whistles ;-)

But: pfx2 offers a minimum of Force Feedback ... this i will implement into my Cab. It wont be the

full 8-Solenoid, 2 Contactor-Setup ..but some Contactors in the Front wired to the Vibration-Motor-Cables of a

torn down xbox360 controller. Lighting ill manage with two LED-Wiz and LEDblinky set to Audio-Animation since

pfx2 doesnt have any Light Outputs either. And for nudging/tilt ill be on the videogame-side of things ...

Just Buttons on either side of the Cab and in the Front.

This reduction of Options has advantages as well: Place is not so stuffed anymore as with all the FF-Stuff an cabling ;-)

And the developpers of pfx2 have discovered Cab-Possibilities just yet. They have implemented a

limited Set of Cab-Support into their Soft and said theyll be working it out in the Future.

So Future seems to be bright ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

I've been following your build as I'm planning to build one myself and your design actually got my wondering if I should go for a traditional design, probably the widebody, or your design as it looks realy realy awesome. Issue I might have is that contrary to you I lost hope to compose a motherboard, processor, power etc myself so I bought (a rather big) second hand PC which I don't want to tear appart, so need quite some space.

All the best with your project and keep us up to date!

Very nice work. Thanks for sharing the plans.

You may still want some sort of lockdown bar or at least rounded edges where your hands rest at the buttons - sometimes you want to lean heavily on it when your feet get tired. This sharp edge looks like pain.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

wie gehts!

SWEET! Beautiful job! I am looking at building a cab with a more modern look starting in September. Gives me plenty of inspiration. Did you use something like Blender for the renderings?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Archived