Pin2Dmd Editor

lucky1

• Content Provider

There has been no new update released for the editor in quite some time.  I have a couple of DMDs I would still like to complete.  Several of which are FP tables.  For these, I need the USBcap program to be viable again.

Is anyone working on the editor code?  It would be ashame if the editor has been halted for some reason.  Lots of work put into so far...

Odd question, or feature request. (The feature request could be for either pin2dmd.exe or the -editor.exe, admittedly..)

I haven't used the editor since around the time v2.07 was released.

For real pin integration, is it possible to display an image on the live DMD (not on the screen) showing the current palette? Getting general colors is easy on the editor, but fine tuning has to be done up on the display (since colors on the LCD vary from the DMD...) It'd be a lot easier seeing the changes live for small tweaks to palettes. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I have succeeded to colorize the 4 colors rom with 16 colors

It works with an old version of pin2dmd editor (v1.0.18.0) but not with the last version

Steve, can you look that if you have time :)

Jurassic park intro test

South park intro and multiball (look at 1"38)

You must use SD card  and add in script pin2dmd.exe /u option to upload .fsq file

Hi Steve,

Thanks for answer

Actually after retesting the last release works with "add frameseq" option

However it works bad with "add color mask" option :

1. The colors which I am using are wrong
2. Mask frames are not synchronized with original frames

Result with add color mask :
I will work a little on jurassic park and if you can test on your real pinball it will be pretty good ;)

Edited by sharkky
Add link

Is there capability to capture real pinball output for colorization or must I use the virtual capture method? thank you for all your effort. this project is excellent. I am a pinball machine collector and I am telling everyone I know about this project. It is a great asset to the overall community!!!

-Tom

• Content Provider

Hi Tom, you could also "record" real pinball output with the pin2dmd.exe utility. Files created by this tool can then be imported in the editor. But there are problems with this kind of recordings because of the different way pinball hardware feeds the dmd.

In general recording from the VP are much better to use for colorizing.

Br Stefan

I'm sorry to ask this but why is the real pinball recording not as good as the VP recording? It's just much easier for me to trigger all of the animations quickly on a real pinball by hitting switches manually. Thank you for all your help. I'm very excited to start coloring my junk yard and medieval madness pinball machines. 

• Content Provider
I'm sorry to ask this but why is the real pinball recording not as good as the VP recording? It's just much easier for me to trigger all of the animations quickly on a real pinball by hitting switches manually. Thank you for all your help. I'm very excited to start coloring my junk yard and medieval madness pinball machines. 

Essentially it's because recording from real machine grabs images after DMD controller while co grabs images before "controller". Controller for DMD in real machines process images to render gray scale image by displaying a sequence of subframes and each DMD controller does it in a different way.
If you have such a recording you need to restore the original image from the subframes, which is not always possible without loss of quality.
So having recordings from co is better because it always gives you perfect frames.

Regards Steve

Gesendet von meinem SM-G930F mit Tapatalk

• Content Provider

By the way: you can also fake switches in vp mame. I do not remember exactly, but you can of cause use the editor to modify play fields and even move the ball with the mouse

Gesendet von meinem SM-G930F mit Tapatalk

Im hoping someone can give me a quick and dirty instruction on how to start the capture process from virtual pinball or vp mame or whatever is easiest best. something like:

1. Download virtual pinball and install software

2. open a session in the pin2dmd editor

3. start table in virtual pinball

4. hit capture button in pin2dmd editor

I can figure out the details but a quick high level instruction would probably save me some time. Also, I am only interested in capturing DMD animations for pin2dmd colorization in real pinball machines so the easiest and most basic approach would be appreciated!! Thank you in advance!!!

-Tom

Ok, got vpinmame up and running with the modified vpinmame.dll for recording animations. I can run pinball roms showing animations in the setup utility with the test mode and trigger switches with the keyboard. Can I record the animations with this method?

• Content Provider

As a beginning yes. You just need to enable both external DMD and dmd window together and should end up with a dump txt file which you have to gzip for the editor to use it. It is is better to run a game with visual pinball however.

cool. I will try it tonight. why would it be better to run a game in visual pinball? oh, and I am getting an error when I start a table that says "pinDMD not found". It still seems to be working fine.  any ideas on that error? maybe its because I don't have any devices hooked up to the computer and it thinks there should be one for the external DMD?

Ok. so I can record files just like I want to but now I have 2 questions:

1. Is there a way to have the software place the dump file in a specified folder instead of just in the base vpinmame folder?

2. What is the easiest way to gzip the file. I downloaded the command line executable from gzip website but im not sure how to use it.

Thank you!

-Tom

• Content Provider
15 hours ago, tjc02002 said:

Ok. so I can record files just like I want to but now I have 2 questions:

1. Is there a way to have the software place the dump file in a specified folder instead of just in the base vpinmame folder?

2. What is the easiest way to gzip the file. I downloaded the command line executable from gzip website but im not sure how to use it.

Thank you!

-Tom

1. No

2. I use 7zip

On 19/10/2016 at 11:52 PM, sharkky said:

Hi Steve,

I will work a little on jurassic park and if you can test on your real pinball it will be pretty good ;)

Hey Steve,

Did you test Jurassic Park Projects which I sent you?

I wonder if the project with "add color mask" works fine on your real JP because on my pincab it does not works correctly

Thanks