[Vp10] Visual Pinball 10 - Beta

heh, I remember having a go with Randy about the slow down many years ago. He NEVER fixed bugs, too into adding new stuff and do the fun bits only. If i remember, Black had fixed it with the "other" version of VP7, but that never came into being, though it did turn into the basis for FP. Fixing that alone would chop a bit of time off design. As to the complexity, I'm sure there will be manuals, because it's very hard to figure out what the hell some of this stuff actual is or does. Maybe add tool tip rollovers as well over some of the stuff in the editor to explain what it does. Lot of grunt work but sure helps people without having to dig through forums and manuals just to get a brief idea.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey, could someone post their video settings? I have got to have something set wrong. JP's table is perfectly playable aside from the weird moving static look around shadows.  However Vern's World is beyond unplayable.  It looks fine but the lights don't change  for like 20 or 30 seconds and the sound stutters at about the same speed.  It's like I'm trying to run it on a TRS80.  Their can't be that much difference in those two tables can there?

Hello,... in the world of VP i'm a complete noob... my background is graphic design, I was a signmaker/vehicle wrap designer for over 20yrs

the reason I bring this up is, since recreating PF and BG images are designed in vector or raster based programs.... vector more importantly (no lose of quality no matter how big it is)

also the fact that when designing the plastics if they could be designed in say Illustrator (or any vector program) saved as an EPS file and imported into VP this could alleviate the archaic method that is use in VP today

complete plastics sets could be brought in at once... at this point i'm only saying the contours but if a complete EM tales designs could be imported no matter if you played it on a tablet or on a 50" 4k TV it would show the same detail and quality.... I know I'm dreaming... but hey...

I also want to point out that knowing there are people out there still working on VP to make it better by the day gives pinball even more hope when our generation is gone...

I personally am truly thankful 

You are absolutely right about the vector gfx. But technology-wise we're not there yet (it's quite some pain currently to support vectors as textures in 3D, especially if you want to have it fast). Maybe when VP11 comes at some point though.  :)

Or as a workaround, bake it into bitmap textures, depending on the resolution/device? Hmmm.. ..

• 3 weeks later...

Why don't you guys just not call it Visual Pinball and find a new name? All of the changes have broken everything, even basic script commands in place since day 1. Just remove vpt support completely, since it is just as fast to build a new version from scratch rather than spend all those hours changing thousands of objects because of Materials. (Couldn't someone just write some code that would automatically assign a generic default material through the exe if the material is blank in the editor that at least lets us keep our color settings so we don't get a huge pink mass?)

If everything is going to be completely changed, you might as well just go all the way, add all this new stuff without having to worry about older versions, which is a total mess anyway with incompatability, and at the very least, prevent a lot of confusion down the road

When is a help file coming if you know?

• 1 month later...

Could someone upload the latest version here please? From the sounds of it, it's close to being finished as a beta, and since I finally got a different graphics card NVidia I can actually use vp now, or at least play. Did the magnification bug get fixed?

You are absolutely right about the vector gfx. But technology-wise we're not there yet (it's quite some pain currently to support vectors as textures in 3D, especially if you want to have it fast). Maybe when VP11 comes at some point though.  :)

Or as a workaround, bake it into bitmap textures, depending on the resolution/device? Hmmm.. ..

Thanks for considering it! If we use vectors in the tables it will mimick a lot FP/3D feeling. As far I do the art, I just use 300dpi images to get the highest image quality when converting them to jpg. Using other non compresed methods will take a huge step in table size :D downloads of ~400mb in my case for a complete table lol

• 3 months later...

maybe it's already clear to everyone here, but i was just wondering if it's at all possible to run VP10 and VP9.9 next to each other in a cabinet.
you know, like how you have that vpexecutable.txt file where you can define which version to start from HyperPin.

i mean i like the progress of course, but i also have like a 100 nice pinballs i won't be able to play in VP10.
so that makes me a bit reluctant to go and completely change my setup, you understand right?

maybe it's already clear to everyone here, but i was just wondering if it's at all possible to run VP10 and VP9.9 next to each other in a cabinet.

you know, like how you have that vpexecutable.txt file where you can define which version to start from HyperPin.

i mean i like the progress of course, but i also have like a 100 nice pinballs i won't be able to play in VP10.

so that makes me a bit reluctant to go and completely change my setup, you understand right?

Yes it is 100% possible and easy to do, using PinballX. I'm sure it can be done with Hyper-whatever you are using also and all it come down to is adding another system. Give it a different name and point it to the correct .exe and you are all set. I have VP 9.9.1, PM5, and VPX all in the same folder and all running with no conflicts using PinballX.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

actually i live in the Netherlands / Holland.
NewJersey is just a name i liked, since my real name is Jerry but people call me Jersey.

I had found that maybe my machine is not up to it.
PinballX uses too much resources, all kinds of weird problems and like the processor was constant busy.

Oh and I really have zero problems with HyperPin, works great (and stable) on my cab.

Yes it is 100% possible and easy to do, using PinballX. I'm sure it can be done with Hyper-whatever you are using also and all it come down to is adding another system. Give it a different name and point it to the correct .exe and you are all set. I have VP 9.9.1, PM5, and VPX all in the same folder and all running with no conflicts using PinballX.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Yep, I second that!. 

In your vpexecutable just add the table name and on the next line add the name of your VPX exe file. Works like a champ.

• Administrators

Just give up on PinballX... For HP you just change the table file extension from .vpx to .vpt. Then in your vpexecutable.txt have that game load with vpinballx.exe. Add table to your database and there you go.

• Content Provider

Like the devs gave up on HyperPin for a couple years? I know *secret stuff* is happening but seriously, as far as anyone else knows it's out of date abandonware. PinballX is updated regularly. Recommending that someone give up on PinballX and use HyperPin instead is not a great idea UNTIL *secret stuff* is no longer *secret stuff*!!!!!!

Archived