Proper HDR tone mapping is now possible!

A while ago Nvidia released a patch for their cards that has a new option that uses AI to tonemap HDR into SDR video. At the moment it only officially works with browsers and stuff like YouTube. But it might not come as a surprise that as soon as this new feature was released, someone already made it work for pretty much anything. (credits to emoose for creating this mod)

I've already tested this out with Visual Pinball and it works flawlessly! The results are stunning! If you have an HDR capable display you absolutely have to try it out and see for yourself. It is a night and day difference!

It's super easy to install and turn on as well:
Note: You need an NVIDIA graphics card for it to work.

- First download Nvidia Profile Inspector from Github > https://github.com/Orbmu2k/nvidiaProfileInspector/releases

- Secondly you need to download the HDR XML file from NEXUS mods >  https://www.nexusmods.com/site/mods/781?tab=files&file_id=2741

- Once both are installed. Extract both of these files into the SAME folder.

- Now you can open the Profile Inspector app. At the top navbar - Press the Sun button to add a new variant. Call it VPX.

- Press the Add App button (to the right of the X), and direct it to the Visual Pinball exe. (use the correct exe. for most it will be VPinballX64.exe)

- No directly below you will see the various HDR options. Turn the first setting to High Quality and everything else to ON, hit Apply Changes in the navbar.

- Since the HDR is now being handled properly by Nvidia with the help of this mod, make sure Windows Auto HDR and the force 10bit output option in video / graphics settings of Visual Pinball is turned OFF.

- Start a table and ENJOY!

UPDATE:
Nvidia now also supports it OFFICIALLY! without the use of the mod. LINK TO NEW NVIDIA APP.
Just download the latest Nvidia software here, add the game to your library and toggle HDR on.

(if you'd already used the MOD, maybe switch that back off, just in case it doesn't interfere.)

Edited by JulianDarcy

Thank you for this great guide!

I just followed it but i have two questions:

1. Where can i make sure that HDR is turned off in VPX graphic settings? I can't find this in my settings...

2. Do i have to turn off AUTO-HDR in Windows 11 Display HDR settings to make this work?

Hi KoolKolo,

The HDR option is called. Force 10Bit Monitor support under Display settings of Graphical settings.
Auto HDR does indeed need to be turned of!

UPDATE:
Nvidia now also supports it OFFICIALLY! without the use of the mod. LINK TO NEW NVIDIA APP.
Just download the latest Nvidia software here, add the game to your library and toggle HDR on.

(if you'd already used the MOD, maybe switch that back off, just in case it doesn't interfere.)

Edited by JulianDarcy

• Content Provider

Ok, well, this is still a beta release. I'll wait and see. It's not clear if there is a benefit for my older Pascal card. Simulated HDR may be more of a DX thing than GL which may not be much help for the VR folks or for overall VPX performance. Not trying to be a bummer; I'm glad that there will be updates to GEForce Experience, but I'll keep an eye on it and see how it works out for the early adopters.

23 hours ago, JulianDarcy said:

Hi KoolKolo,

The HDR option is called. Force 10Bit Monitor support under Display settings of Graphical settings.
Auto HDR does indeed need to be turned of!

UPDATE:
Nvidia now also supports it OFFICIALLY! without the use of the mod. LINK TO NEW NVIDIA APP.

Says i have to disconnect additional monitors to use this feature?

On 2/27/2024 at 6:39 PM, JulianDarcy said:

Hi KoolKolo,

UPDATE:

Hi JulianDarcy,

i just switched the mod off again, installed the latest driver and the nvidia app.

I can enable RTX HDR for videos and the RTX Dynamic vibrance, but i can't find the RTX HDR for the "game".

I set as game the VPinballX64.exe but i can't see the RTX HDR option there.

I turned AUTO HDR off and HDR on in the display settings.

I have an RTX 3060.

Did i do something wrong?

Edited by KoolKolo

22 hours ago, KoolKolo said:

Hi JulianDarcy,

i just switched the mod off again, installed the latest driver and the nvidia app.

I can enable RTX HDR for videos and the RTX Dynamic vibrance, but i can't find the RTX HDR for the "game".

I set as game the VPinballX64.exe but i can't see the RTX HDR option there.

I turned AUTO HDR off and HDR on in the display settings.

I have an RTX 3060.

Did i do something wrong?

Turn Auto HDR off (from windows 11), Turn Force 10bit off in VPX.
Then, all you have to do is open that new Nvidia App, Add the game and turn HDR on as Highlighted in the screenshot.
If that doesn't work I don't know what's wrong.  :(

Screenshot 2024-02-29 210400.png

I just installed this but for some reason my system isn't detecting my HDR-compatible display as having HDR ability. Any suggestions as to why that might be the case? I have a TCL 43S435 4K playfield display. Also, I can't figure out how to add VPinballX64.exe to the games list in the Nvidia app. Does it need internet connectivity to work? I've had my cabinet disconnected from the internet to avoid automated system updates that might break things.

@technabob HDR doesn't work with multiple displays (yet!) unless both are HDR compatible, but you can add it to the list by going to graphics in the app, click on the 3 dots + add a program, then add your VPinballX64.exe

• 1 month later...

Out of curiosity, should we be using HDR at all in VPX? I had mine turned on and I did like the appearance of it but it would create artifacts when exiting a game in Pinup Popper so I turned it off.