lots of Roms seem to be missing the sound files

• Content Provider
22 minutes ago, darrin868 said:

I just did a rom test and noticed a bunch of the roms are missing the sound files - The Addams family l7, stranger things, hook, white water, Medieval madness, Theater of magic and more.

is this normal?

Try this Addams Family rom.. (taf_l7)

https://pinballnirvana.com/forums/resources/taf_l7.2451/

I also noticed alot of the roms were missing sound files awhile back.

So I updated our rom section back in 2022, and replaced them with my personal collection, which I make sure the roms are good and have the sound files.

• Content Provider
1 hour ago, Wylte said:

It's a choice

The roms I replaced were not split, but were missing sound files.

It was an old collection uploaded to Pinball Nirvana almost 2 decades ago.

• Content Provider

The collection here is as complete as possible and it is up to date. Sets are checked against the PinMAME source. If you can't find it here then it has either been restricted by license holders (e.g, Gottlieb) or you can get current code at sternpinball.com. It works... if you get the parent rom. If you want it easier than use a rom auditor like clrmamepro to batch check your collection.

• Content Provider

Alot of roms are missing sound files at the IPDB site.

Or if you download someone elses collection, or torrent, or Archive, you will notice alot of sound files missing.

It is best to do your own homework and test each rom yourself, other than relying on someone elses collection, hoping they tested each rom.

Best to download roms from here at VPUniverse, or Pinball Nirvana if you want the non split roms, both sites include the missing sound files.

Thanks @CarnyPriest for helping keep this rom collection up to date!

And thanks to the VPinMAME Devs!

Your work is appreciated!

Carry on sir.

• Content Provider

All credit goes to VPinMAMEdev and all the people around the world who are finding and dumping previously lost code from ancient chips and the modders that are still fixing bugs and adding features to ancient code.

• Content Provider
3 hours ago, CarnyPriest said:

All credit goes to VPinMAMEdev and all the people around the world who are finding and dumping previously lost code from ancient chips and the modders that are still fixing bugs and adding features to ancient code.

Yes I have heard stories where they traveled 1000's of miles to remote locations, just to get rom dumped, or to record sounds.

Truly is an amazing feat that continues to this very day!

Many people don't know or realize, just how much work is put into all these different little aspects of Virtual Pinball.

From dumping roms, to recording sounds, to taking pics of playfields, to 3D models, and all of the programs and people who work on these programs that help run these things.

It really is incredible how it all comes together in the end.

Best preservation project ever!