Altsound for older tables

Peace Y'all,

One of my favorite tables from my youth (Supersonic Bally 1979) has different sound in the vpx from the real pinball.  People tell me its because the older tables have a generic sound package in vpinmame for a specific manufacturer (or something like that).  Sometime the original sounds are not available.

My question is how does one go about getting the original sounds from a real pin to make an altsound file?  Who knew that the original sound of a pinball was so important that I don't want to play the vpx version without it?  I might be willing to make an altsound package for this table if its doable without spending a lot of time and money to do it.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Vpinmame always use the included sound roms of a given Rom.

There are no "generic" sound effects in Vpinmame .

Only very few old rombased tables have strange sound creation, so for these very few tables/roms are few separated sound.zips in sample folder.

EM tables or original tables have no Rom, therefore no "internal sound"; they use separate sound snippets for any kind of effects, located inside the table file and viewable/editable in sound manager.

These sound snippets can be of course exchangeable with other sound snippets/samples
Some VP (EM or original table) creators use perhaps same sound snippets/samples for different tables, regardless if they based on Bally, Williams, Gottlieb, ...

And one additional point: even when the table use the Rom and the rom-included sounds, you probably hear differences... What speakers where in the original table cabinet? What amplifier?

And what have you now in your computer for the VPX? What speakers? Amplifier? Exciters?

This CANNOT be the exact same sound feeling as in the old original

Edited by digitalarts

Peace,

Well good news.  F6 is your friend.  All this time I didn't know it existed.  There are four (4) sound options and the last one was the correct one.  JPSalas has the default sound as "Chimes."  The table I played as a child used "Noise."  I couldn't be happier.  I promised myself that if I could ever get the right sound on this table, I'd make a pup pack.  Pup Pack under construction and about 75% done.  I'm still learning how to do Pup Packs for the older Solid State and EM tables so it might be a minute before it's done.  I'm running into some random event triggers for no apparent reason but I'm slowly getting rid of them.

29 minutes ago, JCalhoun said:

Very cool. Yeah, went on YouTube and could swear different videos of the actual game had different sounds. I guess there was a configurable DIP switch for the sound.

Peace,

Yes, I did the same.  All the real pin videos had the traditional sound and all the vpx tables had the chime sound.  That's the reason I didn't think it was in the vpx version.  At that time I didn't know I could change the dip switches in F6.  The one Future Pinball video I found had the traditional sound.  Double win for me because I got the sound I wanted and learned something new about vpx and the F commands.

54 minutes ago, RabidUrko said:

Quite a few tables have loads of variables you can change using F6.

I found this out under a similar situation as yourself.

Peace,

The only thing that bothers me about it is that it took 8 months for me to figure that out.  Is there any such thing as a vpx data sheet, with all the F Commands and other valuable information a newbie like me would appreciate?