DOF Config and rom names

How do folks deal with using alternate roms for a table and DOF? I've noticed that for most tables, DOF still works regardless. I'm assuming there may be some sort of default where the table still provides basic DOF functionality if the ROM doesn't make the table config? But I've also encountered tables where DOF only works if I use the ROM as defined in the config. If you use an alternate ROM, do folks normally go in by hand and alter the ini/xml files to that new name? If so, it seems that would cause issues when you update with new config files for new games as it would overwrite. Apologies if I'm misunderstanding something here! I didn't see a way in the config tool to provide / save alternate ROM names.

dof is only working if a dof config was found.

it belong always to the used "cgamename" in table script. This name is checked and compared until the _ sign

example: for Black Knight the dof config is named "bk"

so in the table script the cgamename can be one of the given vpinmame rom-version names

"bk_l1" or "bk_l2" or "bk_l3" and so on

additionally you can set an entry in vpmalias.txt, like "bk_mypup,bk_l2"

so you can use 'bk_mypup' as cgamename in your table script, and dof still is working

(if you set "mypup_bk,bk_l2" in vpmalias.txt and 'mypup_bk' as cgamename in script, the table itself and vpinmame is working - but NO dof !)

Edited by digitalarts

4 hours ago, digitalarts said:

dof is only working if a dof config was found.

it belong always to the used "cgamename" in table script. This name is checked and compared until the _ sign

example: for Black Knight the dof config is named "bk"

so in the table script the cgamename can be one of the given vpinmame rom-version names

"bk_l1" or "bk_l2" or "bk_l3" and so on

additionally you can set an entry in vpmalias.txt, like "bk_mypup,bk_l2"

so you can use 'bk_mypup' as cgamename in your table script, and dof still is working

(if you set "mypup_bk,bk_l2" in vpmalias.txt and 'mypup_bk' as cgamename in script, the table itself and vpinmame is working - but NO dof !)

Oh! That explains why some roms are working with underscored ROM names. It sounds like what I should be doing is aliasing when the ROM name is significantly different.

Of course you have to use vpmalias.txt.

Neve try to simply rename a Vpinmame rom.zip

The real Rom name, the internal Rom parts and their checksums are "hard coded" in Vpinmame.dll

So if you try to rename a rom.zip (as example rename bk_l2.zip to Blacknight.zip) this never will work

One more alternative, if you have some tables which use same Rom, is the use of the "nvoffset" function in the table scripts.

So the same Rom can use separate .nv files to store different scores, settings...