Stutter only during first time events, early play?

I having odd stuttering issues the first time an event, animation, etc is triggered on all tables in VPX 10.8gl with quest 3 and virtual desktop or oculus link using Steam VR. For instance, the first time the visor opens on Pinbot or i hit the upper right ramp I get heavy stuttering for a second but it will then smooth out for the rest of my playtime. It makes the first 1 or 2 plays of a table frustrating because everything smooths out nicely after the initial stuttering. Its as if the sound/animation needs to load into memory of some sort before it smooths out.

i’ve done all of the lowering of graphical settings, changing audio drivers, gsync/vsync off in nvidia app, frame pacing enabled, changing VD codec, etc and I’m out of ideas. I’m running a I7 with a 3070 and have no performance issued of this type in any other vr game. Vpx runs smooth except for these initial event stutters. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

On 1/10/2024 at 8:01 AM, Btmmayor said:

I having odd stuttering issues the first time an event, animation, etc is triggered on all tables in VPX 10.8gl with quest 3 and virtual desktop or oculus link using Steam VR. For instance, the first time the visor opens on Pinbot or i hit the upper right ramp I get heavy stuttering for a second but it will then smooth out for the rest of my playtime. It makes the first 1 or 2 plays of a table frustrating because everything smooths out nicely after the initial stuttering. Its as if the sound/animation needs to load into memory of some sort before it smooths out.

i’ve done all of the lowering of graphical settings, changing audio drivers, gsync/vsync off in nvidia app, frame pacing enabled, changing VD codec, etc and I’m out of ideas. I’m running a I7 with a 3070 and have no performance issued of this type in any other vr game. Vpx runs smooth except for these initial event stutters. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Funny you mention that... I am also experiencing this same issue although I think it is only on tables with Pup Packs which led me down the VLC troubleshooting path (to no avail). I am running the latest 10.8 GL beta so I may try earlier versions and see if I experience the same issue. As an FYI, I am running a 4090 with a Quest 2 using Virtual Desktop with VDXR. If I switch from VDXR back to Steam VR I no longer experience the issue although performance is not as good.

2 hours ago, BMAC said:

Funny you mention that... I am also experiencing this same issue although I think it is only on tables with Pup Packs which led me down the VLC troubleshooting path (to no avail). I am running the latest 10.8 GL beta so I may try earlier versions and see if I experience the same issue. As an FYI, I am running a 4090 with a Quest 2 using Virtual Desktop with VDXR. If I switch from VDXR back to Steam VR I no longer experience the issue although performance is not as good.

I’ve searched pretty extensively and have never seen this early game stutter issue mentioned before.  I’m sorry you are also experiencing it but I’m glad to see I’m not alone.

I’m very new to this hobby having installed baller installer a few weeks ago and kind just of stumbled into the VR version by accidentally launching the vpxgl when I was messing around with the alternate launcher in pinup popper.   When you switch to VDXR in virtual desktop what do you use to launch the game?  I’ve only ever used the pinup popper so I clearly need to learn a bit more about what I’m doing to potentially fix this problem.

11 hours ago, Btmmayor said:

I’ve searched pretty extensively and have never seen this early game stutter issue mentioned before.  I’m sorry you are also experiencing it but I’m glad to see I’m not alone.

I’m very new to this hobby having installed baller installer a few weeks ago and kind just of stumbled into the VR version by accidentally launching the vpxgl when I was messing around with the alternate launcher in pinup popper.   When you switch to VDXR in virtual desktop what do you use to launch the game?  I’ve only ever used the pinup popper so I clearly need to learn a bit more about what I’m doing to potentially fix this problem.

Hi Btmmayor, join our Discord and read all about it here https://discord.gg/uAFcfYSbta  if you don't want to let me know and I can post some stuff here.

17 hours ago, Btmmayor said:

I use VPX VR-Launcher 4 (an alternative to Popper) - it is the VR view of all my tables (works out of the box). My process when I want to play is, I use my Quest 2 which I have purchased the Virtual Desktop application. I have installed on my Windows PC the Streamer software from the same company (this part is free) - it automatically starts with Windows so I don't have to worry about that. Within its configuration it is set to use VDXR (not Auto).

In the background, I run the OpenComposite RuntimeSwitcher which automatically keeps the OpenXR 32 and 64-bit DLL's up to date - By default, I have OpenComposite as the default (which is greyed out when it is active). I believe this intercepts any VR requests through these libraries but you can configure specific programs to target certain runtimes if needed. I.e. I use 32-bit VPX 10.7 for an old table that will not run in 64-bit nor 10.8 (but these are all nice-to haves in addition to getting the basics working).

Once all the above is said and done, I start my Quest 2, select the Virtual Desktop application and it connects to my computer (you will need to do some manual setup to start with). Once that is loaded up, I start VPX VR-Launcher 4. I am now in a virtual world with all my pinball machines. I then browse to the table I want and then start it. SteamVR will not open if all is good.

I managed to sort out my audio issue - I just switched audio to use my Oculus instead of my computer so not sure if it is fully fixed but I don't get any issues with the audio using this method.

Thank you guys so much for the help and thanks for the detailed startup info BMAC.  I’ll definitely check out the Discord link and see if I can get this dialed in.  

Edited by Btmmayor

• 2 weeks later...

So I was able to set up OpenComposite so I can now run VR without Steam.  Unfortunately this has not helped the micro stutters.  I noticed when turning on the VD performance overlay that my framerate holds a solid 90 but when I get the small stutters it goes to 86 for a second then goes back to 90.  Only dropping to 86 frames makes me think its not a problem with graphic settings or cpu/gpu load but something else causing the hitch when the framerate lowers slightly.  

One thing I did notice in my endless setting changes is that when I set Virtual desktop framerate to 72 instead of 90 it got worse.  Does it make a difference what the desktop/monitor refresh rate is when playing in VR?  Do I need to sync them  up somehow with VPX  and Virtual Desktop involved?  Just grasping at straws at this point...lol. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, I have the same problem with the latest OpenGL 10.8 64 bit RC1. Different tables have some stutter moments when an event is triggered for the first time (+/- 20fps drop). After this, I get a solid 144fps when the  same event hits. I don't use VR so the issue is not perse VR related. Help or clarification would be appreciated :)

@studlygoorite I also joined the mentioned Discourt group but couldn't find the specific topic.