Struggling With Directoutput Framework Setup, Stumped, Any Ideas?

kickthefog

Hi Everyone,  

First and foremost I'd like to thank SwissLizard and all involved in this new DirectOutput framework.  I'm very grateful and exited to begin using it.  THANK YOU!

I have read the entire websites install directions many times and still have been struggling with Directoutput Framework install all weekend and all today.   I can't figure out why this isn't working and hopefully someone can offer some ideas if you would please?

My setup:  

I have  working Pincab with Hyperpin frontend, a single LEDwiz, with the latest Version of Visual Pinball, all setup and working, with LED's only at this time.  

What I did to try and get Direct output framework working:

I setup my cabinet config on the Directoutput LEDWiz config website, changed my config from legacy to DirectOutput, and downloaded my config files.

I installed B2S Backglass Server v1.3.0.1 and ran the register file to register it.  I'm using Medieval Madness as my test table so I of course changed the visual pinball script to load B2s.Server instead of the vpinmame controller and My Backglass is working fine.  I'm able to click on the backglass and hit the S key to open the directb2s server config window.  All is well there. 

I then checked the enable plugins check box and unchecked the error on no backglass checkbox.  I saved the settings of course.  I then checked the Directb2s.xml file and made sure it stuck....  and yes the plugins enabled line entry now equals 1 as it is supposed to.

I added a DirectOutput folder on the root of my C Drive and unzipped DirectOuput Framework Release 1 V0.6.5052.2254 into it.  I then ran the file to register direct output and that was successful also.  

I then went to my Visual pinball tables directory and created the plugins folder and put a shortcut to my c:\DirectOutput folder into it per the instructions.

Still not working, I also put the entire DirectOutput contents folder into the plugins folder under my tables directory, thinking the shortcut thing wasnt working.  but still no luck.

I've tried all the above with both the old LEDCONTROL.INI files and the new Directoutput.ini's that were created by the website config tool.

So I've done all that i think are necessary but nothing is happening when i invoke the game in visual pinball with my DirectB2S backglass running successfully.

I also downloaded a global config example that i saw posted here by swisslizard and that didn't seem to help.  

This is where it gets interesting....

I then ran the DirectOutputConfigTester.exe, using Medieval Madness as my test table and pointing it to the global config that i downloaded as mentioned above... and My lights DO LIGHT UP!  I am able to click on Enable all lights, and disable all lights and the controlled lights seems to work....  meaning my Start Button (Lamp 88 I think) and my launch ball button (Lamp 18 I think) both work.

So things seem to be Hooked up and installed right in order to have the test work... but when I start the game.... nothing happens.

I have no clue what to do next.  Is anyone able to offer a suggestion?

I have a whole boatload of feedback stuff on order from ZebsBoards and am hoping to get this resolved so that i can hookup all that new stuff to this awesome framework rather than the old school route.

Oh, I also blew away and re-installed .Net Framework 4 thinking that might be messed up, but that didn't change anything.

Thanks for any help anyone might be able to provide.  It is appreciated!

Pat

randr: Yes,  sorry I left that part out.  Yes I edited the core.vbs and removed the line that loads the ledcontrol stuff.  My lights stop working as expected in legacy mode when I did this so I know I edited it correctly.  I am running windows XP so none of my dll's show that they are locked. But yes, I did check them.

arngrim:    Do you mean don't use the Global config file?  i don't see that I have a cabinet.xml file anywhere.  

I tried opening the "front end" of the directoutput program from within the DirectOutputtest,exe.  After the front end opens up I tried to configure some things, but despite reading the directions several times,  I'm not sure what the heck i'm doing with it, and am under the impression that i don't need to do anything with it anyway since it auto detects stuff. But I tried anyway and when I try to save the settings in the main front end, it spits out an error that some of my settings aren't correct or something along those lines, and won't let me save.

i dunno...

Thanks for your responses... Any other ideas?

Pat

• Content Provider

here is a dof package that should work straigt away, once you put the ini files on the tables folder, register the new b2s.server and add these lines to your B2STableSettings.xml

<B2STableSettings>
  <ArePluginsOn>1</ArePluginsOn>
  <ShowStartupError>0</ShowStartupError>

extract this package to your tables folder

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y0ijmybetcqy26x/dof.rar

Cue the music!!  da da da da    da da   da  daaaaaaaa!

IT WORKS!!    

Many many thanks to Arngrim (and randr)!     I appreciate your help guys!

Interesting.... being curious why your package works and mine doesn't, I looked at the differences with the software you sent me.  Yours (the working one) has the directory named "plugin".   Where mine was named "plugins". The DirectOutput website shows and mentions it as needing to be "plugins" (plural).   So of course, I renamed my directory to plugin and it STILL doesn't work.  LOL

Owelll, who cares... I'm using your software package and loving it.  I'm still curious why mine doesn't work but i'm happy as heck never the less.

One last question please: 

I found that if the table has NO credits on it, none of the lights, light up.  As soon as I insert enough coins to have 1 credit or more on the machine then the lights light up immediately and all is well.  It almost seems like the code is looking for the start button to be lit as a condition to be "enabled" or something.

No huge deal,  but I wonder if there is a fix or workaround for this? 

Thanks again guys!!

Pat

Thanks again guys...

Actually its ALL the lights that do not light up until there is a credit on the machine.  Coin, how to play, start, exit, etc...  all are dark until the first credit is put on the machine.  Then they all light up, as they should according to my .ini file. 

I messed around and tried to enter/exit  the table with and without credits already there.   

If I have credits on the machine it works fine.

If i leave credits on the machine, exit out back to hyperpin... when I enter the table all the lights are on already, just as they should be. All good.

If i play all the games off the machine so there are zero credits remaining... the lights will stay on and will of course go off when i exit back to hyperpin....  but then when i enter back into the game with it having zero credits,  the lights, none of them, will turn on until i put a credit on the machine.  Then all the expected lights turn on. Not all of them... only the ones that are supposed to as defined in the .ini.

It does this exact behavior on any machine...  i tried Safe Cracker,  Medieval Madness, Monster Bash, Theatre of Magic, Scared Stiff... they all do it.

So this is not expected or normal?

Pat

Thanks Arngrim,

I tried it outside of Hyperpin and it works fine.  Lights activate immediately with or without credits.  all good there.

I have no such VBS's and nothing pointing to them in my hyperpin settings.ini.    I assume you mean the "Startup Program" and "Exit Program" sections of the hyperpin settings.ini?    So there are some vbs scripts i need to be pointing those sections to?  If so,  where do I get those?

Boy, I'm gonna owe you some beers or something after all this help!   Actually, I think I already do!

:)

Pat

• Content Provider

Thanks, any beers are welcome, even after a new years party :D

in your settings.ini of hp, here is where you add the led bat files

[startup Program]
Executable          = C:\HyperPin\ledset.bat
Parameters          =
Working_Directory   =
WinState            = HIDDEN

[Exit Program]
Executable          = C:\HyperPin\ledclear.bat
Parameters          =
Working_Directory   =
WinState            = HIDDEN

And here are the files, hope it will work with?

Thanks again.

I just had to change the .bat line to read: @%SystemRoot%\system32\ in order to find cscript on my windows xp machine and they are working.

OK,  now that I've looked these files over you sent, and played around a bit,  I have a better understanding of what's happening. 

I forgot the fact that i'm using a different Hyperpin launcher (HPLedControl,exe) in conjunction with an HPLEDCONTROL.ini, both of which I downloaded ages ago when i first got my LEDWIZ.   THIS is what is causing the problem.  Because if I run the original (OLD) hyperin.exe to launch hyperpin, this problem i'm talking about does NOT happen.

HOWEVER....now I have a new problem.... (big shock. hehe)

All works fine, in Hyperpin, when you first start it, also when the table loads... all lights do light up, regardless of credits.... BUT when I exit the table, going back to hyperpin... all the lights go out.  And they only come back on if I restart Hyperpin.

I removed the exit.bat from the Hyperpin settings.ini just for testing purposes and it does the same thing, so that isn't the script that is killing it.

Maybe there is a new Hyperpin.exe or new FPlaunch.exe  I should be using these days?  Mine are both from a long time ago.

Is the HPLEDCONTROL.exe way to launch Hyperpin no longer used?  This is the reason why I was clueless about and didn't have a start and stop batch file entry in my hyperpin settings.ini file.   I've been using those original files for years now and never had a reason to mess with it.

Pat

Arngrim:  Nope I did not... But thanks for the link... and I do now.   :)   Its pretty cool.   Was fairly painless to setup and has some neat new features.  It also most importantly solved my issue!  No more no credit/light issues!!  

It did create another issue for me and thanks to Lizard who offered THE solution without me wondering how to ask. :)  

I had the exact same issue you described in the thread you mentioned above.  after upgrading fplaunch... I exit a table,  the lights came on for a split second, only to be killed off and I was like HUH!??  Until i read your post!  Thank you for offering that up!. I added the delay you mentioned and all is well.  I'm curious what the heck FPlaunch is doing at the end after exiting a table..... it like clicks away and plays the "click" .wav files like 3-4 times before releasing the table.  definitely need the long delay.  I know the code is all there and I'm sure it spells it out but I aint smart enough to understand what it is doing!  :) LOL

Whew what a day!  One thing led to another but i think all is well..... finally!

I do have one remaining issue that i will work on, but I'm "spent" for today.  It is only with my Cirqus Voltaire table in that the backglass stays up even after I leave the table.  That table uses a weird backglass config in my pin,  if i remember correctly.  Back when I downloaded it, i couldn't find a nice b2s or directb2s for it so i think it is running on UltraVP or something... can't remember.  I never had an issue with it before becuase ESC was my exit key in hyperpin but after reading up on the new FPlaunch and best practices, I moved my exit button to E.  So now that the ESC key doesn't get pressed each table exit, the backglass doesn't close as it did before.

owell... I'll look for a direct backglass for it and I'm sure it will work out ok.

well.  I need to send a beer your way arngrim!  I will do that!

Many thanks to you, arngrim and all your time spent!!  

Thanks also to randr and of course, Lizard as well with the latest issue fix.

THANK YOU ALL VERY MUCH!!!!  :)

Pat

• Content Provider

U r welcome ;-)

For the click wav, i have replaced the wav by a blank wav so i never hear it anymore.

For cv, dozer made a db2s, so if you use it make sure on the f6 options thay the launchbackglass is unchecked, you have to rename the vpt without b2s in the end and you can delete the b2s exe, and use b2s.server still in f6 option

• 1 year later...

Archived