[News Alert] B2S Designer

jarr3

In case you missed it; the B2S Designer got an update before christmas and has now been updated here as well.

2 years ago, the B2S toolset moved from sourceforge to github. And now before christmas the github repo was splitup between the B2S.Server and the B2S.Designer.

Small additions has been made in the B2S.Designer, but for the widespread B2S.Designer 1.2, which many was using, we do not have any source-code available....

So we hope we have everything working as good and maybe even better in 1.28.x than in the 1.2 version.

The latest changelog since the move from sourceforge:

The move from sourceforge finished and also the last release from 30.10.2022, before the git repository was moved to https://github.com/vpinball/b2s-designer

• All binary files included are now generated from source
  • Apply Westworld bugfix from 2017
  • comment out the hardcoded sounds loading (unfinished code)
  • Fix for #4 Opening old B2S files and export to directb2s hangs the application
  • Rename all documentation files to work from within the repository

• While testing Backglasses in VPX the B2S.Designer was closed by the B2S.Server when quiting VPX because of the similar naming of the process. The B2S.Designer process is now named "B2S Designer" to avoid the name clash.
  • The B2S.Designer is now only compiled as x64 executable, to make sure it is possible to work with high resolution pictures.

• Small bug which made the settings use the wrong filename

Have fun and please do not forget to like and review..., what is important for content creators (tables, backglasses, DMD colorization?)...
... is as important for us writing the tool-set

Here is the download page:

Edited by jarr3
Added links

This seems a bit confusing. What version is the latest direct b2s server and which exact file is needed to update?

When I go to the GitHub, there are many files and it's not clear which is needed for the update. However when I click the download link above (the screenshot shows it's from 2013), the files downloaded show a date of November 23, 2023.

Is this download from 11/23 all that is needed for the update? Thanks.

2 hours ago, scoobie1 said:

This seems a bit confusing. What version is the latest direct b2s server and which exact file is needed to update?

When I go to the GitHub, there are many files and it's not clear which is needed for the update. However when I click the download link above (the screenshot shows it's from 2013), the files downloaded show a date of November 23, 2023.

https://github.com/vpinball/b2s-backglass/actions/runs/7415440221

get the bottom one in artifacts, release not debug

9 hours ago, scoobie1 said:

You are in a thread talking about the B2S Designer... and you ask about B2S Server?. It is two different things.

The B2S Designer is the editor for everyone wanting to create a backglass, and the B2S Server is the COM server which VPX can connect to.

@Cliffy gave you a hint how to find (not yet released) builds for the B2S Server, where you need to have a github account to reach. Each time a change is pushed to github, there are so called github actions triggered to create a new build. The B2S Server has its official releases put here https://github.com/vpinball/b2s-backglass/releases

I do not know why you want a not yet released build of the B2S Server, unless you look for something specific... the Builds can have serious flaws until we have found a solution to the problems reported. Here  we are discussing a problem with the build you just downloaded...

B2S Server does not have 10 developers pushing new builds regularly... currently it is just me, myself and I (and jsm174 and toxie chipping in sometimes plus a handful regular testers incl Cliffy) We could need some support here though...

You can find exactly the same for the B2S Designer here: https://github.com/vpinball/b2s-designer/actions (not yet released builds) or the official releases https://github.com/vpinball/b2s-designer/releases (no account needed)

/Jarr3

P.S. Have fun!  Please do not forget to like and review..., what is important for content creators (tables, backglasses, DMD colorization?)...
... is as important for us writing the tool-set

Edited by jarr3

27 minutes ago, Cliffy said:

Sorry about that @jarr3

Do not feel sorry @Cliffy. I really appriciate your support! 

I just wanted to clarify what @scoobie1 can expect from a fresh build compared to the official releases.

But I am of course happy if we get more people helping with testing or even development !?!? any .NET developers interested?

/Jarr3

Oh man, I really entered the wrong thread! I clearly missed this was for the designer. I do not have any .net experience or really anything like it. I've been around the community for a while now and marvel at what all you devs are able to do and share with us all.

I won't be using the b2s beta and can wait for any official releases in the future. 

Thanks again for all you do!

@jarr3

Out of curiosity but the original desginer was released long before SAM emulation maybe Whitestar emulation was supported.

Now that emulation for both is supported by PINMAME; is their any chance that the desginer have SAM and Whitestar  GI calls.

See the goldeneye dB2s; a workaround had to be done in order to get the GI call going.

Hi, here you ask something...

I must admit that I have no clue what you talk about... does it mean we need other ID ranges to support SAM tables?

I need more information, to be able to tell anything.

when a rom controlled light is added to a project we have to assign a LAMP, SOLENOID or STRING.

The editor was released way before PINMAME started to support GI calls for WhiteStar and SAM GI calls..

Take a Look at the Goldeneye dB2s file.  A dummy call Rom ID=90 was added to the table script in order to add dynamic GI lighting to the dB2s file.

we need the option "ROM ID TYPE: SAM/WHITESTAR"  

1.PNG

@Pinballuser what is the dynamic GI lighting do on this BG?... when and why is it triggered?
"Take a Look at the Goldeneye dB2s file.  A dummy call Rom ID=90 was added to the table script in order to add dynamic GI lighting to the dB2s file."

using a ROM output finder the table GI is GI #1

ok.... tested my b2s with the unaltered table... and the dynamic GI lighting is working, again set to GI #1

34 minutes ago, hauntfreaks said:

@Pinballuser what is the dynamic GI lighting do on this BG?... when and why is it triggered?
"Take a Look at the Goldeneye dB2s file.  A dummy call Rom ID=90 was added to the table script in order to add dynamic GI lighting to the dB2s file."

Static light = always on

Dynamic = turns on and off

play the goldeneye table; the GI lights on the table turn on and off based on your game play.

download the service manual for the table, you will find that the GI is not controlled by a Lamp or Solenoid ID. 

the GI call on the table script is called by 

set GICallback = GetRef("UpdateGI") 

where "UpdateGI" is an if else function.

their is no option to add a Lamp to a dB2s project and map it to the WhiteStar/SAM GI controller

I know that the most of the WhiteStar and Stern (SAM) tables don't have dynamic BG lights, but like the goldeneye table it looks much better when we add them to the backglass.

7 minutes ago, Pinballuser said:

Static light = always on

Dynamic = turns on and off

play the goldeneye table; the GI lights on the table turn on and off based on your game play.

download the service manual for the table, you will find that the GI is not controlled by a Lamp or Solenoid ID. 

the GI call on the table script is called by 

set GICallback = GetRef("UpdateGI") 

where "UpdateGI" is an if else function.

their is no option to add a Lamp to a dB2s project and map it to the WhiteStar/SAM GI controller

I know that the most of the WhiteStar and Stern (SAM) tables don't have dynamic BG lights, but like the goldeneye table it looks much better when we add them to the backglass.

watch video set to GI #1
can you please point me to a SAM that has dynamic GI lighting

I just tried

Avengers

Goldeneye

and even tried Golden Cue

Using this settings for the GI lamps

Initial State = ON

Rom ID: 1

Rom ID type: GI String

Inverted: Check OFF

and the settings will trigger the Backglass  GI when the table GI triggers.

I always thought that the ROM ID type "GI String" was only for the 1990s Williams  tables.  But it also works for the Whitestar and SAM roms.