Capture Videos to PinballY Media - Table, Backglass, and DMD at the same time with HW acceleration

CarnyPriest

• Content Provider

Hi, I have coded an AutoHotkey script to capture video for playfield, backglass, and fullDMD screens for PinballY.

Why? 

I am capturing all three screens simultaneously, so it is a lot quicker than Pinball Y's built-in screen recorder. And it is cool to have the DMD display synchronous with action on the playfield. I built it for attract mode, but it could be adapted for gameplay capture on a cabinet.

It is OBS-Studio based. It will capture Future Pinball as well as Visual Pinball. It can be adapted to work with any games that players run on a cabinet. PinballY's GDI-based capture does not support Future Pinball.

It takes advantage of GPU-based encoding and hardware acceleration to perform near real-time single pass captures even on my modest hardware configuration - better quality output, done faster, and with smaller file sizes.

It's the latest step in the automated media capture work that I started back in 2014.

Check it out! Attached includes instructions.

CapScreensOBS.zip

Edited by CarnyPriest
Add disclaimer to the instructions

• 3 weeks later...
  • Content Provider

I can confirm that the script works with the current OBS Studio v30.0.2 and the current stable release of ffmpeg v6.1.1.

It's the way I capture media, so I will keep checking it against current toolsets every few months.