DMD's missing on several tables

CyberMage

On at least one of these I know it was there at one time, but then I lost it during my early hours of learning VPX.  Rather than just say "several tables" though let's start with one, because the problem might be similar for all.

The Goonies Never Say Die 2021

I have the directb2s file and folder.  The table won't start without the  "TheGooniesDMD" folder in the tables folder and it displays the logo screen during play on the backglass.  But there's no DMD / score display, and the backglass never does anything.

I'm not sure what options I should have checked in b2s for what screens to try to display, but I've tried multiple combinations and nothing changes.  I'm running on a 3 screen build (playfield, 15" monitor as dmd, and backglass)

Most of the games I've tried display a DMD that I could drag onto the DMD screen, but not this one, or several others.  Not sure where to even begin to diagnose this since I'm such a noob with VPX still.

Others work great - I've got Addams Family running with full pup pack, DMD, loading screen, etc.  Attack from Mars plays fine.  The Getaway plays fine with animated backglass and DMD scoreboard.  Goonies, The Amazing Spider Man, Jumanji never display a scoreboard anywhere.  I don't know enough to recognize "Oh the working ones are pinmame, the other's aren't" but I wonder if it's something like that?

Also, I've tried alt-tab to make sure the display wasn't behind another screen and it's not.

Edited by CyberMage

I just installed the "Goonies" table (looks great!), and am having the same issue with the DMD not being visible.  I am running Visual Pinball (VPX8) with Batocera, which uses the stand-alone implementation of VPX.   'Missing DMDs' is a bit of a known issue - see https://github.com/vpinball/vpinball/blob/standalone/standalone/README.md#my-game-is-not-displaying-a-dmd.  There are many patched .VBS files to address this, but I believe this only helps with PINMAME tables.  I think that with Goonies being an original table (i.e. does not use a ROM file), the PINMAME/.VBS workaround doesn't apply (?)  I'm running a single-display setup, and placed the "TheGooniesDMD" folder within the table's folder.  I've got about 10 other pinball tables working successfully and showing the DMD on-screen.  Hoping it is something simple to fix....

EDIT - I missed it initially, but found there actually is a patched .VBS file for the "Goonies" table:  https://github.com/jsm174/vpx-standalone-scripts/tree/master.  I will test it out and report back here with results.  

Edited by BookemDanno

• 3 months later...

@BookemDanno

I am having the same problem for the Goonies table, no DMD.  I have the correct .vpx file, the .vbs file, and the gooniesdmd file, all located together in the table file.  I am also running this on Batocera 38.  Cannot figure out how to get the DMD to show.