How to selectively show/hide DMDs

dth930

I'm getting a new cabinet up & running and have run into a frustrating problem.  I'm sure there's an easy answer but I've been pulling my hair out try to get it sorted and I can't figure it out.  I doubt that my problem is unique.

The problem is that I can't get PUP to consistently display what I want on my full DMD... which is to say that some tables have a single full DMD media file and others have a full DMD background that then needs the traditional DMD media in the center.  IOW, some tables I want to display the DMD and some I don't.  I can get things configured to do what I want one way or the other, but not both simultaneously.

I changed the PUP default config from DMD off to show.  That got the DMD displaying on the tables where I want it.  But it also put a DMD on tables where I don't.

For the tables where I don't want it, I removed the DMD media file (if there was one).  Of course, this then defaulted to the PUP DMD.  So I removed the PUP default DMD files for each of the emulators.

This seems to work when I first start Popper - there is no DMD on tables with no DMD media.  However, after a few clicks or entries/exits into tables it starts showing a black box where the DMD would be, rather than just suppressing the image entirely.

It seems that this is a bug maybe?  I don't know what the desired behavior is, but it should be consistent regardless.  The fact that the black box only appears after some navigation is concerning.

In any case, is this the proper way to accomplish the desired DMD display?  Or is there some other way I should be doing this?

- Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Bumping this thread because I haven't found a solution yet.  Maybe I'm missing something obvious.

To simplify the question... I have a full DMD.  The media for some tables includes everything you need in the full DMD media file.  Other tables require both the full DMD file and an overlay "regular" DMD file to make a complete image.  How do you configure PUP to support both styles on a table-by-table basis?  Do you have to make a PUP pack for every table?

- Dave

41 minutes ago, dth930 said:

Bumping this thread because I haven't found a solution yet.  Maybe I'm missing something obvious.

To simplify the question... I have a full DMD.  The media for some tables includes everything you need in the full DMD media file.  Other tables require both the full DMD file and an overlay "regular" DMD file to make a complete image.  How do you configure PUP to support both styles on a table-by-table basis?  Do you have to make a PUP pack for every table?

- Dave

I normally use the Fulldmd B2s files and only on those that don’t have it I use fulldmd media files from popper and keep the display on for that specific table. 
it heavily depends on the games that you have on your playlist: if you have lots of ROM emulated games (Williams, Sega, etc) the chances are good to find a matching Fulldmd b2s here in the b2s directory.

• 3 weeks later...

So it is possible to hide the DMD for any table, such as when you may have a back glass that has the score on it and you don't want the generic DMD showing also. 

First, launch the table in question and just right-click the DMD and choose to save the position, does not matter where you just want the entry to be saved. 

Open this file: 

\VisualPinball\VPinMAME\DmdDevice.ini

The last entry will be the table you just saved the DMD position for. You can either delete all the parameters under the ROM name or simply add this into the list of properties: 

virtualdmd enabled = false

On next launch of the table, the DMD will not show.

Hopefully I understood the question correctly

Edited by jestermgee