Duplicate table conundrum, either BG or PuP

Ziggy

I'm looking for help with a situation I'm in.
I'm running out of hard drive space. 
I have a bunch of tables that I like to be able to launch with either a directb2s file for my backglass, but I also like to engage with a table PuP Pack on occasion.
For those tables I have only been able to come up with a couple scenarios, but they all seem to involve a duplicate of the table file.

One approach I use is to create an alias in VPMAlias.txt for tables with roms or just change the Const cGameName = "table_pup" vs Const cGameName = "table".

This approach forces me to have a duplicate table file with that hard coded in it.
I have also used added .PuPHide = 1 under the Sub Table1_Init() section. This also forces me to have a duplicate table file with that hard coded in it.

I have seen some mentions of launch variables being passed using a frontend like PinballX. 
I'm using PinballY and have read plenty but haven't found any launch variable references.

Is there a recommendation to a resource that would explain what can be passed in table.pov file and of table.ini. Using that would also require to have a hard coded table to match those. 

Any help or insight would greatly help. There must be something that's eluding me.
Thanks in advance for your expertise and wisdom.

5 hours ago, Ziggy said:

I'm looking for help with a situation I'm in.
I'm running out of hard drive space. 
I have a bunch of tables that I like to be able to launch with either a directb2s file for my backglass, but I also like to engage with a table PuP Pack on occasion.
For those tables I have only been able to come up with a couple scenarios, but they all seem to involve a duplicate of the table file.

One approach I use is to create an alias in VPMAlias.txt for tables with roms or just change the Const cGameName = "table_pup" vs Const cGameName = "table".

This approach forces me to have a duplicate table file with that hard coded in it.
I have also used added .PuPHide = 1 under the Sub Table1_Init() section. This also forces me to have a duplicate table file with that hard coded in it.

I have seen some mentions of launch variables being passed using a frontend like PinballX. 
I'm using PinballY and have read plenty but haven't found any launch variable references.

Is there a recommendation to a resource that would explain what can be passed in table.pov file and of table.ini. Using that would also require to have a hard coded table to match those. 

Any help or insight would greatly help. There must be something that's eluding me.
Thanks in advance for your expertise and wisdom.

Look here at Nailbusters Option 3 which allows you to set a custom parameter in the table (so only need one copy). VPX allows the use of a custom command in the command string (i.e.,  -c1) like noted below. That tells the script to look at if parameter set and then execute the code accordingly. Thus, you can have two launch commands, one with PUP and one without but no duplicate of table needed.  

image.png.103406faa3ee9dcf61f71303d674240b.png

Edited by sundogak

I read through that several times. It seems like Nailbuster's Popper is need.

I'm using PinballY.

I haven't found a source with any info on how to accomplish this using PinballY.

I was curious if there might be a different way then the 3rd & 4th options on the Nailbuster page.

They both seem to me that any launch scripts are done through Popper under the Game Manager.

I don't believe that the newer implementations of how the table.pov or table.ini is used will help in what I've described so far, but I do want to get more information about what can be controlled by them.

Maybe not the answer you are looking for, but you should think about expanding your hdd space. Future tables will have 4k or 8k textures and become much larger files. So to be future proof, you should upgrade. I personally like having 2 table files so i can select the one i want through my frontend. The table_init script addition is my solution, and it works perfectly. You should also keep at least 10gb free space on your harddrive for windows to play with (virtual ram etc), otherwise the pc might slow down.