Guide to use a Table with 2 different roms, altcolor settings and with and without PuP-Pack in Popper

Saveoldstuff

Description:

This setup drove me crazy until i have found a working solution and now it just works as intended :) I wanted to use Tron Legacy LE with Terrys stunning End of Line PuP-Pack and the trn_174h muted rom to use the OST soundtrack and one seperate Tron Legacy LE Table without PuP-Pack and the default rom. I did that for different tables as well to have some alternative in case the PuPs are disturbing or the person playing isn't in the mood for videos. Or to built alternative setups that are safe for younger ones to play.

Example Table: Tron Legacy LE

Goal to Archive:

1x Tron Legacy LE Table with Backglass on display 1 and Apron/Full DMD on display 2 with default trn_174h rom. Playfield on display 3.

1x Tron Legacy LE Table with PuP-Pack on display 1 and Apron/Full DMD Video on display 2 with muted rom. Playfield on display 3.

(This is not the numbering of your Windows display ID's. It's just an example for 3 different displays or a 3 screen Setup.) You can adjust everything for your personal setup for example if you play with 2 displays or one display in desktop mode). 

Steps:

1. Create a folder named altrom inside your VPinMAME folder.

2. Copy the muted trn_174h rom inside the altrom folder.

3. Copy the normal trn_174h rom to your VPinMAME rom folder.

4.0. Prepare your Tron Legacy LE PuP-Pack table and name it like PuP-Pack - Tron Legacy LE.vpx (name is up to you).

4.1. Prepare your Tron Legacy LE normal table and name it nopuptron.vpx (name is up to you).

5. Find a Backglass you like and name it like the Table: For example nopuptron.directb2s

6. Open VPMAlias.txt inside your VPinMAME Folder. Create the alias nopuptron,trn_174h. Save the file.

7. Open nopuptron.vpx inside your VPX Editor and open the script. Change the game name to the alias you created before. Example: Const cGameName = "nopuptron". Save the table. With this setup you can have different entrys in your dmddevice.ini in case your dmd has a different position per table. In my setup that's the case. Now you have 2 entrys. 1 for trn_174h and one for nopuptron. You can freely adjust your dmd position and save it per table.

8. If you want to use altcolor files like serum for both tables, create a altcolor folder inside your VPinMAME folder. 

9. Create a trn_174h folder inside the altcolor folder. Copy the trn_174h.cRZ into the newly created trn_174h folder.

10. Create a nopuptron folder inside your altcolor folder. Copy the trn_174h.cRZ into the newly created nopuptron folder and rename it to nopuptron.cRZ

11. Open the Game Manager in Popper. Go to nopuptron. Fill the following settings in the parameter fields:

ROM: trn_174h

Custom Launch Param: HIDEPUP

12. Go to your Pup-Pack enabled Table inside the Game Manager. In my Example: PuP-Pack - Tron Legacy LE. Fill the following settings in the parameter fields:

Keep Displays ON: 5 (This is if you use a Full DMD Video for your Apron/Full DMD display. In my case the Video dissapears if this setting isn't filled out).

Custom Var #2: ALTROM

13. Inside PinUP Popper Setup, open the Popper Setup Window. Go to Emulators. Go to Visual Pinball X. Open Launch Setup. Copy the contents of your Launch and Close Scripts into a textfile for backup purpose in case you fuck up your config.

14: Go to https://www.nailbuster.com/wikipinup/doku.php?id=pinup_optional and edit your Visual Pinball X Emulator Launch and Close Scripts to Option #2 & #4.

Option #2 is to hide a PuP-Pack if you want to play a "normal table version" and have 2 copys of your table.

Option #4 is to use a custom parameter to use an alternative rom. For example a muted rom. 

15: !DO NOT USE THE FOLLOWING SCRIPT SETTINGS IF YOUR SCRIPTS ARE MODIFIED MATCHING YOUR PERSONAL SETUP. IT'S JUST AN EXAMPLE OF MY SETUP. YOU HAVE TO ADJUST YOUR SCRIPTS AND ADD OPTION #2 & #4!

16: Read step 15 again.

Example for Launch Script:

@echo off

if "[CUSTOM1]"=="HIDEPUP" (
 echo 1>> "[STARTDIR]PUPVideos\[?ROM?]\PUPHideNext.txt"
 )

START "" "[STARTDIR]Launch\VPXSTARTER.exe" 30 10 60 "Visual Pinball Player" 2
cd /d "[DIREMU]"

rem Change the following to EnableTrueFullScreen to default FullScreen Exclusive!
SET FSMODE=DisableTrueFullScreen

SET VPXEXE=VPinballX-x64.exe

if "[RECMODE]"=="1" (SET FSMODE=DisableTrueFullScreen )
if /I "[CUSTOM1]"=="NOFSX" (SET FSMODE=DisableTrueFullScreen )
if NOT "[ALTEXE]"=="" (SET VPXEXE=[ALTEXE] )

SET ALTPARAM=
if /I "[ALTMODE]"=="NOPUP" (SET ALTPARAM=-c1 NOPUP )
if /I "[CUSTOM2]"=="ALTROM" (REG ADD "HKCU\SOFTWARE\Freeware\Visual PinMame\globals" /v "rompath" /t REG_SZ /d "%C:\Visual Pinball\VPinMame\altrom%" /f)

START /min "" %VPXEXE% "[DIREMU]" -%FSMODE% -minimized -play "[GAMEFULLNAME]" %ALTPARAM%

if %FSMODE%==DisableTrueFullScreen (START "" "[STARTDIR]Launch\PopperKeepFocus.exe" "Visual Pinball Player" 10)

Example for Close Script:

"[STARTDIR]LAUNCH\PUPCLOSER.EXE" WINTIT "Visual Pinball" 10 1 

if /I "[CUSTOM2]"=="ALTROM" (REG ADD "HKCU\SOFTWARE\Freeware\Visual PinMame\globals" /v "rompath" /t REG_SZ /d "%C:\Visual Pinball\VPinMame\roms%" /f)

17. Now you can enjoy your 2 Tables with completly different Setups and roms. To use Terrys PuP-Pack with OST music, make sure that your settings inside the PuP-Pack is set to 
Mode = Music only

Have fun 🙂

• 2 months later...

I found this while looking for a completely different solution to a problem; but this will help me in multiple ways. So, thank you for posting it !

I'm trying to work out a way to have multiple 'versions' of a table; for instance in the case of AC/DC where there's umpteen versions.  But, I don't want 6 ACDC tables in a row on my Pinup wheel. 

This little fix of yours gave me some registry ideas.

I appreciate the share.