Direct B2S Monitor Renumbering

Spektre

Hi. 

I have installed the direct b2s server and registered it.  I have a 3 monitor setup.

Monitor 1 (playfield) 1920x1080

Monitor 2 (backpglass) 1920x1080

Monitor 3 (DMD) 1366x768

Direct b2s sees my montiors as numbered 1, 3 2 however.  If I edit the ScreenRes.txt file to place the backglass on monitor 2 it will put it in the DMD monitor.  If I edit it to use monitor 3 it places it on the correct monitor,

Switching their physical location on the video card has no effect on these numbers to db2s.  (Windows does swap their numberings if I do this.)

I have not been able to get the DMD to show up at all.

What should my ScreenRes.txt be to allow for the DMD to appear on the DMD monitor?

Thanks in advance

Hmm, quoting is not working...

I am confused why you would drag each individual table to its location.  In the ScreeenRes.txt file db2s uses, you give an offset for the DMD monitor.  Doesn't db2s place the DMD where you put it in the ScreenRes.txt file?

Don't worry about how the b2s server sees your monitors, it doesn't matter :) Just choose the number that works, it won't cause any problems with anything else.

For the dmd, depending on the table configuration it may be hidden if it is included in the db2s layout. It also may be hidden by the backglass or the table itself.

Start the table on it's own without the backglass (using the vpinmame controller) and locate the dmd. If the script isn't hiding it (hidden=1) then it might be behind the table. Alt-Tab between windows until you locate the dmd screen, then drag the dmd to your 3rd screen then click back on the running table. Provided you are using the cabinet version of the .dll, it should remain on that 3rd monitor for all future launches of that table regardless of which controller you are using (b2s.server or vpinmame.controller).

If the dmd is provided by the db2s file, then you need to specify the location for it to display in your screenres.txt file starting from the top left of the backglass screen to the top left of your dmd, however it may be numbered (it doesn't matter if it is 2 or 3).

ScreenRes.txt layout (for example image posted below)...

1920 <-- Playfild screen X resolution (width)

1080 <-- playfield screen Y resolution (height)

1280 <-- Backglass screen X resolution (width)

1024 <-- Backglass screen Y resolution(height)

2 <-- Display number for the backglass

0 <-- offset for the backglass on the selected display (normally left at 0)

0 <-- offset for the backglass on the selected display (normally left at 0)

600 <-- Width of the DMD area in pixls

250 <-- Height of the DMD area in pixels

1380 <-- X position of the DMD area relative to the upper left corner of the backglass screen

0 <-- Y position of the DMD area relative to the upper left corner of the backglass screen

0 <-- Y-flip, flips the LED display uppside down. Used in P2K style cabs 

screenresfig.jpg

Ah, thanks, I think that was the piece of knowledge I was missing.

Let me see if I have this straight.  The DMD display may be generated by either PinMAME or db2s.

If PinMAME generates the display, the settings for the DMD in ScreenRes.txt are meaningless and you set up its position table by table moving and resizing the display.  This is probably the more common case.

Some tables (especially EM tables which have no ROM, or some early SS tables where the display is segmented) can have a "DMD" display generated by db2s, in which case the location and size is taken from the ScreenRes.txt file.

Do I "got it": yet?

Just wanted to warn you of a couple gotchas. There are some DirectB2S backglasses that support showing their own score display, but were not coded to support a separate DMD. They do, however, see that you are configured to have a DMD and remove their grille (along with the scores!). I ran into a couple evil ones that hid the scores AND forced the pinmame display to be hidden. f14 tomcat comes to mind. A guy recently redid that one to support it properly. I was pulling my hair out trying to get the pinmame display to show up lol.

Also watch carefully when tables start up. Others will try to show a nice score display but then pinmame comes up and covers it in its default ugliness. Funhouse was an example. Those you can disable pinmame in the table script. Good luck!

• 11 months later...

Hey koadic,

Resurrecting an old thread.  Anyone else feel free to jump in.

As mentioned before my monitors are seen by db2s as 1 (playfield), 3 (backglass), 2 (DMD).  This cannot be changed.

All tables with a PinMAME DMD work fine.  However on db2s tables without a PinMAME DMD, I'd like to display the db2s DMD image in the DMD monitor.

So I go to the b2s Backglass settings and set DMD to Hidden and B2S DMD to Visible.  Nothing shows up. 

Basically I can get an unnecessary 2nd copy of the pinmame dmd (like on segment display tables) on the DMD monitor or a blank screen, but no B2S DMD.   Does db2s server accept negative numbers in screenres.txt?  I am thinking that since it sees the backglass monitor as 3 and the dmd as 2 it might need a NEGATIVE offset.

Any ideas.

(Hmmm, Agents777 actually displays the image correctly)

Barracora?  If you mean that one, then no it doesn't display correctly either.  

I have the option via the b2s Server settings of having a duplicate (badly aspect ratioed) segment display or nothing.  If I set B2S DMD to Visible I get nothing.

This is my Screenres.txt file

As mentioned Agents777 works.as does Airborne Avenger

301 nor Barracora do.  Most do not.

Archived