the "quest3" does it work well with vpx?

I have seen many people who are having errors with quest 3 and steam vr! (quest 2 is better optimized for steam vr)
I also saw that you need 20 dollars software to fully use a quest with steam?
At the time of Oculus Rift, the Oculus app always remains open in Windows and it is impossible to close it completely and use Rift with Steam.
So now does quest 3 work easily with vpx?
I have an old worn index valve (I need to replace the foam and the cable, lol and I would have to pay around 200 dollars just for 2 gadgets and 8 days for delivery..., a quest cable is sold for 30 dollars and delivered in less than 24 hours)

1 hour ago, Toto022000 said:

I have seen many people who are having errors with quest 3 and steam vr! (quest 2 is better optimized for steam vr)
I also saw that you need 20 dollars software to fully use a quest with steam?
At the time of Oculus Rift, the Oculus app always remains open in Windows and it is impossible to close it completely and use Rift with Steam.
So now does quest 3 work easily with vpx?
I have an old worn index valve (I need to replace the foam and the cable, lol and I would have to pay around 200 dollars just for 2 gadgets and 8 days for delivery..., a quest cable is sold for 30 dollars and delivered in less than 24 hours)

Your first question....you don't need any 20 software to use Quest with Steam, Steam and the Oculus App are free. You can go wireless or pay for a "link" cable to connect.

As far as I know you always need the Oculus app to connect to Steam

Quest 3 can connect several ways with VPX through the PC (wired and wireless)......., with Steam, with OpenComposite, with OpenComposite and Virtual Desktop, With Steam and Virtual Desktop

I received my quest 2, 4 hours ago (lol I still wanted to try it, I had a rift s a long time ago but I had never tried a quest), I connected it with cable link (I don't have a good connection to use air link)
I was able to test a pinball machine and so in terms of resolution it's pretty much like my valve index...they removed the grain effect that there is in the films (psvr, psvr2 and rift s have this blurring unpleasant) so the impression of depth of quest 2 is almost fine, but the framerate is 72hz in steam vr.
With vpx the balls can freeze and jerk "strongly" at certain times.
The silicone is not pleasant, I feel the weight of the headset on my cheeks and pulls my eyelids down "open my eyes wide"
also there is a ventilation system in the helmet to prevent fogging... and it is very unpleasant.
did you have similar symptoms with quest 2? Do you have any tips for using quest 2 with vpx?
I'm hesitant to take a quest 3 because of this!
Are the balls smooth or do you have freezes every game with quest 3?
Also what Hz frequencies do we have in the steam vr settings with quest 3?
I have played many VR pinball machines at 80hz with valve index (there are also 90hz, 120hz and 144hz), so I was able to play for example "hook vpw data east" at 80hz and it is extremely fluid, and the jerks of the balls are almost imperceptible (you can also add motion with the index valve).

I found the cause of the problem of jerky balls "the screenspace relexion dynamic" does not work well and creates unwanted freezes with the balls, once unchecked the game becomes fluid. even at 72 Hz it's more than playable!

ambient occlusion, msaa, and reflection does not work well with vpx gl
I play with supersampling and sharpen bilateral cas filters

One issue I have is that steam will crash 1-2 times a long session. I have tried several different combinations of settings and feel that super sampling works best with sharpening. I can play almost all games without puppack at 90hz (except GNR. I have to turn everything off). I have to turn down settings to use a pup pack so I have started to turn off puppacks. Also it appears that when I turn on steam the resolution drops a little. I left it on 1x. I use GNR from VPW to test since it seems to use the most resources. 
my computer has i9 and 4070

• 3 weeks later...

In my opinion, the quest 3 work well but my first test today show me the the resolution still not enough for VR pinball.  In short, gain a lot on 3D  but loss a lot on quality picture compare to normal VPX.  It is very important to be able to ready all table information.  Again, my first experience, maybe i miss a important setup...

On 12/4/2023 at 10:33 PM, patrickfx said:

In my opinion, the quest 3 work well but my first test today show me the the resolution still not enough for VR pinball.  In short, gain a lot on 3D  but loss a lot on quality picture compare to normal VPX.  It is very important to be able to ready all table information.  Again, my first experience, maybe i miss a important setup...

Depending on your video card you can boost the resolution in the Oculus PC App under Device/Quest/Graphics Preferences. Try boosting here and leaving VR-GL Supersampling at 100% or disabled. I use an RTX 3080 and can read everything on most tables. And not being a smart ass here but if you need glasses to read then you may need glasses or prescription lenses for VR

• 4 months later...
On 12/10/2023 at 8:41 PM, Crrispy said:

I just got the Q3 working in VPX with only Open XR and Virtual Desktop (No Oculus app, no Steam/VR), and it's amazing. I let audio on the cab, it's more realistic and keeps SSF active.

So how do you sent it to Open XR. I have open XR activated in the virtual desktop menu. But VPX tells me that Steam VR is not running and then it starts Steam VR. 

2 hours ago, tatapolus said:

So how do you sent it to Open XR. I have open XR activated in the virtual desktop menu. But VPX tells me that Steam VR is not running and then it starts Steam VR. 

If you have Steam installed, you have to force rendering to OpenXR with the OpenComposite runtime switcher.

image.png.ba93828afa0e040d088f67f9628547f4.png