PUP Packs not closing in VPX

silentcorp

This was all working but recently something must have changed.  Nailbusters  troubleshooting guide mainly points to helping if they don't close from within Pinup Popper (they also don't) but says to test in just VPX first to help rule out other problems.  When I test in just VPX (10.7.4 32 bit or 10.8 64bit) they both open the tables and the PUP Packs.  I can play a table and the pack works great but when I back out the backglass and dmd continue to show.  The music even continues to play.   I can load other tables but the original PUP continues to show.  

This is multiple tables (Iron Maiden, Batman 66 and a few others) I've tested and all have the same problem.  I've made sure my backglass is registered,  when I right click on the backglass the plugin is showing working.  

May not be related but I also noticed recently on my C drive root directory a C:\PUPPack folder is showing up with empty folders for tables I've played - even ones that don't have a PUP pack installed are showing up in there.  If I delete it and play a few tables it shows back up.  

Only things I've changed recently was adding DOFLINX but even after uninstalling that I have the same problem.  Before I delete everything and start fresh I was wondering if anyone else had this issue or knew of a way to further troubleshoot?  

• 2 months later...

Hello.
Not sure if this is still a problem you are having, but i 'm having it too.
The PupPack (and B2S too) won't really close, but keep active in the background and in Task Manager.
You can still play other tables, but it's a drag because of the music still playing and of course performance issues.
I'm still researching this, so I don't have the answer for you, but they were talking about it here too:
https://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=51177

And the troubleshoot page says this:
UltraDMD tables. Some of these tables don’t have a proper closing or exit part added to the table’s script

You may have something else causing an error in the background that you may not notice.

SAM (Stern) tables and at91jit can cause issues for some people and cause crashing

the PuP-Pack may be too much for your system to handle, so it didn’t exit out properly after having some kind of crash.

FX3 tables using dmdext and pup / doflinx can’t have dmdext run as admin, or the pup-pack won’t close out when exiting the table.

With Popper make sure your VPX exit key is not the same as Popper Exit Emulator Key.

If it happens only on some tables, it could be a problem with the VPX Table script not closing out B2S properly.

Open up VPX Table Script and look for a sub like this. You want to make sure it has Controller.Stop line in there somewhere. If Sub doesn't exists you may have to add it.

Sub table1_Exit
  Controller.stop
End Sub

Just to have all the info here for anyone with this problem.

05-01-2024 Edit:
What helped for me, was to check if Windows was opening the VPX with Administrator rights.
You can check that with the right-click and properties in Windows Explorer.
Once i turned off the Open with Administrator privileges , everything closed normally again.

Edited by newjersey

• 2 months later...

I'm having the same issue with some of my PuPPack-Tables, after closing the table, the puppacks remain on the desktop until i kill the PinUpDisplay.exe by task manager.

Some example tables: It pinball Magic, Death Race 2000, James Bond 60th and JPs Ghostbusters. I've checked all the vxp-exe-files, but none of them were configured to run as administrator. I also tried different vpx-versions for these tables, but the problem remains:

By the way:

With Popper 1.50 and all the lates program versions (fresh install in 02/2024) and even after a slight hardware upgrade on a anyhow quite strong gaming computer,  i have now much MORE performance issues than i had before, when i set up the cabinet about 14 month ago 😞 mhh... sad.... i was expecting more from all this upgrades.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, 

Reading your closing problems..

I have noticed that vpx gl release candidate 2 causing problems closing dmd`s for LOTB / Blood machines. 

VPX GL release candidate 1 causes not those problems, only for blood machines where the dmd is not closing

Do you have any ideas? 

Help is much appreciated. 

On 1/3/2024 at 11:35 AM, newjersey said:

Hello.
Not sure if this is still a problem you are having, but i 'm having it too.
The PupPack (and B2S too) won't really close, but keep active in the background and in Task Manager.
You can still play other tables, but it's a drag because of the music still playing and of course performance issues.
I'm still researching this, so I don't have the answer for you, but they were talking about it here too:
https://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=51177

And the troubleshoot page says this:
UltraDMD tables. Some of these tables don’t have a proper closing or exit part added to the table’s script

You may have something else causing an error in the background that you may not notice.

SAM (Stern) tables and at91jit can cause issues for some people and cause crashing

the PuP-Pack may be too much for your system to handle, so it didn’t exit out properly after having some kind of crash.

FX3 tables using dmdext and pup / doflinx can’t have dmdext run as admin, or the pup-pack won’t close out when exiting the table.

With Popper make sure your VPX exit key is not the same as Popper Exit Emulator Key.

If it happens only on some tables, it could be a problem with the VPX Table script not closing out B2S properly.

Open up VPX Table Script and look for a sub like this. You want to make sure it has Controller.Stop line in there somewhere. If Sub doesn't exists you may have to add it.

Sub table1_Exit
  Controller.stop
End Sub

Just to have all the info here for anyone with this problem.

05-01-2024 Edit:
What helped for me, was to check if Windows was opening the VPX with Administrator rights.
You can check that with the right-click and properties in Windows Explorer.
Once i turned off the Open with Administrator privileges , everything closed normally again.

Hi and thyanks a lot , i had the exact same problem as you when puppacks continued to play after leaving vpx (via pinballX) and the problem was thaht the vpinballX.exe file was checked with "Run as administrator". I unchecked it and wall was ok :). Well done Commander  ! ;)

I have had the same problem with some PuP packs not closing, Batman66 is one of the worst for me. The BG, DMD and music keep playing forever after terminating VPX. This happened after I upgraded to 10.8 RC2. Previously, I was using 10.8 beta-1347 and it works properly. I tried running it using 10.8 beta-1347 and 10.7.4 and they both work properly. Nothing is different except the VPX executable I ran in each test.

[Edit] - I just found that there is a bug posted on github with this exact problem using Batman66. It says it worked in RC1 and broke in RC2. 

"Batman 66 - PUP will not close out with RC2  #1608"

Edited by bulldog4
additional information

On 3/25/2024 at 10:12 PM, Duracuir62 said:

... the vpinballX.exe file was checked with "Run as administrator". I unchecked it and wall was ok :). Well done Commander  ! ;)

unfortunately this is not (my) solution. Nothing runs as admin

I am having the same problem. Pinup player keeps playing  on table exit instead of closing. Worked in RC1 and seemingly broke with RC2. I'm not running programs as admin.

Yep. Batman66 is a beast. Same here. I use a closing script in pinballY, but batman is stronger than any script. 🤡 I wish someone could tell us what to edit, to prevent that. (batman doesnt like to close from the first minute I played it, long time and many versions ago.) I run 1934 ..

Edited by Tikimaster