New release: v2.2.1

freezy

Hi all,

This is a follow-up release, fixing a few bugs and adding a two quality of life improvements.

Apologies for the delay, but there were still reports about coloring bugs, which are still reproducible with both dmdext and the plugin, so I'm still not sure if they were not bugs in the colorization itself. And then Unity blew up, and my priorities shifted. I'm pushing this out now, since a few major bugs were fixed, and will come back to the remaining issues when I have more time.

The new stuff:

• Be more liberal with colorization file names: File name doesn't matter, just pick the most recent one.
  • Dump files can now be played (and colored) with the "play" command in dmdext.exe. This is handy for reproducing colorization errors, but also for testing colorizations without having to play the game (just replay the dump)

Plus there are a ton of bug fixes, a complete list, along with the download, is here.

Cheers,

-freezy.

Edited by freezy

On 9/21/2023 at 1:10 PM, freezy said:

• Dump files can now be played (and colored) with the "play" command in dmdext.exe. This is handy for reproducing colorization errors, but also for testing colorizations without having to play the game (just replay the dump)

do you have any documentation explaining how his works  for someone that has never used dmdext.exe before

Edited by Pinballuser

• 1 month later...

Hi Freezy.

I probably missed something, perhaps you can help me ? 

I've downloaded your last version 2.2.1 to update my setup. I must say I made a mistake by not saving my files before updating, because I always used your versions without any problem,so I was confident.

But of course, it went wrong for me : after updating in 2.2.1 (I've just copied/overwrited all the files, except dmddevice.ini that I've modified with my personnal settings), I've lost all my .PAC colorizations.

I'm a bit confused, because I've read on your github that it should work with all formats (pal/vni, PAC, SERUM), and all these formats were perfectly working before the update, but .pac just no longer works for me.

What should I've done wrong ? Any idea on how to make all formats functional again ?

Whatever, thank you for all your hard work.

OOOPS, I forgot to mention that I'm on a Vpin with virtual DMD / LCD screen, not a real pinball with pin2DMD.

Edited by Zedixair
added a missing information

45 minutes ago, Zedixair said:

Hi Freezy.

I probably missed something, perhaps you can help me ? 

I've downloaded your last version 2.2.1 to update my setup. I must say I made a mistake by not saving my files before updating, because I always used your versions without any problem,so I was confident.

But of course, it went wrong for me : after updating in 2.2.1 (I've just copied/overwrited all the files, except dmddevice.ini that I've modified with my personnal settings), I've lost all my .PAC colorizations.

I'm a bit confused, because I've read on your github that it should work with all formats (pal/vni, PAC, SERUM), and all these formats were perfectly working before the update, but .pac just no longer works for me.

What should I've done wrong ? Any idea on how to make all formats functional again ?

Whatever, thank you for all your hard work.

OOOPS, I forgot to mention that I'm on a Vpin with virtual DMD / LCD screen, not a real pinball with pin2DMD.

Read + I Believe this info is also in the New ini File

Edited by outhere

Thanks @Outhere, but I still don't undestand...probably due to my bad english.

I've read that Freezy wrote "if you happen to have PAC colorizations on your system, just updating to this release will make them work".

So, I thought there was nothing more to do than taking the files in v2.2.1 and then overwrite my existing files.

But it didn't work.

Now, I also see that:

"For the internal PAC colorization to work, you have to provide the key:

[global] vni.key = f0ad135937ffa111c60b24d88ebb2e59"

Is that key the thing I should add this in my DmdDevice.ini to have .pac working ((and all the others formats too) ?

6 minutes ago, Zedixair said:

Thanks @Outhere, but I still don't undestand...probably due to my bad english.

I've read that Freezy wrote "if you happen to have PAC colorizations on your system, just updating to this release will make them work".

So, I thought there was nothing more to do than taking the files in v2.2.1 and then overwrite my existing files.

But it didn't work.

Now, I also see that:

"For the internal PAC colorization to work, you have to provide the key:

[global] vni.key = f0ad135937ffa111c60b24d88ebb2e59"

Is that key the thing I should add this in my DmdDevice.ini to have .pac working ((and all the others formats too) ?

That key made my .pac tables work.

• 3 weeks later...

I had posted about this in a game thread, but this is probably a more appropriate place to ask (thanks to Cliffy for some previous troubleshooting).

My Freezy install previously allowed the DMD to stay on top.  I had to reinstall windows, reinstalled Freezy 2.21, changed my .ini back to "stay on top = true", but it will no longer stay on top.  I can see the DMD open, but it immediately goes to the back.  I'm running VPX 10.8 dx64 rev. 1804.  I dropped back to Freezy 2.1 just to see if it was version specific, but it is not... so I'm guessing something isn't configured on my end.

If anyone else is having this problem or can help advise me as to where my settings problem might be, I really appreciate the help.  Thanks.

15 minutes ago, Drybonz said:

I had posted about this in a game thread, but this is probably a more appropriate place to ask (thanks to Cliffy for some previous troubleshooting).

My Freezy install previously allowed the DMD to stay on top.  I had to reinstall windows, reinstalled Freezy 2.21, changed my .ini back to "stay on top = true", but it will no longer stay on top.  I can see the DMD open, but it immediately goes to the back.  I'm running VPX 10.8 dx64 rev. 1804.  I dropped back to Freezy 2.1 just to see if it was version specific, but it is not... so I'm guessing something isn't configured on my end.

If anyone else is having this problem or can help advise me as to where my settings problem might be, I really appreciate the help.  Thanks.

You're not running in exclusive full screen are you? Can't do that on desktop. Must use windowed full screen

12 hours ago, Drybonz said:

Version 10.8 of VPX has a set of issues related to how it handles screens, exclusive full screen for 10.8 means exclusive full screen regardless of anything else. The trick with 10.8 (right now) is to set it to windowed (with frame pacing on to get performance), and additionally 1 pixel smaller than your screen size. 10.8 will literally even block out it's own settings windows (F1/F6) when in exclusive full screen.

6 hours ago, LynnInDenver said:

Version 10.8 of VPX has a set of issues related to how it handles screens

Ok... there were a couple of other github trouble tickets opened recently on elements that weren't showing over the playfield that were fixed... so I opened a ticket for this.  It's ticket #1192 if anyone has additional info they want to comment in about this to help out.  Thanks for the help.

Edited by Drybonz

On 11/5/2023 at 7:04 PM, Redwings13 said:

That key made my .pac tables work.

I have the exact same problem you had.

Actually, after updating to Freezy 2.2.1 I had to go through a lot because my Serum broke, but I finally got it to work (had to update the Visual C++ Redistributable), and thought everything was ok.

Yesterday I found out, that my PAC is now broken. After some searching I came upon this thread and hoped the suggestions would help me.

I just checked my DmdDevice.ini, hoping that I too had missed the vni.key, but "sadly" it was already there.

So, anyone have any idea what could be at play here?

UPDATE: I just tried downgrading to freezy 2.2.0 and now everything is working again. So something in 2.2.1 must have a problem with my setup.

Edited by Jewer

12 hours ago, Jewer said:

I have the exact same problem you had.

Actually, after updating to Freezy 2.2.1 I had to go through a lot because my Serum broke, but I finally got it to work (had to update the Visual C++ Redistributable), and thought everything was ok.

Yesterday I found out, that my PAC is now broken. After some searching I came upon this thread and hoped the suggestions would help me.

I just checked my DmdDevice.ini, hoping that I too had missed the vni.key, but "sadly" it was already there.

So, anyone have any idea what could be at play here?

UPDATE: I just tried downgrading to freezy 2.2.0 and now everything is working again. So something in 2.2.1 must have a problem with my setup.

Did you remove the serum.dll files. 2.2.1 has them integrated. I did the same troubleshooting you describe and fixed issue by removing serum stand alone files. 

15 hours ago, bushav said:

Did you remove the serum.dll files. 2.2.1 has them integrated. I did the same troubleshooting you describe and fixed issue by removing serum stand alone files. 

Thanks, but yes, I had already removed serum.dll so something else must be causing the problem.

16 hours ago, Jewer said:

Thanks, but yes, I had already removed serum.dll so something else must be causing the problem.

Might check if it is a hidden file issue in the rom altcolor folder. Make new altcolor rom folder for a game with PAC, then only copy the PAC file into it. Rename the other "old" or whatever as temp.  I had this issue when I was using Lucky's version at one point where and was causing oddball behavior.  I had .pal and .vni files that got into the folders at one point and only became issue with the more recent DMD DLLs.   Also check if you were using Lucky's version at one point that have removed the libusbK64.dll (or 32 bit version of same file) and the pin2color64.dll.  Other than that, not sure what would cause it since 2.2.0 and 2.2.1 are pretty similar so out of ideas on what would cause it, particularly since you noted 2.0 version works. 

Edited by sundogak

12 hours ago, sundogak said:

Might check if it is a hidden file issue in the rom altcolor folder. Make new altcolor rom folder for a game with PAC, then only copy the PAC file into it. Rename the other "old" or whatever as temp.  I had this issue when I was using Lucky's version at one point where and was causing oddball behavior.  I had .pal and .vni files that got into the folders at one point and only became issue with the more recent DMD DLLs.   Also check if you were using Lucky's version at one point that have removed the libusbK64.dll (or 32 bit version of same file) and the pin2color64.dll.  Other than that, not sure what would cause it since 2.2.0 and 2.2.1 are pretty similar so out of ideas on what would cause it, particularly since you noted 2.0 version works. 

Cheers, when I am at the cab I will have a look. Just from memory, I almost can't think that I would have pal/vni versions and pac of the same table. I am late to the game, so most things are new and I don't have many duplicates of colorDMD's. But I will have a look - also for the dll-files you mention.

It is rather strange, that 2.2.0 works fine with all formats, but 2.2.1 don't.

Will report back.

On 12/4/2023 at 6:41 AM, sundogak said:

Ok, so no dublicate colordmd files, but I do NOT have the libusbK64.dll in any version. I do have the pin2color64.dll though. Is the libusb a component that is vital in 2.2.1 but not in 2.2.0?

On 12/5/2023 at 10:53 AM, Jewer said:

Ok, so no dublicate colordmd files, but I do NOT have the libusbK64.dll in any version. I do have the pin2color64.dll though. Is the libusb a component that is vital in 2.2.1 but not in 2.2.0?

Shouldn't mix and match on Freezy and Lucky1 versions in that DMD DLLs are different. By your description you have either incomplete Lucky1 install (no libusbk dll) or files not needed for Freezy (the pin2color64). I would download one or other and restart with only what is in that package.

9 hours ago, sundogak said:

Shouldn't mix and match on Freezy and Lucky1 versions in that DMD DLLs are different. By your description you have either incomplete Lucky1 install (no libusbk dll) or files not needed for Freezy (the pin2color64). I would download one or other and restart with only what is in that package.

I have gone through a lot of trouble with colorDMD, and I think I have been in both camps. A lot have been broken, but in the end, after a lot of help, everything is working.

I have chosen to go with Freezy, so not being able to update without it breaking again is a real bummer.

So if I was to restart, as you propose, how do go about doing that? It's not like I can run any kind of uninstaller, so are there any specific files that should be removed, and then installed from scratch? There won't be something registered somewhere that will break stuff if I start messing around?

On 11/24/2023 at 1:32 PM, Drybonz said:

Ok... there were a couple of other github trouble tickets opened recently on elements that weren't showing over the playfield that were fixed... so I opened a ticket for this.  It's ticket #1192 if anyone has additional info they want to comment in about this to help out.  Thanks for the help.

Ok... just a quick follow up.  A guy on the github discussions suggested switching VPX input preference from dinput to xinput (not sure when or why I had it on dinput) but this worked for me.  On VPX revision 1826 (and I am assuming earlier), using xinput, Freezy 2.2.1 will stay on top in fullscreen exclusive 1-screen desktop mode.

• 4 weeks later...

Couldn't load .pac files for the pinball arcade with "dmdext mirror --source=pinballarcade --no-virtual  --colorize", then i realised "--use-ini" or "----pac-key=" are needed... 

Edited by iorgu
RTFM

Hi guys,

after upgrading from freezy 2.1.0 64bit to 2.2.1 64bit I deleted all the unnecessary files from lucky1 as adviced in this topic. I edited dmddevice.ini as adviced on github (readme.md) and on this topic.

After that all the colorizations are working fine (vni, pal, pac, cRZ, fsq), all ROM based PUP videos are triggered as they should, as this was a problem with lucky's version.

I noticed just one thing: The PUP videos for FX3 Getaway 2 aren't triggered anymore. When I use dmddevice64.dll 2.1.0, everything is perfect again. But then of course the colorization doesn't work anymore. The PUP pack for the VPX version of Getaway 2 works like a charm.

The PUP videos aren't triggered with freezy 2.2.0 too.

I altered dmddevice.ini not to use the scalermode, as mentioned by nailbuster here: https://www.nailbuster.com/wikipinup/doku.php?id=popper_fx3

[PINUP\WMS_Getaway]
scalermode = none
or

scaletohd = false

with no effect. Only reverting to version 2.1.0 triggers the PUP videos.

I can live with that, as I now can enjoy the colorizations and PUP packs without changing the DLLs. Keep up the good work.

Nevertheless if anyone has a suggestion, I would appreciate it. Thanks a lot.

Edited by Scirocco53