Pinbot - how to adjust / strengthen weak flippers

CaptTripps

Responding to my own post above.... Its been a few days and no replies.  I guess this could be because its a basic question, but then again, I'm a basic guy!  

Sorry if my question is dumb.  I know there must be a way to strengthen the flippers just in Pinbot (I don't want to strengthen flippers globally using the main menu).  Would this be done in the Pinbot game script, and if so, how?   If its done somewhere else, where and how?  Thanks!

On 9/18/2023 at 7:47 PM, CaptTripps said:

I'm fairly new to using the editor.  How do I increase the strength of the flippers?  Thanks!

Unfortunately there is no easy answer, it depends on the table and the physics technique used by the author(s). For simpler tables, like for example Loserman's EM's you could simply select each flipper in the editor and change its corresponding physics value (i.e. flipper strength) in the properties menu on the right side of the editor. With more advanced tables like Bord's version of Pinbot changing these values affects not just the flippers but overall table physics, so to do it correctly you'd have to re-tune a lot of other items/values on the table. This applies whenever you see a mention of nFozzy/Rothbauerw physics being utilized by the author, i.e. all VPW releases. The beauty of Virtual Pinball is nobody is stopping you from experimenting on your own, sometimes making a small change will yield the result you've been looking for and if you mess something up you can always retrieve your backup or redownload the table and start over.

47 minutes ago, CaptTripps said:

Guys, first thanks for the responses!  That is what is awesome about these forums!!  Is there a guide somewhere to how to edit these physics of which you speak :)  Thanks again.

Check your VPX install directory for PhysicValues.txt document. It was included when you first installed VPX and every time you upgrade to a new version. This should give you a basic overview.

I'll post my "solution" -- although it really isn't one -- in case anyone runs into this issue as I did.   The flippers were so weak that the ball hardly ever made it up the ramp and most shots were difficult to aim.  After experimenting around with various settings that seemingly made no difference, I deleted and re-downloaded the .vpx file and all is well.