GPU sweet spot for 2K VPX?

Livin

What is the price/performance sweet spot for 2k VPX / VPX8?

RTX2060 Super and GTX 1080 are very close all-around but seems different on some benchmarks areas by quite a lot.

or is that unnecessary and I should look at GTX 1070 or even a 1660 super or the like?

currently 2 screen : 2k 114hz + 1080p prob add a 3rd screen for DMD later. I like to run PuP Packs when they exist.

thx!

• Content Provider

I'd say a 1080 is the minimum for running the high-fidelity tables @ 2k/120Hz, especially with PuP Packs.  It would probably be fine for most, but I wouldn't go down even to a 1070 and would probably go up a little to future-proof if it was in the budget.

My specs:
Ryzen 3 5300G <-- Potential bottleneck?
1660 Super
32" LG 1440p 165Hz playfield

24" 1080p Acer backglass

Most tables run 140-165FPS with Supersampling and Sharpen disable, no In-game AO, AA set to Quality FXAA, textures set to max.
Newer VPW tables are in the 120FPS range.
Some tables have jaggies around 3D elements, any avenue I use to address it dips the FPS down to 90-100. Supersampling to 200% fixes this, but takes too big of a performance hit. Nvidia settings don't seem to help at all. As I am playing, I don't notice the jaggies, but I would love to fix this.

Reshade SuperDepth3D on, the FPS dips to 100-130FPS. I get ball stutter on some tables, but it looks sooo good. 

42 minutes ago, funkatron101 said:

My specs:
Ryzen 3 5300G <-- Potential bottleneck?
1660 Super
32" LG 1440p 165Hz playfield

24" 1080p Acer backglass

Most tables run 140-165FPS with Supersampling and Sharpen disable, no In-game AO, AA set to Quality FXAA, textures set to max.
Newer VPW tables are in the 120FPS range.
Some tables have jaggies around 3D elements, any avenue I use to address it dips the FPS down to 90-100. Supersampling to 200% fixes this, but takes too big of a performance hit. Nvidia settings don't seem to help at all. As I am playing, I don't notice the jaggies, but I would love to fix this.

Reshade SuperDepth3D on, the FPS dips to 100-130FPS. I get ball stutter on some tables, but it looks sooo good. 

Are you running PuP Packs? 

@Wlyte is saying at least a 1080 but you have 1660S (30-40% less performance depending on spec) and you are getting higher FPS than needed to make a table smooth. From what I've seen on my 2k 144hz system, >70fps is smooth and 90-100fps is perfectly smooth and anything above 90 fps is 'not' noticeable for smoothness. I average 70-80fps (some have PuPs) on an AMD card half the performance (using most of the "high-end card" settings in VPX) of the 1660S (more intensive tables are 50-60, while many tables are 90-110)

Edited by Livin

8 minutes ago, Livin said:

Are you running PuP Packs? 

@Wlyte is saying at least a 1080 but you have 1660S (30-40% less performance depending on spec) and you are getting higher FPS than needed to make a table smooth. From what I've seen on my 2k 144hz system, >70fps is smooth and 90-100fps is perfectly smooth and anything above 90 fps is 'not' noticeable for smoothness. I average 70-80fps (some have PuPs) on an AMD card half the performance (using most of the "high-end card" settings in VPX) of the 1660S (more intensive tables are 50-60, while many tables are 90-110)

I only have a few PuP Packs, as I find most too distracting and conflicting with the table sounds, and haven't noticed a major hit in FPS. I may be wrong, but I thought those were more dependent on CPU. 

I've tweaked my settings as much as I've played the actual tables. Sometimes driving myself batty. (V Sync, G-Sync, Adaptive Sync, Pre-rendered frames, etc.) I notice a dip below 120FPS. I find 60FPS near unplayable, which is crazy because so many say 60 is fine. Either the FPS counter is lying to me, or I am hypersensitive.

Long story short, my snobbishness conflicts with my frugality and would love to upgrade but can't afford it. The 1660 Super works just great for 95% of VPX tables thus far at 1440p with two screens, as long as you make some minor sacrifices.  Works pretty dang well for Pinball FX3 at higher settings. Pinball FX? That is a different story :(