AtGames ALP 4K wish list

jdv

AG does a pretty good job of playing it close to the vest, so the lack of info isn't a tell one way or the other....

That said I'm starting to think that the games will not be re-built from scratch for the 4K environment; I think the ALP 2.0 will, essentially, just be an ALP gen 1 that's souped up with a bigger back box, a bit better sound, and solenoids.

In other words, what users were already doing to upgrade their OG machines.  Hope it's more than that (at the very least either give us control over monitor settings, or allow us to switch out screens down the line), especially if it's going for $1499 or more.

Peace,

All indications is that the guts will be proprietary connections to discourage people from switching out monitors and such.  If this is true then people will have to look to third-party solutions to get around that.  It sounds like it's going to be more trouble than it's worth unless I can snag one at the Sam's Club price I got mine for last Christmas.  I'm satisfied with my ALP, so I'm not holding my breath.

• 4 weeks later...

I don’t know if you’ve seen already, but WagnersTechTalk will be getting the engineering demo unit soon, so expect a sneak peek of the cab anytime now.

While I don’t expect the display to be easily swappable, I do like that AtGames has been paying attention to what the community has done with the original ALP and will include in the new 4K version: a larger backbox, a DMD, and Cleveland Design Solenoids. While I won’t be buying this new iteration of the ALP (my current one is modded to where I want it), I’m still excited to see what they bring to the table - they’ve definitely come a long way from their crappy Genesis clone systems and the like, haha.

Edited by NerdLoftGaming
Typo

If they improve otg lag so that it is playable it should be ok for beginners. Might even keep a few from gutting it. 

I suppose the magic pixel tables might get an upgrade but don't expect much (if anything) from farsight. 

Edited by lafester

On 8/13/2023 at 11:41 PM, lafester said:

If they improve otg lag so that it is playable it should be ok for beginners.

From what I remember reading, the ALP OTG lag only affected users who had a particular model playfield display, as AtGames released a version with a different display. I've demonstrated the input lag between the Buy Stuff Arcades back box display and the stock ALP playfield, and the lag is negligible - so the ALP is definitely more than playable in OTG. I've sunked hundreds of hours across VPX and FX3 with no issues.

Edited by NerdLoftGaming

A bit surprised it'll have a 3 screen set-up.  That's very nice.  Depending on whether or not the playfield monitor is decent (and controllable in terms of gamma, contrast, yada), this could be a very nice 32" cab.

I hope that they've gone over all the games and amped up the graphics; tweaked physics.  Be a shame to have a 4K screen and all the rest and not have the games be upgraded too.

1 hour ago, jdv said:

A bit surprised it'll have a 3 screen set-up.  That's very nice.  Depending on whether or not the playfield monitor is decent (and controllable in terms of gamma, contrast, yada), this could be a very nice 32" cab.

I hope that they've gone over all the games and amped up the graphics; tweaked physics.  Be a shame to have a 4K screen and all the rest and not have the games be upgraded too.

It'd definitely be waste to not get new tables to put that playfield to use. Seeing the board is a upgrade to the current version, I'm looking forward to more complex tables and rules, and improved graphics and lighting. Interesting to see if they do anything with the KI license.

• 1 month later...

Well, they just announced the price, $1,500 with a $1,100 early bird preorder from 9/22-9/25. Along with a partnership with Zen Studios and they are doing a collectors edition Addams Family.

https://www.atgames.us/a/pf_preview?id=c7112f0a-3850-4bbf-ba74-9a403884c3fd

The backbox is upgraded from a 15" to a 24" screen, along with a new 8" DMD. Speakers are supposedly better, and the included exciters supposedly will work with PC OTG SSF. There will supposedly be a two exciter and shaker SSF expansion kit as well. Finally, there will be solenoids for the flippers.

We'll have to see if they get all of the new FX tables but we'll get some of them at least. The physics in those are a massive improvement over FX3 IMO.

I was hoping for a preorder price of $1,200 and they got it $100 less than that. This of course won't be the same quality as something you build yourself, but it's a turnkey product that just works without all of the manual configuration. As a starter cabinet, it's the best at its price point, and it will have 3x HDMI and USB connection to make to a PC, which will then give you VPX/FP, etc. from a PC when you're ready to make the move to a more complex setup.