Best practices / tools for total playfield redraw

bele2009

I've been playing and learning over the past year or so and now I would like to start contributing to the great VPin community.

I tackle a full redraw of a playfield (Gottlieb “Canada Dry”, re-themed version of their Target Alpha from 1976) using Inkscape and managed to finish all the vector art and outlines.

is there a guide somewhere how to proceed? I have many questions and would like to ask for advise before I paint myself in a corner so to speak.

Some questions:

- What image can I use for the bare wood? I managed to stitch some poplar veneer together but it does not look right.

- I have done all the layout and guideline with vector graphics (Inkscape). Should I move to a graphic program (Gimp) for colouring?

- What resolution should I export my image if I want 4K resolution?

Please point me to the proper forum / discussion channel if this would be more appropriate.

Thanks!

• 5 months later...
On 7/3/2023 at 1:18 PM, bele2009 said:

I've been playing and learning over the past year or so and now I would like to start contributing to the great VPin community.

I tackle a full redraw of a playfield (Gottlieb “Canada Dry”, re-themed version of their Target Alpha from 1976) using Inkscape and managed to finish all the vector art and outlines.

is there a guide somewhere how to proceed? I have many questions and would like to ask for advise before I paint myself in a corner so to speak.

Some questions:

- What image can I use for the bare wood? I managed to stitch some poplar veneer together but it does not look right.

- I have done all the layout and guideline with vector graphics (Inkscape). Should I move to a graphic program (Gimp) for colouring?

- What resolution should I export my image if I want 4K resolution?

Please point me to the proper forum / discussion channel if this would be more appropriate.

Thanks!

Edited by takise