UPDATING OTHER PEOPLES WORK?

Vecna

I have worked on overlays for the best part of the day and ive ended up with some quiet good results. I will eventually do some zip overlay packs for updates to people's favorite tables. Instead of redoing the whole thing. It can have a splash of colour here and there. Your "MOD" thought was a very good term. All my images will be on my Google drive anyway. So any files can come from there as to not effect the quality and integrity here and vpuniverse. I'll make some mod packs and see how it goes 

• Vecna changed the title to UPDATING OTHER PEOPLES WORK?
  • 2 weeks later...

I'll never understand the gatekeeping.  This whole community was built on modding, re-theming, and tributes.  Enthusiastic newbies should feel the freedom to create.  If the result is crap, it will end up down the pile.  The best always floats to the top.  I've seen some crap mods get released.  Then original table authors release new and improved versions of their tables and the crappy mod has long been forgotten.

When I signed up here I said I'll never say no to anybody using my content

Weather it be a backglass, or wheel

When you release content you don't own it anymore so if your going to complain how it gets treated that's not really in your hands

It's ment to be fun. Treat is as such because the more you argue and moan everybody suffers will it matter 50 years from now

No..

• Administrators

Honestly, I think patches should be adopted by the hobby as a whole.

As is this is a very un-friendly hobby when it comes to creating derivations from original works. This whole hobby lives in a grey area where nothing we do is totally legal.  Even just using the cartoon likeliness of characters could open up legality issues. None of us own the rights to anything in this hobby... everything is owned by their original IP owners.  

Sometimes obtaining permission to release a mod is unobtainable.  This hobby NEEDS a way to allow people that want to mod a means of doing so.  Modding has always been very important to this hobby and it is how many people get into doing full originals and re-creations. Modding existing games is a means of learning. Patches are a way for anyone that wants to mod an existing table a means of doing so. I feel that ONLY the original author should be allowed to do a full release of the .vpx.  However, modding should be wide open, and made available to anyone that wants to as long as it's released using a patch. This works the same as how Steam Workshop works with Steam and most commercial games.  Patches are just that... they still require the end user to have the original release. The thing with patches is that they are completely harmless and are totally optional by the end user.  If a person doesn't like it.. they don't have to apply the patch.

Look at all the tables released by the late Looserman76... His originals did not have DOF.  There is a team that has been modding his releases to include DOF calls.  All of these were done using patches.  If someone wants DOF on one of Looserman76 releases; they can just apply the patch to have it added.  This way Looserman76 original files remain untouched and are still relevant.

To create a mod/patch the modder would make their mod to the original file, and create a patch. The patch contains ONLY the changes the modder made.  The patch does not include any of the original resources from the original release.  This means that the end user would still need to have the original product or even re-download the original release.  Thus increasing the number of views/download counts for the original file. The modder would only upload their created patch.

This is how may other open source hobbies are handled... 3d printing, Steam Workshop, etc. derivations are very important to those hobbies. 

Our hobby really needs to push for adoption of some kind of open modding.  Getting permission to mod is always a good thing, but modding should be allowed...

If a person releases a puppack. Even the blank png used for the original pup would be nice. I've had to upload the overlay in paint and trace out some overlays. Starting from scratch and then making the overlay.

I think if somebody has taken the time to do the work to make it work. Then that's nice. But if its a copy and paste with a slap of nothing then taking credit. Come on. I was thinking of redoing orbital stranger things to a season 5. Doing the videos and changing the overlay. But I would be using his original layouts. Alot of these puppacks or outdated and washed out with artwork and badly need a paint job. Yesterday and today I worked on 50 backglass alternatives for the tables because I honestly melt seeing the LQ art. If this is going to move forward and survive using the originals are needed because some came to the game late and don't really have the first hand clues of how it fit together. Some are smarter than others and others just don't have a clue. It just helps people sharing, caring and will make this whole situations less naggy and more fun. Is anything legal? Nowadays. Every idea knowdays is a replica of something else. So if that's a comfort to the original uploader wouldn't be possible without you really

I have a few ideas

4K remastered backglasses

Original 4.3 and 16.9

Up to date

50-100 puppack overlay starter kit

While redoing all older puppacks

So that's the idea really

Wheels I tried doing they worked out OK

Different styles

Ideas but to be honest with you I just wanna uplift them

So I worked on alot last few days looking like this now still more to do but slowly I'm refreshing them

• Content Provider
8 hours ago, Dazz said:

Honestly, I think patches should be adopted by the hobby as a whole.

As is this is a very un-friendly hobby when it comes to creating derivations from original works. This whole hobby lives in a grey area where nothing we do is totally legal.  Even just using the cartoon likeliness of characters could open up legality issues. None of us own the rights to anything in this hobby... everything is owned by their original IP owners.  

Sometimes obtaining permission to release a mod is unobtainable.  This hobby NEEDS a way to allow people that want to mod a means of doing so.  Modding has always been very important to this hobby and it is how many people get into doing full originals and re-creations. Modding existing games is a means of learning. Patches are a way for anyone that wants to mod an existing table a means of doing so. I feel that ONLY the original author should be allowed to do a full release of the .vpx.  However, modding should be wide open, and made available to anyone that wants to as long as it's released using a patch. This works the same as how Steam Workshop works with Steam and most commercial games.  Patches are just that... they still require the end user to have the original release. The thing with patches is that they are completely harmless and are totally optional by the end user.  If a person doesn't like it.. they don't have to apply the patch.

Look at all the tables released by the late Looserman76... His originals did not have DOF.  There is a team that has been modding his releases to include DOF calls.  All of these were done using patches.  If someone wants DOF on one of Looserman76 releases; they can just apply the patch to have it added.  This way Looserman76 original files remain untouched and are still relevant.

To create a mod/patch the modder would make their mod to the original file, and create a patch. The patch contains ONLY the changes the modder made.  The patch does not include any of the original resources from the original release.  This means that the end user would still need to have the original product or even re-download the original release.  Thus increasing the number of views/download counts for the original file. The modder would only upload their created patch.

This is how may other open source hobbies are handled... 3d printing, Steam Workshop, etc. derivations are very important to those hobbies. 

Our hobby really needs to push for adoption of some kind of open modding.  Getting permission to mod is always a good thing, but modding should be allowed...

The patcher program is great for table modders!

I thought the patcher program only worked on VPX tables?

Does the patcher work on other files that are not a VPX table, like wheels, backglasses, and media?

I was under the impression that it only works on VPX tables.

Eventually I'll start by just modding puppack 4 main default png overlays. I won't change any other work. Just the art interface that way the original authors work remains just the look changed. In regards to table mods, pup creation and scripting. It's way over my head. I'll just concentrate on the looks

I did see the patcher tool. But again 

Woosh

As I move forward I'll leave other usable files so others can make items also and update things just seeing were the help is really needed and trying to be a positive input to that

• Content Provider
28 minutes ago, TheBackglassGuy said:

Eventually I'll start by just modding puppack 4 main default png overlays. I won't change any other work. Just the art interface that way the original authors work remains just the look changed. In regards to table mods, pup creation and scripting. It's way over my head. I'll just concentrate on the looks

I did see the patcher tool. But again 

Woosh

If you’re just modding the overlay for a pup pack shouldn’t that file just drop in the popper media section on here with instructions on how to add it to the existing pup pack? Then there is just an alternative overlay. To be honest I wouldn’t be happy with someone taking one of my pup packs and saying it’s their release just because it has a new overlay. As you know creating takes hours, weeks and sometimes months. 

alternative overlays is a cool idea.

Exactly that. An art only replace. To not interfer with the original work but have an alternative

Be nice to have a puppack of the month competition. Everybody can use Microsoft paint and other art programmes. Just about getting involved

We all have a sweet spot for a specific table. Mine being xfiles and stranger things. So be cool to see other people's work take the load off others for a while and just do some good things. The vpw team here do great work maybe completing a nice full HD pup collection for there tables then moving on to others. The chucky table is flawless. The hellraiser wow what a puppack. Some really good artists here. And then some that just could collab and get more input to really add a cherry on top

So in future if there was a default blank pup overlay to be used. It would just be to reartwork always.

But we're different screens placements and other things. Makes it more challenging. So in future if the pup creator did leave a blank overlay so others could create. It would make alot of things happen in that respect

My first patch released. As a test only file please backup your stranger things STLE puppack and copy in the new video file

It's just one attract video to replace the already intro to the pupack as an example of not editing somebody's work and taking credit but using the resources they have provided to add an alternative look.

It's in the puppack patches folder and will replace the stranger things intro only.

So now you have a puppack with only screen edits. Because stranger thing has no pupoverlays it's all in .mov apple format. 1920x1080 I converted the mp4 to .mov and keep all structure the same

Test it and have have fun.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/128PB3MSF96mBtVBNz1-Tt7P7SwMlOlRT