Are all haptics exciters sound based?

Geemo

I found playing a Legends ALP table interesting with the haptics vibes they send through a proprietary channel to the small cylindrical devices near your hands. 

Now, with my 'tabletop' 24" playfield with an 11" backglass build complete I thought of adding SSF with a couple 50W amps and four Dayton EX58FP 25W exciters. My question is, what does Legends send to the haptics drivers to get that kick?  Doesn't seem like audio as it simply vibrates from different triggers. The TerryRed SSF with FX-3 video demonstrated assigning sound files to DOF event triggers. The Legends effect feels like mechanical buzz maybe a low 60Hz signal where the driver slug is oscillating?  I'm not sure click/clunk wav files sent into wood will be something you can feel? Terry mentions he uses solenoids for feel so I'm thinking the exciters are not like the haptic drivers used in the ALP. I get the 3D positioning from the 7.1 splitting, but the payoff would be to feel the hits not just hear something from zones. 

I read the sound is muted with exciters unless mounted on hardwood strips. The exciter is supposed to be stuck on a thin panel reading the reviews. Stuck on plywood they get very quiet unless powered by serious amps. They advise mounting on strips, and then attaching the strips to the cab walls. Seems crazy for sound to conduct through all that wood.  So, what works for you guys?  Looking for the Legends type devices and what runs them for that kick or pulse to be mounted near the side flippers. Pretty sure SFF may not be the same as 'haptics' unless high wattage amps/drivers are used? Maybe custom sound files with low end thud mixed in? Maybe high-power drivers and amps? Legends stuff seems simple and not crazy powered.  I was thinking 50W amps with 25W exciters may do something but reading others are using 100W per channel devices minimum. Ouch! Spendy stuff there.  

Thanks for any tips.