Feature request for editor

Something I would find useful, and hopefully others, would be a slight modification or mode add to the flood fill tool.  Adding a mode to make it so you can click and hold then draw over different color patches during the same click would be great.  I think this would be especially useful in the smart color mode.  Maybe add it as an option assigned to a brush number?  This could save a ton of clicks.

• Content Provider
2 hours ago, Cadrion said:

draw over different color patches during the same click

Thanks for your input.

I don´t understand that part of your proposal. Could you make an example ? Maybe with a picture ?

I'll try here in txt and if it's not clear I'll do a picture, not at a PC at the moment.  Let's say you had a frame to color that was vertical bars left to right, going from black to full brightness in the dumped frame. Next, setup to color  the frame, enable smart mode.  Draw a line left to right with the pencil.  The color will get assigned according to the palette you are using, but just in the thickness of the pencil you choose.

If you were to use the same motion with flood fill, only one on the bars will get colored.  

What I am suggesting is the automated assignment of color as you drag the pencil applied to the flood fill.

So what would happen is if you used the proposed flood fill, you would click and drag left to right but all of the bars would ended up completely colored in on mouse click and drag.  As it stands now, you would have to click and fill each of the patches individually.  In short, a flood fill that acts like the pencil when you click, hold and move the mouse.

Edited by Cadrion

Yes! hahaha.... That is very much to the point.  Seems like maybe the behavior could be put into a new brush number for the flood fill- do so would preserve how  the tool normally acts.  What I see it being a great help on are frames that are setup with two or more palettes with the smart tool in mind. Each frame after the first frame was configured could be colored more efficiently by selecting the palette basically scribble in an area, switch palettes then scribble in another area..... frame is done.  Thank you for the consideration!

• Content Provider

I just tested it with this

- button held is exactly the same like clicking the button over every dot the mouse is moved over.

I would say brush number 3 and 4 does not make sense in this scenario. Right ?

Huh.... I was using the version 3.0 from December, and just checked and see there is an april 3.0 version from google drive.  both act the same... How mine acts is as follows- select a scene, select smart color, select flood fill paint bucket, replace or colormask mode, select palette from different palette in scene.  When I click, hold and move nothing happens until I release the mouse button, then it fills the current patch I'm over only.  It's like the trigger to fill is the release of the mouse button.   I will check to see how it acts on my wife's computer and if its the same I'll see if I can upload a video and make sure we are on the same page for the function.    Yes, brush 3 can be too aggressive and will still require many clicks and 4 would be too much because of how it covers the entire frame thanks...

Edited by Cadrion

Man, this can really speed editing up and really reduce the clicks.  Seems to be working perfectly.  Something that is really neat is if you are editing an area that is the same across many frames, you can now hold down the mouse button and sweep back and fourth and not have to lift the button and just simply change the frame with the arrow keys.  Nice work!

• 1 year later...

Is there a way to see your colorized scenes triggered in realtime against a dump or raw file, instead of having to load it on SD card and playing a game to view the results? I thought that's was what the "Live Preview" click box did but that's not the case.  This would be especially useful for troubleshooting LCM scenes. 

Edited by reinkc

• Content Provider
13 hours ago, reinkc said:

Is there a way to see your colorized scenes triggered in realtime against a dump or raw file, instead of having to load it on SD card and playing a game to view the results? I thought that's was what the "Live Preview" click box did but that's not the case.  This would be especially useful for troubleshooting LCM scenes. 

You need to connect your pin2dmd through USB to use live preview. Then copy the real pin export to your SD and playback one of the recordings to check your project.