Serum on real pinballs

usul27

Some people already asked about it, so I'll do a pre-announcement here: There will be a way to run Serum on a real pinball machine hopefully soon. As the TRON colorisation is already quite useful, I'll start with the Serum integration now.

What's needed:

- a small electronics board reading the signals from the DMD interface
- a Raspberry Pi 4 - this plugs directly onto the interface board
- an LCD display. There are some nice "stretched bar" displays available that fit perfectly into a normal speaker panel. I hope to get one really HUGE soon to also have the option for a large display as seen on the CGC machines
- lots of software 😉

The software basically consists of 2 parts: 
Code for the hardware interface: https://github.com/pinballpower/code_dmd

Code to read the data and process it: (dump, color, resize, display, ...): https://github.com/pinballpower/code_dmdreader

Can I buy a plug-and-play kit?

No, there will be no "plug-and-play" solution - at least not from me. However, I try to document the steps to set everything up correctly. Also I won't provide any individual support. Until the software and documentation is rock-solid it's probably only good for people with at least some Linux knowledge.

What platforms are supported?
The IO-Board and the software have been tested already with WPC, Whitestar, SAM and Spike-1

When will SERUM be integrated?
I can't say for sure, but I hope I get a first version working in the next weeks. Let's see...

Does it also work with Pin2DMD colorisations?
There is some unfinished code available to also use Pin2DMD files, but after what happened last year with Pin2DMD, I completely stopped working on this. If somebody wants to go on with this, I'm happy to tell you what's already there.

Why only the Pi4? 
Because the OpenGL hardware on the Pi3 and Pi4 is very different, I implemented this only for the Pi4. If somebody want's to contribute code for the Pi3 or even other SBCs, I'm happy to integrate it. But I won't spend time by myself on this.

What about LED displays?
I won't start working on this soon. The Raspberry Pi should be able to also handle this. I know at least one person is already looking into this. If you want to help, contact me.

Can I help?
Sure, there are two ways:
1. You can contribute code
2. If you're not a coder, create a colorisation.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
On 2/4/2024 at 4:28 AM, Tinkertilter said:

I have a pin2dmd screen lying around and would like to use it with serum in a real Tron pinball machine. Is it possible?

Simple answer: no.

You need an alphaDMD (or the next extended version of ZeDMD).