AI Upscale of playfield and other graphics

redbone

I recently downloaded Barracora.  The playfield was sub optimal and I went on a search where I found the playfield in jpg format that was used in this table. Inside the table, it was labeled upscale... but didn't look very well done. I decided to run it through https://imgupscaler.com/ at 400%.  It looked great! After doing an overlay with some opacity to get everything lined up correctly I selected all the transparent parts and deleted the contents from the new layer.  After I was done, I updated the vpx with my AI upscaled image and it looks much better.  If we aren't all using various AI Upscale tools... we need to be!  I've attached my new playfield. 

Please let me know what you think!  Would love to hear if anyone else has done this.

playfield_UpScaled.png

• Content Provider

Pretty nice!  The only "AI Upscale" thing I clocked was the black->blue gradient stippling got turned into squares.  But none of the usual edge weirdness or loss of detail otherwise that I can see!

1 hour ago, slydog43 said:

Incredible, I was wondering how well this would work for a while but never got around to trying it.  I just tried an old 1965 table that was blurry and now it looks awesome.  Thanks for this GREAT information.

I would love to see your upscale.  Which table was it and where did you get the source file?

59 minutes ago, Wylte said:

Pretty nice!  The only "AI Upscale" thing I clocked was the black->blue gradient stippling got turned into squares.  But none of the usual edge weirdness or loss of detail otherwise that I can see!

Here was the file I used - https://classicplayfields.com/shop/pinball-playfields/barracora-4/  

I didn't use the one from the .vpx because it had already been upscaled.  The best results are going to come from the best source file you can get of course.  Starting with one that has already been upscaled isn't going to work very good.

Where are people getting most of their source files for tables?  I just happened across the one I linked to above.

@hauntfreaks  I saw you were tagged in Laser Cue for providing the the initial playfield image.    Can you please share where you got this image from?  The one I found is skewed and seems distorted and I'm having trouble aligning it to the one in this release.  I'd like to get the original one before any upscaling or enhancements have been done to try and push it through several AI upscalers to see what they can possibly do.  Thanks!

I worked on Laser Cue some more. I had to really warp the playfield I found after AI upscaling to get all the transparent cutouts to line up.  Here is a closeup difference between the two. I'll follow up with the .png table after I finish the lettering.

The top if obviously the AI upscaled and the other on the bottom is the one that comes with the .vpx.

Capture.PNG

Very interesting stuff!  The upscaled images are very crisp, if at some subtle expense of depth / detail / shading to my eye.  The original playfield has a certain richness which feels hand-drawn and authentic (which I think I prefer to the upscaled version 🙂)

@redbone - thanks for sharing this - I'm very interested to see how this technique and technology develops.  Anything which helps to preserve our beloved art is always appreciated.

Best,

D

Here is a full of Laser Cue.  It's far from perfect, but it was really hard to deal with warping the only playfield I could find into place.  I'm certain there are better source files to start with than what I have been able to find.  If there were, there wouldn't be the amount of distortion you can see in this, but it loads into the vpx fine and looks really good while playing. :)   ... even with the warpy lines.

1046424773_LaserCuePlayfieldModdedredbonev3.thumb.png.2a7b57585e83d0338914857335eefcb0.png

I don't know, but the 5mb limit is enough to run all the originals I've found on older tables with quality that you would want to use this method on.

It doesn't help to do it on a source that had already been messed.  The best source is the original regardless of original quality.