Is there a simple guide for adding sound to gates?

TT11

Hi all,

I have a few tables that I really enjoy playing, but there are a few sound events that don't trigger.  My main gripe is gates.  You know, the ball passes through a gate on the playfield and that little tiny metallic sound just doesn't trigger.....

Is there a simple guide anywhere that could run me through how to add sound for a ball passing through a gate?

Also, if there is the sound of a 'gate' already in the Sound Manager, how do you link it to a 'gate' event in the VP Editor?

Appreciate all comments.

I asked over at VPF and was told:-

sub gatename_hit

playsoundatball "whatever"

end sub

Not having ever really coded a table's script....  If I place:-

sub gatename_hit

end sub

in a script, anywhere, miraculously any gates on the table will suddenly have a sound associated?  Surely there must be more to this .... ??

Edited by TT11

• Content Provider
16 hours ago, TT11 said:

Hi all,

I have a few tables that I really enjoy playing, but there are a few sound events that don't trigger.  My main gripe is gates.  You know, the ball passes through a gate on the playfield and that little tiny metallic sound just doesn't trigger.....

Is there a simple guide anywhere that could run me through how to add sound for a ball passing through a gate?

Also, if there is the sound of a 'gate' already in the Sound Manager, how do you link it to a 'gate' event in the VP Editor?

Appreciate all comments.

I asked over at VPF and was told:-

sub gatename_hit

end sub

Not having ever really coded a table's script....  If I place:-

sub gatename_hit

end sub

in a script, anywhere, miraculously any gates on the table will suddenly have a sound associated?  Surely there must be more to this .... ??

You would substitute "gatename" with the name of the actual object on the table.

So if you clicked a certain gate on the table in the editor, it would say Gate1, or Gate2, and so on.

So say you clicked on a gate in editor, and it is named "Gate5"

So it would look like this in script...

Sub Gate5_Hit()

playsoundatball "whatever sound you are using"

End Sub

If your sound effect in the Sound Manager is named "Gate"

Then it would look like this...

Sub Gate5_Hit()

playsoundatball "Gate"

End Sub

Hope this helps you.

• Content Provider
28 minutes ago, TT11 said:

Thank you Xenonph.  I will go ahead and update some tables where they don't sound now.  E.g. Stern Playboy VPX - The VP9 version worked...!!

Very welcome.

I actually use these gate hits to trigger other events, and alot of tables do not have gate subs.

So I end up adding my own gate subs.

Also I like to add a plunger release sound effect with no ball in plunger lane, so it is different than if a ball was in plunger lane.

Small effects like this just add to the overall greatness of tables.