Backglass Flashing

One of the reasons I've gravitated to playing FP instead of VP is that when I play VP my backglass flashes really bad and it gets annoying.  I didn't think it was a problem with PC horsepower.  When I posted about this a few months ago I was told to try adding a dedicated video card for the backglass.  Below are my PC and display specs pasted from my build thread.  What's missing from the list is I did add a second video card dedicated to the Viewsonic 28" backglass monitor.  The 2nd video card did not fix the problem.  The backglass flashes no matter whether I'm running from Hyperpin or PinballX.  The backglass also flashes when it's a still image and it flashes when its a B2S server image.  If I hover over a B2S backglass and hit "S" to bring up the config menu the flashing stops.  Then it starts back up as soon as I close the B2S dialog.  My backglass has no flashing problems at all playing Future Pinball and I can play backglass preview videos just fine in both front end programs.  I installed the DOF stuff last night and got that running hoping it might fix something but no dice.  I'm stuck as to what's causing this annoying behavior.  Its so bad I usually don't want to show any VP tables when I have guests.

Displays
Playfield Monitor - Samsung 40" TV (UN40EH5000F) [Link]
Backglass Monitor - Viewsonic 28" 16:10 Monitor (VX2835WM) [Link]
Vishay DMD Orange - (LEE-128G032B) [Link]

Computer Parts
Motherboard - GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-D3H LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard [Link]
CPU - Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD [Link]
Video Card - GIGABYTE GV-N670OC-2GD GeForce GTX 670 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card [Link]
CPU Fan - COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R2 [Link]
SSD Hard Drive - SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series MZ-7PD256BW 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) [Link]
Memory - CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B [Link]
Power Supply - COOLER MASTER Silent Pro RS850-AMBAJ3-US 850W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V v2.92 SLI Ready [Link]
Sound Card - Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD 24-bit 96KHz PCI Express x1 Interface Sound Card powered by THX TruStudio Pro [Link]

Gil

Looks to me like your system should be way more than enough to handle this. I have considerably less and no such problems.

Just for information You said it happens with either front end, how about running from the editor without the frontend, same deal?

You only talk about DB2S tables, have you tried UVP tables? or older Non rom tables just to see if you can further isolate the problem.

Right now, given what you said, I would be looking at video card drivers or maybe a reinstall of the dB2S server software.

Right now I'm in the process of setting up a new PC for my cab.  I have a brand new GTX-660 in it.  I have noticed that FP set up just fine and works 100%, but VP has some weird graphics issues like certain objects looking like they are made up of static.

I have not had time to delve into it yet, but we may both be having similar problems with different results.

Well I thought about this while sitting at work and the first thing I tried fixed it.  At least I have my fingers crossed...I swear I saw this go away before then come back a couple days later.  Anyways what I found is that my backglass monitor was set to 1980x1020 but its native resolution is 1920x1200 since its a 16:10 display.  I'm sure hoping this is the fix and things stay good with it.

Gil

Archived