Update DMD ST32 to Firmware V4.41

Newbie77

I bought a used 128x32 LED Display which has DMD ST32 circuit board installed, see pictures.

It was the pin2DMD firmware 2.36 installed, with which the pin2dmd logo after bootup is fine.

After updating to firmware 4.41 the pin2dmd logo looks strange, see pictures.

connected to a pinball the scenes are shown on the display, but they also have the same strange "double-picture".

Any ideas? Does this old hardware in general work with the new firmware?

20221013_195333_resized.jpg

20221013_200411_resized.jpg

20221013_200457_resized.jpg

20221013_200507_resized.jpg

hi Terranigma, 

thanks for your fast answer. I don't think it's compatible because the MK66 has a different µC.

The DMD ST32 is working with the stm32f4127 µC. For my understanding it should work with V3 Stm32F4 firmware. But maybe I am wrong.

• Content Provider
3 minutes ago, Newbie77 said:

hi Terranigma, 

thanks for your fast answer. I don't think it's compatible because the MK66 has a different µC.

The DMD ST32 is working with the stm32f4127 µC. For my understanding it should work with V3 Stm32F4 firmware. But maybe I am wrong.

In general it should work with Discovery firmware but pinballsp played a lot with the schematics and the components he used and therefore I can give no guarantee and I have to admit that I´m not very motivated to give support for that hardware. What is the voltage you run the hardware with ? 4.8V ?

I have the LED panels and the dmdst32  connected to an old pc power supply. At the plug mounted to the led panels i can measure 4.82 volt.

What I find out till now is that the display works fine till firmware version 2.58. From firmware 2.60 and later the picture gets weird.

Edited by Newbie77

• Content Provider

I guess the problem is caused by bad routing of the HUB75 signal causing crosstalk.

Or maybe the ESP32 is causing the problem. I can´t say.

The speed of the HUB75 output got optimized several times to e.g. increase the number of

colors that can be displayed. All the changes work with all revisions of my boards.

Sorry to say but there is nothing I can change to make it work on that hardware from the firmware side.

Maybe removing the solder bridges and adding the missing  parts pinballsp did not mount to save some cents or replacing the

solder bridges with wire connections helps.

If not then 2.58 is the last version you are able to use with that hardware. Sorry.

20221013_200457_resized.thumb.jpg.f092f0bb2575ea86920016f64dfb701f.jpg

Hello lucky1,

thank you very much for your fast analysis. Especially because of the history you have with pinballsp...

Do you have an idea which ICs were planned / should be installed over the solder bridges? 74ls123 and max232?

I like to add these missing parts...

First I will follow your idea and replace the BAT60J...

greetings

Edited by Newbie77