Tommy The Who's

Hello.

First of all sorry for my english.

I've been coloring Tommy pinball for a while, but I find that the scenes are being duplicated.

I have followed all the steps in the tutorials.

It is normal? any advice?.

It is very annoying as it creates confusion and you lose the line of work.

Thank you so much.

Captura de pantalla 2022-09-28 204631.jpg

• Content Provider
44 minutes ago, frmotors said:

Hello.

First of all sorry for my english.

I've been coloring Tommy pinball for a while, but I find that the scenes are being duplicated.

I have followed all the steps in the tutorials.

It is normal? any advice?.

It is very annoying as it creates confusion and you lose the line of work.

Thank you so much.

Hi there,

Looking good!

If you are getting these scenes duplicated at places where they shouldn't be, one possibility could be that your keyframe/detection mask for these scenes are not unique enough. Because those are mainly replace scenes you have circled, when the keyframe is triggered it will completely replace whatever is on the screen, rather than just mask the colours.

You will need to show us a bit more information such as the keyframe that matches the Parachuten_2-0-0-0-0 replace scene, along with the detection mask selected in the photo.

Edit: Looking at your other keyframes on the right, you may get some better results for scenes such as the Data East logo if you change it to a replace scene. If there is no dynamic content and you have split these sections up into each scene, then a replace will work better and give you more flexibility with colouring and keeping the content from dropping any frames of colour.

Also make sure that any of the scenes you are having issues with don't contain any dynamic content when using the replace scenes. This will overwrite the entire screen with what is shown on your scene and nothing else. 

Thanks

• 2 months later...
  • Content Provider

Continuing the conversation here from the other thread I have done a quick write up for your situation. Please use it only as a guide. I am not the best at explaining things so if you need clarification just ask.

I have had a look at the project and it seems you are not using any detection masks. Without them you will be looking for the entire frame to appear, this will not work if you have dynamic content such as a score that always changes, a countdown, players initials etc. There are guides out there but here is a specific example to your actual project.

Please note, as always this is an example. Don't just copy and paste it to your project and expect it to work for everything or at all. Please look at the data and adapt to your needs. If people want to contribute that is welcome, but please use your own examples to show what you mean rather than giving a specific scenario and no context. I'm not going to talk about palettes, colour priority, LCM or more detailed things, if the author hasn't got the concept of basic masks I don't see any point in adding extra detail right now, but others are welcome to add.

I am going to show you an example of how to use a detection mask for your scenes. This mask may not be the one you end up using, it may need to be modified or totally deleted and not used in the end at all. For those more advanced, yes the Mask is intentionally larger than it needs to be.

The purpose of this mask shape is to cover as many scenes as possible so you can free up your other masks for more complex scenes. I picked this by quickly skimming your dump file and studying the static content of your scenes that also had dynamic content somewhere else present. Because the dynamic content will change, we can't mask this area. You will see that this shape I chose will help you trigger multiple scenes and allow you to use only 1 mask for all of these. It is highly recommended you go through your ENTIRE dumps because you may need to tweak this mask so it can cover more scenes. If you study all your dumps first you can save yourself some time and you can map out what you will need for the future. 

As a note, these will all be colormask. You have used some full frame keyframes and also replace scenes on dynamic content, this will never work correctly.

This is the first Keyframe and scene I am going to show. I have created 7 scene examples. They all use Mask 1.

From left to right you can see the following:

- The dump file I am taking the content from

- The scene (colormask), note I have not done any colouring here.

- The Keyframe which triggers the scene

- The selected scene for the Keyframe selected

- The Hash with the Mask 1 (M1) Selected

- The D-Mask selected showing we are using Mask 1

Christmas.thumb.jpeg.1fc975d8228079b8dd0907445cfe1008.jpeg

The next image is more complex and ties these together.

The main things to note here are the Mask and Keyframe areas. You will see the top keyframe hash with the small preview window showing you EXACTLY what is being detected to trigger the scene. It is looking for a small amount of the entire frame, which has now been given an individual hash. You can also see this in the main preview window below in the pink box. Please note this will NOT work if there are say 2 separate scenes in your game that both have the selected parts of "Christmas" as a detection mask but the rest of the frame is different. So it is a good idea to check your entire project before committing to masks. You can always add another one later but always try to limit your use for scenarios that may be more complex or you find you may need afterwards.

2104897245_AllExamples.thumb.jpeg.c23ffcdd47fa080cb07f6b3abf624915.jpeg

And this is what your current project keyframe triggers are set up for, you can see in the blue boxes that your file is looking for this exact frame with dynamic numbers and all, in order to be able to start. The probability of this is very unlikely so it won't trigger.

1558657569_NoMask.thumb.jpg.c9021a02dac2bc37a76a5378f3419996.jpg

Here are the rest of the scenes I found that the mask will fit

1970739904_Cousin1.thumb.jpg.fcdb11829a7eca8077a469191a8236fc.jpgDoctor.thumb.jpeg.578e40a8a42150e97f2aecfafd2c8ad2.jpegDouble.thumb.jpeg.284edef798a12957826103d528590c88.jpegHoliday.thumb.jpeg.75669e8a87e77539caf17ec812e06970.jpeg826113253_Sally2.thumb.jpeg.47074c4da367a633b8779eab51e5cad0.jpegSally1.thumb.jpeg.b966a0524bc35ce32e42d230db0e3e86.jpeg.

• 1 year later...