Vpinballx.exe will not launch due to Application Error

mclaugh

Appreciate any and all help in advance.

Up until recently, my vPin cabinet worked without issue- about a week ago, loaded some new tables and learned that I could not launch VPX (Usually open new tables in Edit to dial in their POVs).  When attempting to launch a table directly (double click the *.vpx file) or open VPX via shortcut, I get this error:

VpinballX.exe- Application Error

The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b).  Click OK to close the application.

Prior to this issue, my homebuilt cabinet worked just fine- launching Pinup, playing tables, etc.  The only recent item of note is a 'mandatory' Windows update that I apparently could not avoid, though I'm ignorant of what it did.

-->Tried the usual troubleshooting (at first, thinking it related to my beta version of VPX 10.71)- d/l a new VPX beta, google the error above (w/o real success), load/reload items listed due to the above error (.net, updating dll files, etc).  Tried the newest version of VPX.  Tried using VPX 10.7 stable installer.  Etcetera.

-->Last night, I was staring at the VPX folder and thought "do the other VPX versions work?"  Was able to open VPinball995, VPinball921, VPinballxPOV.exe, VPinball62.exe - but not VPinballX.exe .

I am sure that I am missing something silly- what am I doing wrong?  Thanks for reading.

(VPin is built inside a destroyed Fireball cabinet, 3 screen, Windows 10 home install 21H2 build 19044.2006, [email protected], 32gig RAM, x64, Geforce RTS 2060, Pinscape Controller, etc)

• 6 months later...
On 9/19/2022 at 11:55 AM, mclaugh said:

Appreciate any and all help in advance.

Up until recently, my vPin cabinet worked without issue- about a week ago, loaded some new tables and learned that I could not launch VPX (Usually open new tables in Edit to dial in their POVs).  When attempting to launch a table directly (double click the *.vpx file) or open VPX via shortcut, I get this error:

VpinballX.exe- Application Error

The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b).  Click OK to close the application.

Prior to this issue, my homebuilt cabinet worked just fine- launching Pinup, playing tables, etc.  The only recent item of note is a 'mandatory' Windows update that I apparently could not avoid, though I'm ignorant of what it did.

-->Tried the usual troubleshooting (at first, thinking it related to my beta version of VPX 10.71)- d/l a new VPX beta, google the error above (w/o real success), load/reload items listed due to the above error (.net, updating dll files, etc).  Tried the newest version of VPX.  Tried using VPX 10.7 stable installer.  Etcetera.

-->Last night, I was staring at the VPX folder and thought "do the other VPX versions work?"  Was able to open VPinball995, VPinball921, VPinballxPOV.exe, VPinball62.exe - but not VPinballX.exe .

I am sure that I am missing something silly- what am I doing wrong?  Thanks for reading.

(VPin is built inside a destroyed Fireball cabinet, 3 screen, Windows 10 home install 21H2 build 19044.2006, [email protected], 32gig RAM, x64, Geforce RTS 2060, Pinscape Controller, etc)

I just had the same problem with any 64bit versions of vpx.  I used Dependenciesx64 to see what might be missing and it showed it was looking for d3dx9_43.dll and xinput1_3.dll. These files are in my \Vpinball folder but in the end I had to (re)install Directx runtimes. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35

4 hours ago, Cliffy said:

I just had the same problem with any 64bit versions of vpx.  I used Dependenciesx64 to see what might be missing and it showed it was looking for d3dx9_43.dll and xinput1_3.dll. These files are in my \Vpinball folder but in the end I had to (re)install Directx runtimes. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35

Crazy enough, I went back to x86 until Big Bang Bar came out- followed the YT video but x64 wouldn't work.  Mentioned it on reddit (I had tried Dependencies as well) and it turned out that I needed to manually install the DirectX 2013 runtimes, despite having all others!  Glad yours is working as well.