Using a Popper screen on real DMD while playing EM tables in VPX

cerebusk

I have a PinDMD 3 set up with Popper, and what I'd like to do is leave the DMD on when I go from the menu to any EM table.  In most cases, what you would see on the DMD is the rotating panels with the table's name, date and manufacturer.  This is supported by Popper; all I have to do is set "Keep Displays On" = 1 in the games manager for each table.

However, when I start a table that I've set up this way, Popper's DMD window (which is normally hidden under the Popper backglass window while the menu is running and gets mirrored to the real DMD) suddenly comes to the front and sits on top of the backglass.  I've changed the size of the window down to the minimum (128x32), but it's still pretty visible on an HD screen.

On the wiki, there is a page that mentions that if you don't want to have to mirror the DMD, you can use GIFs or PNGs instead of MP4s to display on the real DMD, but I am not clear about how to make this work.  So far, it looks to me like GIFs and PNGs still require mirroring.

I have found one way to make this work: by creating a virtual display in windows and moving the Popper DMD to that screen.  That's kind of a kludgy workaround, though, and I feel like that can't be good for overall system performance.

Does anyone know how to use a real DMD in Popper without mirroring?  Or maybe alternatively, know how to force the Popper DMD window behind the DirectB2S backglass display?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I too am using a pindmd3 and would like to do this.  I went to the article you described and see the bit about using the pupdll's which I have and are on sme version.  however when I turn off mirroring I get no display.

Did you have to do anything else?