RS232 & TTL information

• Content Provider

I want to know a little bit more about the RS232 & TTL headers on the PIN2DMD products.

I used the search button, but I didn't get any wiser.

Is there a forum topic or webpage were the headers are explained on how to use them with the editor and let's say an Arduino for external triggering?

If this is not well documented and the explanation is good, I could make a bit of documentation on how to use and implement it in the correct way.

I like the functiosn. To be able to use them would be better, of course :).

• Content Provider

Basically it is used for 3 things

1. Pinball Browser Serial Sidechannel uses RS232 RX channel to receive the palette information

from the Stern SAM boards . See https://pin2dmd.com/pinball-browser/

2. PIN2DMD Editor event keyframes use the TX path of either RS232 or TTL to send out 2 byte command followed by a zero byte (0x00) while each command byte is from 0x01 to 0xff . 

e.g. this mod can use these commands to play videos https://github.com/sker65/serial-media-srv

3. If "Debug Hash" is turned on in the onscreen menu the hashes triggering a scene of a pin2dmd editor colorization are sent out as a 8 digit hex number followed by a LineFeed (0x0A). While this is implemented to debug triggering problems it can practically also be (mis)used to trigger events like in 2. without the need to define extra event keyframes.

Com parameters are always 57600,8,1,N

• Content Provider

Okay, that's an explanation. 

So if I understand correctly you could technically use #2 to trigger something else then to play video's.

As an example I would like to add some "thunder flasing" to my Bram Stokers Dracula. In the end when counting the bonus you will see some thunder over the screen flashing with the sound. 

I would love to add a simple arduino connected to one of the ports (RS232 or TTL, which is easier) and at the thunder scene the PIN2DMD would trigger the Arduino to control a LED strip for example. Just to make the thunder more immersive.

But I don't think I will figure this out with the explanation above.

Is there more documentation on this or a tutorial with the "same" outcome?