Please help, No more sound in vpx, no more quarter sounds at all in anything, and pressing f1 no longer brings up rom menu

just as the titles says, I have no idea what happened, but my sound works fine in future pinball,l fx2 etc, even in popper right up until the table loads.  Even if a table had no sound really in the begining , I would atleast hear the quarters sound coming from my dayton exciters.  No longer do i get any of those sounds while in vpx.  all the otehr emulators work fine still.  Another thing thats weird is i usually test things out on 24 because its the first game listed, and when that game started you would hear something like " you have 24hrs etc", now its nothing.  Its not the sound card, all the other emulators work fine, and in the popper menu while browsing sound is fine.   I have the bottom 7.1 surround sound feedback  choice chosen, as i always have , in VPX sound settings.

Not hearing the quarter go in when i add credits to a game, seems to be missing from everything.   All other sound options are disabled (from all my screens, and my video card etc)

The other weird thing, is when i press F1 while in vpx , I no longer get the roms menu screen.  Instead it pauses the game.  I have no buttons mapped to pause gameplay.  Even stranger, to unpause I have to hit the escape button, and then the game continues.  I went into pinmame and checked the locations all was well, and i ran the default settings test and it detects the roms, loads the dmd, and the options menu that used to come up when hitting f1 shows up.  

Does anyone have any idea how to fix any of these things?  Remember sound works fine in all the other emulators, except i no longer get the quarter being added to the machine sound on anything anymore.  The F1 now pausing the game instead of bringing up the menu i have no idea.  any help would be appreciated.

• 1 year later...

I have the same pausing if F1 is pressed on a new laptop install of mine.  Very strange as I can Alt-Tab and no option screen is listed.  Everything else seems to be working fine, just have to esc to continue game.

Any ideas on what is going on?  (win11)