How can I get started creating my own original tables?

Now that I have many tables downloaded and running perfectly in VPX now, my thoughts have now turned to making my own original tables to share with the community at large. I already have some ideas for tables I would like to make, but I don't know how to get started with that. I have some graphic design skill so there's that. I've looked at the code for even the simplest of the simple tables (Bunnyboard from 1932) and it looks really, really intimidating. I have no coding background and the couple times I've tried learning code I've hit a dead end. I think (in my non-expert opinion) the most logical way to start out would be to make a solid state table like the ones Mark1 has created for Future Pinball (you can have a look at them here to see what I mean).

Anybody have some good advice to point me in the right direction?

• 2 weeks later...

For me, it was learning how a table worked by recreating a table that didn't have too complex components in it: Slingshots, some bumpers and a few targets. 

I dissected a table (I used Hauntfreaks Scooby Doo KISS table) to understand each of the script components in that table. Have a look at one specific component (a bumper for example) and look for the code related to that.

Good luck! The learning curve may be steep, but I find it well worth once figuring things out. 

:) Have a go.

Start with a blank table and put all of your components on there first.  Each bit will then have a bit of code to do the scoring, sounds, etc.

The code itself is not that difficult to pick up, google "VBS loops" for example to get the syntax if you have not used VBScripts before. VPX specific stuff is in the CommandReference.txt in your VisualPinball folder

For original tables it does not make much difference between EM and SS as there is no ROM, you have to add the rules.

The main gotcha I had when starting was "Collections" They are not immediately obvious from the script but they are invaluable.  They are an array of objects that can be looped through with a tiny bit of code for example "For each xx in GI:xx.State = 1: Next" turns on all lights in the GI collection, if something is not working in a collection check the tick boxes are correct, that has caused me pain more than once