Do the cheap microswitch buttons in a ALP create lag just by how far/hard you have to depress them?

I feel like there is a terrible amount of lag while playing otg mode and I've noticed that if I keep the buttons half depressed already I get a more accurate response from them. So I replace the buttons with leaf switches, will the response be quicker from them? I've already got the parts on order so I hope my theory is correct. I'm gutting this machine anyway soon to ditch the atgames board and screens completely.

I still think it's the USB bus that is slow in signaling the software to move the flippers. I didn't really notice the lag myself because I got accustomed to it; I think my brain just anticipates the split second and has me pressing the buttons in advance. When a friend visited yesterday he definitely noticed a delay because he is accustomed to playing his real machines.

If AtGames ever fixes the lag it would make a lot of folks happy, but for now I guess my subconscious is working around the problem.

I wish I could not notice it, but it makes playing almost impossible for me. Not that the lag is so terribly bad that I can't play, but I'm hyper aware of it and it just ruins the fun for me. Any time I've mentioned this elsewhere online people pile on saying it's my PC or my USB, ect. I have a very nice gaming pc dedicated to pinball and my USB cable is short and the one I've seen recommended elsewhere. I also tried other USB cables and the results are the same.

I do believe there is some lag in the software or electronic hardware of the machine itself. After experimenting with keeping constant pressure on the buttons as I play in order to lessen the time it takes to trigger the microswitch, I'm inclined to believe the heavy pressure needed on the switches at the very least compounds the lag problems that other components are adding to. I'm going to swap my buttons out to add leaf switches before I gut the machine so I can post the results for other ALP users.

• 5 months later...
On 1/1/2022 at 1:40 PM, wentle85 said:

I feel like there is a terrible amount of lag while playing otg mode and I've noticed that if I keep the buttons half depressed already I get a more accurate response from them. So I replace the buttons with leaf switches, will the response be quicker from them? I've already got the parts on order so I hope my theory is correct. I'm gutting this machine anyway soon to ditch the atgames board and screens completely.

On the group I'm in for the ALP, many of them have said that they go for the Gold Leaf buttons as it works better than stock ALP flipper and nudge buttons.

• 1 year later...

Gold Leaf buttons make a dramatic difference.  As those of us who have gone to blind OTG with a new playfield screen have found the real culprit is the terrible stock screen and however they have that wired up.  I was worried I'd still have lag using the built in OTG with Vibs, but it's gone completely.