Evo board DFU mode not detected as USB device

soren

I have bought some Pin2Dmd 128x32 Evo boards complete assembly from a vendor (no need to mention which).

It is using the STM32F427 type CPU.

During normal operation they are recognised as "PIN2DMD" USB device in Windows 10. But entering DFU mode nothing. No detection. No (unknown) device in Device manager. Gnd voltage to measure at R18 and R19.

Entering DFU mode no LEDs are lit of the red/yellow/blue ones. Is this correct?

I have checked voltages at a number of spots. They check out.

I have looked through previous threads including the one below. And generic searches on STM32/DFU issues. No tip has helped me.

I have tried two different PC and two different USB cables. Same. All combinations have the device show in normal operation. Not in DFU mode.

I have used Zadig to change driver for the normal operation device connected. Doesn't make any difference for when switching to DFU mode.

All the Pin2Dmd boards I have work the same.

What am I doing wrong? Have I overlooked something? Are the boards defective?

Edited by soren

• Content Provider
22 minutes ago, soren said:

I have bought some Pin2Dmd 128x32 Evo boards complete assembly from a vendor (no need to mention which).

Since your vendor did successfully install the firmware I´m confident that the DFU mode is working fine.

It seems to be a problem with your computer or USB cable. 

Good point. I am just super puzzled by why it connects running the 4.26 firmware. And not in DFU mode.

Also forgot to mention that I have tested connecting via a self powered USB hub.

Edited by soren

• 2 weeks later...

I have made a video showing what I have a described. This particular board is a healthy one and running Pin2Dmd 4.26 (no SD card).

Please review it and find the needle in the haystack of why da f*** this unit does not appear in DFU mode. What is done wrong here??

As you can see it connects when firmware is running. In DFU mode the device turns disconnect (grey dot). And no new device appears.

• Content Provider

Did you try to nstall the drivers located in the DFUSE folder for the device ?

DFU mode does not register with the same PID VID as PIN2DMD. Look in the device manager which device 

comes up new when you connect in DFU mode and install that driver for it.

Following as I have exactly the same problem on my evo 128x32 😕

ANd when trying to update through Sd card with only the upd file on it, it shows invalid update when rebooting( (even if my upd file is latest dowloaded today)

Thanks in advance for your help

12 hours ago, lucky1 said:

Can you make a video of the device manager when powering up the EVO while holding the DFU button, not the the reset method you used above. 

I will do that tonight.

I am really really curious how the STM32F427 chip registers as a USB device when connected in DFU mode. If someone with a working unit would like to run USBDeview and post the relevant row here. Much appreciated.

Get it here.
https://www.nirsoft.net/

• Content Provider
12 hours ago, Yota said:

Following as I have exactly the same problem on my evo 128x32 😕

ANd when trying to update through Sd card with only the upd file on it, it shows invalid update when rebooting( (even if my upd file is latest dowloaded today)

Thanks in advance for your help

First of all you don´t have the same problem, because your device recognizes the update file. 

Invalid update normally means you have downloaded the wrong file or your download is corrupt.

Are you sure that you have a EVO ? You can identify your hardware from the pictures here

https://pin2dmd.com/hardware/ .

If you have a EVO did you download by clicking the download button here ? 

https://github.com/lucky01/PIN2DMD/blob/master/firmware/latest/EVO128x32_EVO128x16/PIN2DMD.upd

Hi

I meant that the DFU process result in my computer not recognizing the usb hence unable to update through DFU or through st link. I also tried many cables.

I confirm i have the evo and I downloaded the right 128x32 upd file to try through Sd card unfortunately with the error message. I will try on another computer today.

Rgds

• Content Provider
2 hours ago, soren said:

I will do that tonight.

I am really really curious how the STM32F427 chip registers as a USB device when connected in DFU mode. If someone with a working unit would like to run USBDeview and post the relevant row here. Much appreciated.

Get it here.
https://www.nirsoft.net/

When no driver is installed it registers as STM32 Bootloader

no.thumb.png.6c84e94ef739bd3ec3d176e28f08875c.png

If driver is installed as STM device in DFU mode

ok.thumb.png.5a6afd0e2e59ace8dc0186d8bee1536b.png

Two videos with Device manager and an alternative Device manager app with more info and different structure.

As seen. DFU-mode is by comparison completely numb.

With firmware running.

Notice the "refresh" in DM.

In DFU-mode.

No "refresh" in DM.

Forgot to show the USB controllers tap. It has no STM... entry.

Edited by soren

Yota, thanks for the suggestion. But here is the outline.

1. I bought three Pin2Dmd units.

2. Actiavte one. It works. Decide to upgrade it. It crashes during update. Black screen. No response of any kind.

3. Want to reprogram via USB and DFU-mode. Cannot make it work.

4. Take one of the other units to try with that one and compare how they work.

5. Same issue. Even the unit that is working running the firmware is unable to connect in DFU-mode. Can connect in runmode. I see a pattern here.

So you see. It is not a matter of upgrading a healthy unit. It is a matter of bring one with bad firmware back to life. And a general concern of something not working the way it should according to the documentation.

Have tried four different computers. Including dedicated USB2 ports. Also tried with USB-hubs.

• Content Provider

There is something wrong with your hardware. You should contact your hardware supplier (the guy you bought the units from) with this problem and ask him how he uploaded the firmware to the units. Maybe he used a STLink interface . They cost around 10$ on ebay. If you have a discovery or Nucleo based pin2dmd at hand you can use the onboard

ST-Link to program the EVOs. If you don´t care about soldering on the boards you can remove D1 and replace it with a solder bridge to see if that helps. 

44 minutes ago, soren said:

Have tried four different computers. Including dedicated USB2 ports. Also tried with USB-hubs.

Did you also try different USB cables ?

Try again with dfu button pressed longer and with completely removed power. You’re pressing the buttons so short, I wonder if the stm even reboots or if it still gets powered through the condensators…

anyways, somehow the firmware was programmed onto the displays, so there HAS to be a solution. :)

The emergency SD boot actually worked. First blue led. Then blue/yellow. Then off. And the file renamed to update.ok.

BUT. The weird part. The unit is still not working after this. Black screen.

This is unit 1. The one that died on the original 4.24->4.30 upgrade.

To be clear. This is suppose to be sourced by the PIN2DMD.upd and NOT the PIN2DMD.bin file?

• Content Provider

9 hours ago, soren said:

The emergency SD boot actually worked. First blue led. Then blue/yellow. Then off. And the file renamed to update.ok.

Does it still register as PIN2DMD on your USB port ? If yes the firmware is fully working and you have a different problem causing the black screen.

Check the voltages on the panel and the connection from pcb to the panel.

9 hours ago, soren said:

To be clear. This is suppose to be sourced by the PIN2DMD.upd and NOT the PIN2DMD.bin file?

Yes. The difference is that the firmware is not checked and simply copied to the local flash of the device.

The faulty unit is now up and running. Thanks for the help and suggestions made here.

The solution was back to backs and program via ST-Link. After this the upgrade to 4.30 via SD Card went smoothly. And that also successded on my no. 2 unit.

I do not bother trying to get DFU to work anymore. However, I found an interesting paragraph in the STM32 documentation, that might explain why it was not working.....

billede.png.04e242f04d376a98bfacfc96b2af5189.png