Junkyard Cats - BAM Edition

TerryRed

• Content Provider

Before I dive right back into working on Silent Hill's hospital levels (which is a big amount of work)... I wanted to try something. I always wanted to try updating a classic FP original table to my own modern day standards with all that I know today... and see what I can do with a "quick" 1 or 2 day update. I don't want to change the gameplay... I just want to update the lighting, add shadows, new mesh inserts, update physics and adjust the table as needed, etc.

I already decided to update the original Blue vs Pink table by Brendan Bailey (PinWizKid). You can see that here:

https://vpuniverse.com/forums/topic/6332-blue-vs-pink-bam-edition-terryred-update/

Well, that apparently wasn't enough for me... so I decided to try to do the same for Junkyard Cats... also created by Brendan Bailey (PinWizKid). I've been showing him the progress, and he's loved what I've shown him so far...

Here is the original 2012 table untouched:

0mRJgIm.png

Here is my BAM Edition update:

- new G.I. lighting (dynamic lighting - x4 hidden flashers in lower and upper plastics)
- added drain flasher for accented lighting
- new BAM post processing
- added shadowmaps to most G.I lights
- added pre-baked shadowmaps (created by BAM) to playfield and plastics textures
- added illuminated look to GI ON plastics texture
- adjusted playfield / plastics / apron, etc texture brightness to better match new lighting
- new 3D model inserts
- new pre-rendered insert textures
- new bump maps for inserts
- disabled glow radius for all inserts
- added sphere maps to the sides of all plastics
- updated GI on/off code
- adjusted GI on/off brightness for all lights / inserts / textures
- added all new FLEEP sounds for all mechanical actions (flippers, bumpers, slings, drain, etc)
- added BAM DF1 physics (updated settings in editor to better work with new physics)
- added invisible ramp blocker to prevent ball from flying off the ramp
- added invisible playield blocker to prevent ball from flying oon top of plastics
- hid slingshot bulbs that interfered with shadowmaps

Additional Contributors:

Schlabber34 - new pre-rendered insert images
FLEEP - new mechanical sounds

ZjLqttJ.png

...and with all the new inserts turned on...

W5Cjd6Q.png

I used BAM to create a shadowmap for the main ambient light and saved it to a transparent TGA. I then added this to the playfield and plastics textures... which looks really nice. Then of course I added shadowmaps to the main G.I. bulbs on the table. I disable Ray Cast Ball shadows for GI flashers, as the bulbs in the slings,etc will cast shadows already.

You can see how nice the bump mapped insert models look.

WuY4Gpv.jpg

u3BJ02u.jpg

yoH3ArM.jpg

This table has some really nice lightshows from the flashers. When you see the table in action with the new lighting and shadows.... it looks fantastic.

zuaGKWW.jpg

I also adjusted the plastics texture to add an "illuminated" look where the GI bulbs are located for when the GI is on. I swap this texture with the normal plastics texture for when the GI is OFF. Then I adjust the brightness of the GI ON texture to match the rest of the table's lighting and post processing.

uUJiYXo.png

All I can say is... wait until you see it in action. The new lighting and shadows and Ray Casting really transforms this table!

I currently have DF1 physics added to the table... with a planned eventual update to DF2 at some point... or maybe a second version of the table with DF2 for those who want to choose.

The plan was the release the updated table, and then do a separate PinEvent update for it after.

I should have a gameplay video showing the before and after soon enough, and maybe the normal table release will follow shortly after.

• 2 months later...

Hi terry i just installed your junkyard cats table and its amazing. I do have a question or two though maybe anyone can answer .

On vpx tables, i would know how to fix this but i know if i start messing around with future pinball ill break it. Lol

Anyway i installed junkyard cats and followed tour instructions to a T. The game runs fine, i enabled the shadows options and it looks amazing. Here is the issue

For some reason im missing about a inch of the top of my playfield. 

When i was in the options menu, enabling the shadows , i checked the backglass settings because nothing was showing up on my full dmd. (It was there but it was just all black) while changing the different backbox setups i noticed one had a call out bar on the bottom, a bunch of arrows it looked like but was hard to see. 

Then i noticed in your photos of the desktop version running, that inch of space i have that is empty is where those arrows are located. 

Is the backglass a 3 screen setup? Or are the arrows supposed to be on the top of our tables? 

Dmdext is loading and just showing a black bar. In vpx id say well there is no rom but with future pinball im unsure.

Any help would be appreciated.

The last two backglass settings bring up the 3rd screen part, or wherever the arrows are supposed to be. 

Hope your feeling better terry. 

I did get one error when i clicked on the full dmd that was being displayed all black and i got the error in the last photo. But that only showed up when i attempted to open the settings for it.i know there is no rom, but i dont know how BAM does its thing.

20220319_171408.jpg

20220319_171419.jpg

20220319_171631.jpg

20220319_163720.jpg

• Content Provider

FP only supports two displays..... playfield and backglass.

DMDext can only mirror the FP "DMD" to a 3rd screen. This table doesn't have that.

You will need to wait for a PinEvent release to get anything on the FullDMD monitor.

The backwall arrows is a result of FP's Arcade mode, and can't be resolved while still showing the "FP" Backglass.

This is why a PinEvent update is a big thing for tables like this on a cabinet.

5 hours ago, TerryRed said:

FP only supports two displays..... playfield and backglass.

DMDext can only mirror the FP "DMD" to a 3rd screen. This table doesn't have that.

You will need to wait for a PinEvent release to get anything on the FullDMD monitor.

The backwall arrows is a result of FP's Arcade mode, and can't be resolved while still showing the "FP" Backglass.

This is why a PinEvent update is a big thing for tables like this on a cabinet.

Ok thats what i figured which is why i didnt go around messing with settings and stuff, you could use backglass 2, the one in the photo with the arrows, they are functioning, they were lighting up and stuff, the table looks great. 

• 1 month later...
  • Content Provider

Junkyard Cats BAM Edition (PinEvent V2) - work in progress

DOF and PUP SSF are done. Time for some insanely crisp PUP DMD visuals!

I just finished my DOF and MX Leds update for PinEvent V2. This table has some fantastic "original" music and sounds created from scratch by Brendan Bailey. It's all very controlled with lots of fun timed sequences which allowed me to make some cool lightshows that are matched to the sounds, music, and guitar riffs.

Now I'm starting to work on the PUPDMD and PuP-Pack. Brendan has kindly provided me with his original art assets from 2012 to use. Many of these were originally created in a 7200x7200 resolution! I mean, no one was really thinking about 4K for a cabinet (or much else) back then.

These assets allows for a new 4K playfield update to a lot of the game's art. You can see how the cats look much crisper on the left (they were drawn in 7K) whereas some background stuff is still in 2K.

This also allows me to use these assets with PUP DMD with extreme clarity for animations, zoom, etc. This PUP update shouldn't take as long as Sonic's to get done. It will be nice to have a slick modern display option for a classic table.

image.thumb.png.7f3de3e5cd093595555f1c1c6a4317a0.png

image.thumb.png.7c160e3dc1c2353f88a2f94cae0261b3.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • Content Provider

Junkyard Cats - BAM Edition (Future Pinball - BAM)

PinEvent V2 Update Preview!

I'm almost done my PinEvent V2 update for my BAM Edition update to Brendan Bailey's classic "original" Future Pinball table.

Brendan made "everything" on this table himself (sounds, music, art, etc). The excellent sequenced music and voice over events allowed me to add fun animated DOF lighting / PUP videos / animated text, all timed to work together.

If you like what I did with BM66's DOF, you'll love this.

I also updated the table with some fixes, and new 4K textures for the playfield, backglass, etc.

If you like Williams System 11 style tables, you'll love this game!

Coming VERY soon.

• TerryRed changed the title to Junkyard Cats - BAM Edition