Blue vs Pink - BAM Edition

TerryRed

• Content Provider

Before I dive right back into working on Silent Hill's hospital levels (which is a big amount of work)... I wanted to try something. I always wanted to try updating a classic FP original table to my own modern day standards with all that I know today... and see what I can do with a "quick" 1 or 2 day update. I don't want to change the gameplay... I just want to update the lighting, add shadows, new mesh inserts, update physics and adjust the table as needed, etc.

I decided to update the original Blue vs Pink table by Brendan Bailey (PinWizKid). I've been showing him the progress, and he's loved what I've shown him so far.

Here is the original 2009 table untouched:

MkCRmJv.jpg

Here is my BAM Edition update:

- new G.I. lighting (dynamic lighting - x4 hidden flashers in lower and upper plastics)
- added drain flasher for accented lighting
- new options for changing G.I. lighting colours (dynamic lighting only)
- new BAM post processing
- added shadowmaps to most lights
- added pre-baked shadowmaps (created by BAM) to playfield and plastics textures
- added "illuminated" look to all plastics for when the GI is on
- adjusted playfield / plastics / apron, etc texture brightness to better match new lighting
- new 3D model inserts
- new pre-rendered insert textures
- new bump maps for inserts
- disabled glow radius for all inserts
- adjusted brightness of all playfield video textures (what a pain!) to better match new lighting
- added sphere maps to the sides of all plastics
- added new GI on/off code
- adjusted GI on/off brightness for all lights / inserts / playfield videos
- added all new FLEEP sounds for all mechanical actions (flippers, bumpers, slings, drain, etc)
- added BAM DF1 physics (updated settings in editor to better work with new physics)... with the intention of trying to add DF2 at some point

Additional Contributors:

@Schlabber34 - new pre-rendered insert images
@FLEEP - amazing new mechanical sounds

uTo0Jhy.jpg

...and with all the new inserts turned on...

70kaQvf.jpg

....and here is the G.I. changed to blue / pink (G.I. flashers only)

HXwbR5e.jpg

...and here is the G.I. changed to blue / red (G.I. flashers only) for those inverted Halo fans

4clLU4d.jpg

I used BAM to create a shadowmap for the main ambient light and saved it to a transparent TGA. I then added this to the playfield and plastics textures... which looks really nice. Then of course I added shadowmaps to the main G.I. bulbs on the table. I disable Ray Cast Ball shadows for GI flashers, as the bulbs in the slings,etc will cast shadows already.

You can see how nice the bump mapped insert models look.

gzaOkNB.jpg

The video overlay on the main playfield was a bit of a pain. Since I am using a darker Lighting and Post Processing setting for BAM... the Overlay on the playfield goes dark (because its not like a HUD overlay or a hologram). So I needed to come up with creative code to adjust the brightness of 100's of frames on the fly (which don't use the same base names for each animation, or the same naming scheme) for GI ON and OFF. What a pain.

OFlJO14.jpg

h3rdSMv.jpg

I also adjusted the plastics texture to add an "illuminated" look where the GI bulbs are located for when the GI is on. I swap this texture with the normal plastics texture for when the GI is OFF. Then I adjust the brightness of the GI ON texture to match the rest of the table's lighting and post processing.

BN5cmlf.jpg

All I can say is... wait until you see it in action. The new lighting and shadows and Ray Casting really transforms this table!

I currently have DF1 physics added to the table... with a planned eventual update to DF2 at some point... or maybe a second version of the table with DF2 for those who want to choose.

The plan was the release the updated table, and then do a separate PinEvent update for it after.

....and here's a video comparison of the 2009 table to my BAM Edition update.

• TerryRed changed the title to Blue vs Pink - BAM Edition