Frustrated newbie here. Can anyone help?

As the title says, I'm a newbie to VPX. I've been following TerryRed's Youtube video guide pretty much to a tee. I'm on the second video (this one here) and at the point where I can start to download tables. However I'm finding this process tedious, confusing, and very frustrating. I'll be playing exclusively on desktop. I should mention that I'm coming over from Future Pinball, where you simply download a table, drop it into the Tables folder and you're good to go.

It appears that you cannot do that with VPX tables. They're comprised of multiple components (table, backglass, rom etc.) which it seems you cannot get all in the same place. I might find what looks like a table download, only to find out it's just the backglass. For instance, I came across (what turned to be) a backglass download for Harley Davidson 3rd Edition. So I tried to find the matching table but to no avail. A search for the ROM also turned up nothing useful. If I do manage to find a table I can actually run, there's always something missing which causes the code to throw up an error and I cannot play the table.

Can anyone help me out here? I'm figuratively pulling my hair out over his.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I agree, it is very confusing at first (I also followed TerryReds videos)

The best way imo, is to download each file and keep those files in a folder on the desktop.

I called the folder (install files)

Inside (install files) I placed each seperate download, in the correct order, in seperate folders.

For example; the first download required is VPX72setup.

So I created a folder and named it.     1.VPX72setup

The second download required is PinMAME

So I created a folder and named it     2.PinMAME

I did this for every seperate download.

The point is, it's very confusing at first to install everything correctly for visual pinball.

However, if you have all the files you need in one place (install files) on my desktop

It's far easier to just start over again from scratch. (I think I did this about 6 times)

Basically, it took me about 4 or 5 days before I had everything working correctly on a single screen. "/

Tho' eventually you will just get it, and will be able to install everything easily.

For tables, roms, pup-packs e.c.t

vpforums.org and vpuniverse.com have pretty much everything you need.

Edited by bennko1000