complete rookie here.

keysjf

• Content Provider
3 hours ago, keysjf said:

Sorry man still not making any sense.  is vpin mame the program I should be using?

VPinballX.exe (VPX) is the program you use to actually play.  Step 5 of the linked guide.  It communicates with vpinmame for tables that require a rom (like Black Knight) but you just need to have the file in the right place and it handles the rest.

Start at the beginning of the guide and go step by step, and you should be fine. 

got some to work but  some still claim they are missing files or version is missing something funhouse  has rom, which i placed in rom folder butalso  l2 file and sl3 files,  where do these go?

Edited by keysjf

Open the table (for editing) in VPX.  click the script icon to view the script.  near-ish the top (a couple of scroollls down max) you'll see the name of the ROM you need for that particular implemntation of the table. some tables have MANY versions of the ROM availbale (usually covering different actual releases or languages) and the default one you may have downloaded doesnt always match the one in the script.  Took me a while to work that out also...

Take it slow, do one table at a time and really dive in to the elements and components it's quite complicated (because there are so many interacting programs if you go full hog) but it does all make sense in the end...

Read the guide that outhere pointed you to. It is basically doing what is explained in that tutorial - again and again. It is true though. A table has code, that tells it what rom to use. Do what LegoYoda said. Scroll in the script - in almost all cases you find a line .... cgamename=xxxxx - xxxx being the rom file you need and that is the same as explaind in the link that outhere mentioned. afm_113b.zip

Once you're able to do this once, it soon becomes second nature.

• Content Provider
9 hours ago, keysjf said:

got some to work but  some still claim they are missing files or version is missing something funhouse  has rom, which i placed in rom folder butalso  l2 file and sl3 files,  where do these go?

Some rom .zips act as patches for previous versions, so they don't contain the files they didn't change from the base.  Simplest answer... is to get all of them*, and place them in your roms folder individually.

*Excluding obvious duplicates, like alternate languages.

Edited by Wylte

ok how do i open the table for editing?   I have funhouse and it starts off saying this was saved by a newr version so it might not run right and then it says rom not found then it freezes and I have to use task manager to get back to the desktop.  i am stumped scripts? how to open them, where do I get roms? 

Edited by keysjf

• Administrators
1 hour ago, keysjf said:

ok how do i open the table for editing?   I have funhouse and it starts off saying this was saved by a newr version so it might not run right and then it says rom not found then it freezes and I have to use task manager to get back to the desktop.  i am stumped scripts? how to open them, where do I get roms? 

You should just learn the basics first before you want to edit shit.... your so new you cant even run a table,,.,, you need to slow down ....and do some reading...if you cant  do that then dont post this shit ok?😉

16 hours ago, keysjf said:

So, when you open VPX it comes up with an "open" dialogue... this will open AND play the table... if you cancel that then go file>> open it opens for editing....

Go have a look on youtube as thre are some great step by step guides on getting started with VPX and the SW side of VP...

Virtual Pinball is a hobby much like any other -- it takes commitment and a willingness to learn the basics before diving into the complicated stuff.  Just buying a jigsaw, a lathe, a sander, and finishers does not make you a woodworker.  There are plenty of people here who are willing to assist with the nuances of a very complex system with a lot of moving parts, but they don't have the time to spoon-feed everyone who asks the most elementary questions.  Those answers are to be found in YouTube tutorials and Wikis that already exist all over the Web.

Once you have used those resources to learn how VPX software works (as well as basic Microsoft Windows commands) you will find willing forum members eager to help with the hidden, table-specific features.

This post is not meant to offend or insult -- we all started at the same point, and with fewer available "helpers." VP is rewarding and fun, but there is much to learn.  I am still learning.