Subscription System Suggestions

• Administrators

I have given this a LOT of thought and if I were financially stable; I'd host the site for free, for everyone, forever.  Unfortunately, I am not and have to rely on community assistance to keep this place alive.  If it weren't for donations that VPUniverse has received from our community; this site would have been gone right along with VPinball. 

Just to share a little information and transparency... In 27 days the site has had just a little over 12TB in file transfers alone, this does not account for normal site transfer data. The sites S3 bill for this month, with 3 days still to go, is a little over $1200 USD. This does not include the webserver/hosting that runs the main site which is another $60-70. During the last maintenance I made some major changes to help with speed, stability and security. I moved things around a bit that should help mitigate transfer costs.  Advertising revenue is nil.  Google Ads paid roughly $100 every 3 months and any other ads, such as Zebsboards, that you see have always been my way to support people selling products for the community. Nothing has ever been exchanged for them. It's painfully obvious that donations alone are not going to be able to sustain the financial requirements of this site. 

I have deactivated Donations and working to have the following subscription options activated... If there are any questions or concerns please provide feedback.

First and foremost; Content Creators -Content Creators are those people that help further the digital pinball hobby.  Anyone that develops applications we use (PinMAME, Virtual Pinball, Future Pinball, etc), Table authors, table creation teams, artists, etc.  If you are a content creator, your creations are your subscription.  If you are a content creator and do not see your name in Green; please contact me. Of course; you are welcome to subscribe to support the site, but everything our content creators do supports the site!

Name in Green in forums an Discord
Unlimited everything
Tip Me/Beer Me - Ability to accept tips/donations for your creations 
VIP Access for creating content for our hobby.  

We are forced to limit speeds and impose download limits for the free memberships. This is mainly due to curb those trying to scrape data from the site.  Strict membership registration rules are in place for security and to help maintain site stability.  The Free tier will remain as it has been. 

Free Membership
Maximum Download Speed - 2500kb (this may be increased)
Time user must wait before download starts - 45 sec
Maximum simultaneous downloads - 2
Maximum downloads per day (24 hour period) - 35
Limited Club Access
* Possibility to earn more downloads by participating in the community

Unfortunately, the bills gotta be paid... 

If you have made a donation to the site in the past; don't worry... all is not forgotten. I'll make sure that you are taken care of.  You will have lifetime Gold access (minimum), but feel free to subscribe to one of the tiers below if you'd like to continue your support. 

We are working with table creators & content creators to give limited exclusivity/early release to supporting user groups.  Perhaps, offer a limited early release period prior to full public release or open up Alpha/Beta testing to supporting members, etc. 

Silver Level - 10.00 /1 year
Silver Supporting Member Logo in Forums
Maximum Download Speed - Unlimited
Time user must wait before download starts - 15 sec
Maximum simultaneous downloads - 6
Maximum downloads per day (24 hour period) - 250
Clubs - Join various community clubs
* Earn Community Achievements - coming soon.

Gold Level - 25.00 /1 year - Name in Gold in forums and Discord
Supporting Member Logo in Forums
Full Access - All site features unlocked
Time user must wait before download starts - 0 sec
Maximum simultaneous downloads - Unlimited
Maximum downloads per day - Unlimited
Google Ads Removed

Access to private areas and additional site features  

VIP Monthly Multi-Pass - $10 first month then $5.00 per month after - Until cancelled - For those that want to continuously support VPUniverse.com + Name in Purple in forums and Discord
VIP Logo in Forums

Google Ads Removed

Access to VIP sections & private discussions 

VIP Monthly Multi-Pass - $60/1 year - Same as above, but one yearly price instead of monthly. + Name in Purple in forums and Discord
VIP Logo in Forums

Google Ads Removed

VIP All-Access - $150/Lifetime - All of the above + Name in Purple in forums and Discord
VIP Logo in Forums

Google Ads Removed

I'm always looking for ways to create new features on the site, so new features may be added at any time.

Dazz,

Seems like a very reasonable approach. I really like you are giving creators a pass on subscriptions.  Great idea.  As someone who isn't a developer or artist, I try and provide some help on the forums where I can so I can contribute a little.  Being fairly new the the hobby my knowledge doesn't allow me to contribute as much as I would like.  Offering a subscription would be a great way to allow people who aren't able to contribute in other ways to still give back to the community by paying the bills :-). Hopefully, as I spend more time in this hobby  I can contribute in other ways as well. 

If you make this happen you can consider me a VIP All-Access Lifetime signup!

Thanks again for all your support!

After started this visual pinball  thing just two years ago and downloaded around 1000 tables, i think it is about time i pay something for all the hard work of the creators.

I think this idea is more than fair. I will sign up when this goes into effect.

I'm in for gold.  The lifetime option is cool but could put you in a pickle down the road.   I would lower the daily downloads for free members as well.   Is it possible to put new content behind a members subscription level.  I.e.  VIP gets new content 1 month before Gold and 2 months before silver and 3 before free?  Seems silly but these things might encourage more people to subscribe and even subscribe at higher levels to access sooner.  

• Administrators
1 hour ago, kuvo said:

I'm in for gold.  The lifetime option is cool but could put you in a pickle down the road.   I would lower the daily downloads for free members as well.   Is it possible to put new content behind a members subscription level.  I.e.  VIP gets new content 1 month before Gold and 2 months before silver and 3 before free?  Seems silly but these things might encourage more people to subscribe and even subscribe at higher levels to access sooner.  

The Lifetime option is a limited time offer for right now.  Just something to get the ball rolling.  I honestly didn't even realize that people would be willing to pay $150 for it. I've been messaged several times saying it's too low, etc.  I don't run this site as a cash grab... Everything raised so far goes into a bank account that I'm using strictly for site related costs. For me this site has always been about the community first and foremost.

I've been told that the free tier limits are generous multiple times... I'm afraid to lower the limits because I don't want to turn people off or push them to other less official file locations.  I think 35 files daily is a good place to get people addicted.  It should give a person time to setup and test their games, yet slow down the file hoarders a little bit.

As far as getting new content a little early prior to public release... that's definitely something that I'd love for Content Creators to consider.  

Dazz, thanks for thinking things through and coming up with a reasonable approach to help keep this hobby alive. I built my first full-sized cab in the early days of the pandemic, and it wouldn't have been possible without sites like this one. I lack the technical skills to be a content creator, but I'm happy to provide financial support when I'm able. I'm looking forward to seeing how the site evolves and the community grows. 

Thanks again for your efforts. I'm sure we all appreciate it.