How to upload firmware on Pin2dmd evo

BenHur

the DFU drivers live inside the installation folder in PROGRAM FILES/DFUSE.
Simply update the drivers of the STM32 from within Device manager, find the folder I mentioned above and be done.

Just putting this out there so you do not have to struggle like myself for 2 days, reading forums with incomplete instructions.

• 11 months later...
On 12/5/2019 at 5:15 PM, lucky1 said:

The evo board needs to be powered and have a USB connection to your PC. Then hold the DFU button and press/release the reset button to get into DFU mode to upload the firmware using the DFU utility.

Process is described under 1.2 here https://pin2dmd.com/installation/ 

Where is the DFU button and reset button I see one white button on a microprocessor where the USB comes in is this it?? or is this another board.

Is there a reset button and DFU button or are you talking about the same thing?? @lucky1

• Content Provider
1 hour ago, charlespinball said:

Where is the DFU button and reset button I see one white button on a microprocessor where the USB comes in is this it?? or is this another board.

Is there a reset button and DFU button or are you talking about the same thing?? @lucky1

I guess you have a custom board and not a EVO. If yes, ask the manufacturer of the board for support.

See https://pin2dmd.com/hardware/#2.3

@lucky1  Ok I am looking for  the driver pinDMD3.inf cant find it anywhere. Any idea where I could get this driver??

Also is there any way to use pinDMDIgImg.exe to send an animated gif or vide from the command line. I know you can send a single image with dmdext but I am wondering if there is also another way to do it??

• 2 months later...

hi i was told to ask

by australia he gave me a pindmd as a gift 

well i had to buy other parts and sweet talk but hes a great guy 

that said 

the pindmd is  currently winusb(v10.0.19041.1 or the othere thing i found is pin2dmd v2.36a colorprism

chris said if i ask you might give me the newer firmware so i can run the ne 64 bit color dmd 

is this posible 

i love haveing a real dmd instead of a lcd 

but 64 bit color ive been told is to die for 

and you bought out a ne version the the files wip tonight

please reply to [email protected] 

quickest 

or 

[email protected] ill get it slower

looked at dmd on my pinball and it sayscolorprism 4.3

• Content Provider
1 hour ago, trevorcow said:

hi i was told to ask

by australia he gave me a pindmd as a gift 

well i had to buy other parts and sweet talk but hes a great guy 

that said 

the pindmd is  currently winusb(v10.0.19041.1 or the othere thing i found is pin2dmd v2.36a colorprism

chris said if i ask you might give me the newer firmware so i can run the ne 64 bit color dmd 

is this posible 

i love haveing a real dmd instead of a lcd 

but 64 bit color ive been told is to die for 

and you bought out a ne version the the files wip tonight

please reply to [email protected] 

quickest 

or 

[email protected] ill get it slower

looked at dmd on my pinball and it sayscolorprism 4.3

https://pin2dmd.com/installation/

• 2 months later...

i heard a friend of mine had problems with dfuse and windows11, taking a look on the net i found someone who used the stm32 cube programmer and used the bin file instead of the dfu one, is it possible?

does it work?

• Content Provider
14 hours ago, darden78 said:

i heard a friend of mine had problems with dfuse and windows11, taking a look on the net i found someone who used the stm32 cube programmer and used the bin file instead of the dfu one, is it possible?

does it work?

the firmware is the same in dfu and bin. So yes it is possible.

• Content Provider
9 hours ago, darden78 said:

windows11 the dfuse demo doesn't work.

I have it running on Win11 but if you have installed the cube programmer it might be that you have overwritten the dfuse drivers with the cube drivers.

• 2 months later...

I finished assembling one of my EVO boards and am working on getting the firmware loaded, but have a few issues. I am able to put the board into DFU mode and see it in Dfuse. Since I am not using a Devebox board I assume I dont need to worry about any jumpers? I am able to select the firmware and let it update. I do get a waring since its in DFU mode it cant make sure the file is compatible. It finishes updating then I power cycle and get nothing no display. I have checked all the components and everything looks good other than the 5v it seems low at 4.75. Bat60 is measuring 3.01 on the output but 3.3 on the in I have read that changing that out to a OR might help. Any help would be appreciated. Also I am using a

STM32F427VIT6 from Digikey. 

Edited by TheDaringDirk

• Content Provider
7 hours ago, TheDaringDirk said:

I finished assembling one of my EVO boards and am working on getting the firmware loaded, but have a few issues. I am able to put the board into DFU mode and see it in Dfuse. Since I am not using a Devebox board I assume I dont need to worry about any jumpers? I am able to select the firmware and let it update. I do get a waring since its in DFU mode it cant make sure the file is compatible. It finishes updating then I power cycle and get nothing no display. I have checked all the components and everything looks good other than the 5v it seems low at 4.75. Bat60 is measuring 3.01 on the output but 3.3 on the in I have read that changing that out to a OR might help. Any help would be appreciated. Also I am using a

STM32F427VIT6 from Digikey. 

Common error with DFUSE is to use the Upgrade or Verify Option instead of the Upload Action, which leads to the original file beeing overwritten with a empty file. Please redownload the firmware and try the DFU pin2dmd.exe Device - Upload function.

6 hours ago, lucky1 said:

Common error with DFUSE is to use the Upgrade or Verify Option instead of the Upload Action, which leads to the original file beeing overwritten with a empty file. Please redownload the firmware and try the DFU pin2dmd.exe Device - Upload function.

Thanks for the reply. I was unable to get pin2dmd to see the display originally thats why I switched to DFUSE and per the instructions is does say to use the upgrade option not the upload is that an error in the instructions?  I am good to go now though I had to switch what windows drivers were being loaded when the display is plugged in and pin2dmd was able to see it and upload just fine. Thanks again for the help!

• Content Provider
18 hours ago, TheDaringDirk said:

per the instructions is does say to use the upgrade option not the upload is that an error in the instructions

No, my fault. I mixed that up . Instructions are right !