Colorization algorithm suggestion to Lucky1

One "feature"  that should be really easy to add, and would be super helpful, is the ability to set an animation as "uninterruptable".    Or at the very least, uninterruptable by itself.  

I think I spend more time fighting with animations that restart themselves than anything else.

Example: In the Getaway project, there's the 2nd ball lock sequence where the car drives by the donut house.    The ROM sometimes misses drawing the car at all (on at least 1 plane), which results in the same as the first frame.    I've broken the first frame into its own individual frame, but this basically means each and every step in the animation needs to be individually keyframed and drawn if it's going to work correctly.     Then there are 3 permutations of the same thing too (depending on how many police cars are parked).   

There's actually nothing dynamic about the scene once it starts, so if there was simply a way to let one animation roll uninterrupted, it would be way less painful. 

Another thing would be the ability to have a hash on all planes combined.    I've run into some things are tough to detect the start of correctly with only one of the planes. 

• Content Provider

I remember that we had it that way a time ago and then stumbled over a some scenes that needed to be interrupted by itself.

Keyframing every single frame or at least splitting the scene into short sequences is currently the most reliable method for scenes

like HK in T2 because you never know when the bomb explodes and otherwise it would always explode at the same position.

Please open a issues for Steve on github to keep track of it because he is not here very often.

• Content Provider
6 hours ago, lucky1 said:

like HK in T2 because you never know when the bomb explodes and otherwise it would always explode at the same position.

The reticle animation could play and not get interrupted by itself but then the explosion could interrupt. It makes sense in my head but I'm better at coloring dots than explaining things :)

13 minutes ago, malenko said:

The reticle animation could play and not get interrupted by itself but then the explosion could interrupt. It makes sense in my head but I'm better at coloring dots than explaining things :)

I second that!  It does sound like some of these ideas would've helped with some of the scenes in Royal Rumble....the Sleeper Pops animation comes to mind, I still haven't got it correct yet but I'm wondering if paying attention to the different planes would help me here?  I colored all of RR not doing anything with the different planes?  I do not fully grasp the planes concept yet.

• Content Provider

I don´t doubt that improvements can be implemented to make colorization of some scenes easier, and that is why we need to keep track of these ideas,
but the focus in development is still on how to get scenes done at all.

Released projects like AFM, TSPP, SF3, T2 and Baywatch show that you can solve most of the problems with the current implementation.

Exceptions are scenes like video mode in T2 where methods are still missing , which for me personally has a higher priority in development
if Steve has some spare time to waste to work on his editor, which currently does not seem to be the case.

Of course ,if you are capable of programming in java you are very welcome to join us and make new implementations and send a pull request on github.

• Content Provider

I have no programming knowledge, just some work related power shell scripting.

SFII, T2, and Baywatch....I worked on all of those :)   Ive gotten a lot better at making things work, but adds a lot of work.

16 hours ago, lucky1 said:

I remember that we had it that way a time ago and then stumbled over a some scenes that needed to be interrupted by itself.

Keyframing every single frame or at least splitting the scene into short sequences is currently the most reliable method for scenes

Please open a issues for Steve on github to keep track of it because he is not here very often.

Sure, but that is why I'm suggesting it be a setting... like a new type (Replace, ColorMask, ReplaceNoInterrupt, ColorMaskNoInterrupt).   I also would not want to break existing colorizations that now expect this behavior.

Other than exposing the setting it's more of a change in Freezy's and your DLL's colorization algorithms to support it (probably not hard to do).      So I'd want your buy-in on any design change ideas before requesting them from Steve.  

I just think this is something that's probably very easy to do from a coding perspective, that will make the colorizations much easier to accomplish.   As opposed to the T2 video mode thing, which will probably require extensive development to complete.    

Are the pin2dmd editor sources buildable?     I saw they get committed on github but wasn't sure if they were fully functional.   I know you guys have licensing stuff in there, which is typically at odds with fully open source code.  If I can build a functioning version, I may take a stab at it.   Not a big Java guy but I can probably find my way around it, just another f'n language. :)

Archived