Startup trouble

Ciceronic

Hello

This is my first try setting up a virtual pinball. I have STM32, display panels etc, but no shield. Just wired the led-panels to STM pins.

I have made programming, connection,

I have the PIN2DMD-logo running at the panels,

I have text "Virtual Pinball" in red under the logo. Before it said "not activated", so I assume I got the activation correct.

So far ok I think, but I can't get signal from the PC.

STM32 Board has 4 green lights constantly on, powered by the MINI-usb connected at the PC usb socket.

Green light seems good, but something mst be wrong.

If I connect a MICRO-usb from the computer to the board, the PC hangs at BIOS saying something about Usb power. As soon I disconnect MICRO, the PC boots.

I tried a MICRO-special, with powerpins bypassed = Only data +, data -. Then PC boots, Windows finds a unknown device, but I can not manage to assign the driver to it.

If MINI is disconnected, and only MICRO connected, the board shows no lights + nothing on the display panels.

Any ideas highly appreciated! 

I feed the panels with a separate old PC PSU. Should be ok and enough current.

I think it's something round the STM32 board. It's almost like a short curcuit when I connect the MICRO-Usb cable.

I've checked the instructions over and over, but I can't find what I'm missing...  so frustrating...

Picture of STM32 board and panels. Power from Mini Usb.

Powering STM32 only by Micro USB is impossible, but according to everything I read it should have worked...

Display looks nice, but a bit boring with nothing else than the PIN2DMD logo all the time ;)

Cic_PIN2DMD.jpg

• Content Provider
11 hours ago, Ciceronic said:

Picture of STM32 board and panels. Power from Mini Usb.

Powering STM32 only by Micro USB is impossible, but according to everything I read it should have worked...

Display looks nice, but a bit boring with nothing else than the PIN2DMD logo all the time ;)

O.K. is a chinese copy . The ST logo and board revision is also missing on the upper right of the pcb.

It is the same like this 

Powering the ST through microusb is only working with a wire bridge from PA9 to 5V pin of the pcb.

Since this seemed to be useless, I spent some time "repairing" it. What I found is the MicroUsb socket must be upside down. Simple measuring showed that the +5V pin at a normal MicroUsb cable is routed to the boards common ground!! WTF!

So I made some soldering. Put the faulty socket off, and soldered a Usb-cable directly to the board. Correct this time.

Now, Windows find something at least and PC boots without any problem.

But when I start Zadig install tool, I don't have any PIN2DMD at the dropdown list??

What to do here? Does it look normal?

STM32 Zadig.jpg

Ok, Thanks for all help!

I got it working now!! I found another China STM32 board that I had forgotten (Too much stuff?? Yes I think so..).

This also had the same faulty MicroUsb socket, so I built a reversed MicroUsb cable, connected, flashed, and installed driver.  All fine. Extra wire from PA9 to 5V also working for powering the board.

Only thing is another hardware means I need a new activation code, but that's cheap and fast compared to buying new hardware.

BIG WARNING for those who buy China-STM32's: The MicroUsb socket/cable must be upside-down compared to the MiniUsb socket/cable!

Otherwise you'll fry your board, or even worse your computer. Wrong MicroUsb socket makes the board a complete short-curcuit.

Archived