Simulating Force Feedback with Subwoofer

mborz

I've got a pretty big subwoofer with my cabinet, and I noticed that when playing certain tables, the low frequencies in some of the sounds loosely simulate forced feedback.  But it completely depends on the table and the sounds it uses.

I edited a table and altered a few of the sounds (flippers, bumpers, etc) using a wav editor to have a quick burst of low frequencies at the beginning of the wav, and I think it has some potential in my case.

However, I don't want to edit every table, and I haven't been able to find a way to augment the sounds outside of editing each table.  I am pretty new to this, though, and don't know exactly what to search or look for.

The VisualPinballX "Keys Nudge and DOF" menu under preferences has DOF or SoundFX as options for various actions that seem like I might be able to tap into.  I have found a lot of information about DOF, but none for SoundFX.

I've never done anything with DOF, but would that be a consideration here?  Meaning, is there a toy/effect/whatever that does something like this?  Or, given that DOF is extensible, could something be written to associate events with additional sounds?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

• Content Provider

soundfx definition is inside the controller.vbs, with comments, you can override the behaviour of the command there but i don't see like this how you can do what you want to do without changing tables, but at least you have some more infos ;)

Sent from tapatalk

I've got a Buttkicker mounted under my couch, and was wondering the same thing, LFE to simulate kicks / contactors and rumble. The kicks can be quite immense, things will fall apart if not screwn together and I absolutely would not have spinning rust (hard drive) anywhere near the cabinet :) I would imagine a Buttkicker could literally make the cab move itself if left unchecked, not sure if it's even safe for the electronics. Playfield glass could shatter. The Moon could be affected. Erhmm.  C-:

I'm loving the idea though! Been thinking about it for a while. Contactors are good, but can be quite noisy during the evenings and it's a bit stressfull after work. Seems the simplest initial effort could be to trigger LFE sounds of varying intensity and strength on trigger, basically a device of its own (sound). Just for kicker and slingshots themselves could be huge.

• 3 months later...

Archived